Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5466

Last Updated:7/29/11 10:27 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories    Skirts
cmarie12 said... (8/12/11 9:41 AM) Reply
These are a perfect example of how the fabric makes the skirt. All of your skirts are awesome and it was interesting to read about your journey learning various lining techniques. You make me want to go home pull out my straight skirt pattern and whip up a couple versions of my own!
Anne Cherry said... (7/30/11 3:26 AM) Reply
Hi Frantic - another Sydneysider! I found the Marimekko-like print at Rockdale Spotlight! Had to do a double-take when I saw it...but there it was...in amongst the quilting cottons!! It's a definite knock off but I don't think most can tell. I've been a Marimekko fan for years ...may just lash out and make a skirt out of the 'real thing'...but for now, my version works just fine. In fact, I wore it today! The black-on-taupe was a fashion fabric from Remnant Warehouse in Alexandria. As usual, I wasn't looking for it....which is when I always find 'perfect things'! I try to let myself go when this happens cos I know from repeat disappointments that I have a hard time finding what I want when I have a set thing in my head!!
rivergum said... (7/30/11 0:04 AM) Reply
Oooh, I love your prints! I don't really wear skirts, but I like the Ikea prints for light between season jackets to wear with plain pants. The marimekko and black-on-taupe are prints to die for. Where did you buy them?
Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 7:17 PM) Reply
Mareac - Aaagh! I went back and re-read the contest rules (3rd time!). This is the first PR contest I've entered...realise now that entries need to be sewn within a specific timeframe. Ha! Wouldn't it be fantastic to have time in a month to make seven skirts!!! I've written to the contest moderator and requested to be removed. Sigh.
Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 7:16 PM) Reply
ArtAttack - Du bist verklempt...Ich bin verruckt nach diesen Rocken! No, I am not fluent in German :P Give this pattern a try. I think I always preferred narrow pants/jeans because they were more slimming on me. I am larger on top and anything that puffs out around my waist/hips just makes me look larger all over. I think this straight skirt achieves the 'sleeker' look that pants/jeans do.
Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 7:15 PM) Reply
MaryMary86 - Since I began sewing again last Nov, I've become much more aware of what I feel best in. Have had several 'royal chucks' (as mother always called closet/drawer clean outs). Now I have only clothes that I really wear!
Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 7:14 PM) Reply
Sewiing Sue - Hmmm - will definitely look for 'colour grabber'. I still have some of the quilt cottons so I could recreate my faves (eg: Marimeko-like Print and Crazy Zig Zag) once I've washed with colour grab. Though, they have both been pre-washed...is it too late to 'colour grab'?
Anne Cherry said... (7/29/11 7:11 PM) Reply
Sew4Fun - Thanks! I think the different fabrics let me get away with the same pattern.
JenniferBee said... (7/29/11 7:01 PM) Reply
Great Skirts and fabric choices, love them all.
no7262 said... (7/29/11 1:19 PM) Reply
I love them all! Nora :)
marec said... (7/29/11 12:30 PM) Reply
Great review and a nice collection of skirts. I love the fabrics chosen. Which of these are for the contest? I only see one made during the month-am I missing something?
ArtAttack said... (7/29/11 11:46 AM) Reply
Wow! I'm verklempt! What a fabulous wardrobe of skirts! I've never been much of a skirt kind of girl but you've convinced me to convert! Great review!
marymary86 said... (7/29/11 10:48 AM) Reply
Nicely done! Great review and a great skirt. All I want is a small collection of TNT patterns. I love your philosophy!
Sewiing Sue said... (7/29/11 10:01 AM) Reply
There is a difference between apparel cotton and quilting cotton, but the latter shouldn't fade. (I'm trying to find the article on the techincal difference.) When washing before cutting, use a color grabber product. If you get quality quilting fabric, it shouldn't fade--where I live that would be about $10 a yard, given the recent price increases in cotton. Every skirt you made is lovely. Re the thickness of the flat-lined skirt, maybe using a 3/8 SA (industry width) would help. Great review!
Sew4Fun said... (7/29/11 9:32 AM) Reply
Gorgeous skirts Anne! I'm all for sewing the same pattern if you love to wear it. I certainly do.
Lynnelle said... (6/20/11 1:34 PM) Reply
Wonderful skirts! Very stylish.
marthamyers said... (4/9/11 8:41 AM) Reply
Fabulous skirts! Love the lining in the dotted one.
Sharonspils said... (4/9/11 4:51 AM) Reply
Great skirts and you just have to have a TNT.
cleverkitty said... (4/8/11 9:02 PM) Reply
these all look wonderful, it's great to have pattern that works out so well.
Anne Cherry said... (3/31/11 7:44 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the encouragement! Really appreciate it! Now going to try underlining with silk organza for a loose woven b+w 'birds eye' wool version :-)
Terri A said... (3/29/11 2:55 AM) Reply
All your skirts are fantastic!
barebear said... (3/28/11 11:46 PM) Reply
Wow! These skirts are great! My fav is (of course) the crazy fabric one you show above, but they're all lovely. Thanks for the excellent review!
sewtime said... (3/28/11 9:39 PM) Reply
What a cute skirt, really love the design!!
Christas said... (3/28/11 5:40 PM) Reply
WOW!!! Each version you have made of this pattern is absolutely WONDERFUL! You definitely have found your TNT skirt pattern. I would love each one of your skirts to be in MY closet! :-)
katlew03 said... (3/27/11 10:37 PM) Reply
Very nice. Good basic pattern.
renren said... (3/27/11 3:30 AM) Reply
These skirts are fabulous! I loved the zigzag/Missoni type one in the gallery window; then I opened the review and was just continually wowed with each new skirt! Fabulous and thanks for bringing the flat lining tip to my attention as well as the Threads DVDs!
JETrinity said... (2/17/11 11:08 AM) Reply
Very nice job on sewing. Congratulations on your first review and look forward to more.
Danvillegirl said... (1/20/11 5:30 AM) Reply
Nice skirt, love your fabric.
Scheryka said... (1/19/11 8:30 AM) Reply
This pattern is also my TNT. Your fabric IS quite fun. Very pretty colors.
Anne Cherry said... (1/19/11 7:54 AM) Reply
Thanks FreyaStark - I really enjoyed making it...and wearing it's even better! Majorily reinforces all my reasons for getting back into sewing clothes again! Loving it! But not getting much else done! ;P
FreyaStark said... (1/19/11 5:06 AM) Reply
Very pretty - and congratulations on your first PR review!

Self Drafted Pattern 320380-1001