Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4244 (Men's PJs)

Reviewed by:dfr2010

About dfr2010star
FL USA
Member since: 3/27/10
Posted on:1/22/11 2:38 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Sleepwear / Loungewear
Margaret said... (1/24/11 2:35 PM) Reply
I think they look good and comfortable! Nice job. Thanks for the tip on elastic vs. fabric weight. I hadn't thought of the weight of the garment affecting how tight the elastic needs to be, and I think I've often spent more time in trial-and-error mode than I needed to because of this.
glenj said... (1/23/11 6:43 AM) Reply
The pants look fine.I used a mccalls pattern once for pj's,they were so BIG everywhere that they had to be taken in,up and waist shortened.now I use a KS pattern i only need to shorten the top so they fit on his hips.Teens can be a challenge to sew for,my son is the easy one in the family.
dfr2010 said... (1/22/11 2:59 PM) Reply
Barb - I insisted he pull the "waist"band up to the top of his hipbones for the pic. Eyerolling and an audible sigh ensued ... at least he has enough of a butt that they don't actually fall off the the (very) low point he was wearing them at! And I already took the side seams in a bit from what the pattern had. Hanging to the knees seems to be his ideal.
MNBarb said... (1/22/11 2:56 PM) Reply
Ah yes, sewing for a teenage son. I can relate. I had to fit my son on-the-fly for his last garment. What I don't know about PJ pants for teenage boys is, should the waistband be low and the crotch shortened, or is the hang-to-the-knees-no-binding-anywhere long crotch the goal? I hope these flannel pants get worn. They look loose and comfy, in a godd way. I think he might be disappointed when it comes to comfort if the legs are slimmed down. If all else fails you could turn down the thermostat and he'll be looking for the nappy warmth of flannel.

Self Drafted Pattern 281988-1008