Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 3087 (Mens 1954 Sport Shirt)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:1/28/11 2:12 PM
JETrinity said... (2/19/11 5:34 PM) Reply
How clever the front buttons are for getting into the shirt. Great job.
craftygamma said... (1/29/11 5:57 PM) Reply
I like it! But then I'm kind of vintage, too.
Vintage Joan said... (1/29/11 5:09 PM) Reply
Just to clarify, when I said "I don't think my 27-yr.-old son is likely to beg me to make this shirt any time soon; the style probably wouldn't appeal to the majority of men. It's more an artist's shirt, in a way" -- I didn't mean that at ALL as a negative thing. I meant, not everyone would "get" this shirt. Not everyone "gets" Cy Twombly or Eric Satie, either, but hey...
Peter in NYC said... (1/29/11 10:24 AM) Reply
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the feedback!
no7262 said... (1/29/11 8:58 AM) Reply
Peter, I love it! I think that it looks very stylish! If I had someone in my life to make it for I would. Nora :)
Margaret said... (1/29/11 7:43 AM) Reply
I think this is a neat change from the usual shirt. Nice work as always.
Tarrbaby said... (1/29/11 7:14 AM) Reply
I like the style actually, it is very "Donna Reed, Father Know's Best" looking. I am having buttonhole envy, mine never look this clean no matter what I do. Maybe I need to find a machine that only does buttonholes, or send my stuff to you to do them for me. As the others have said impeccable workmanship.
carolynw said... (1/28/11 11:28 PM) Reply
Peter I think your work as usual on this shirt is absolutely top notch but it is definitely not one of my faves for you -mainly because it seems just too big on you - you have a nice slim body (like my sons) and this does not do it justice. As another reviwer has said - my sons and husband would not ask for this to be done as they have some of your other shirts - after I got brave enough to show them just how a well home sewn shirt could look - if I took the time. Maybe I should join your Men's Shirt Sew Along? So bottom line - good work but not the best fit
Rhonda in Montreal said... (1/28/11 6:15 PM) Reply
There were nicer "things" made in 1954, Peter... ;)
brrmm said... (1/28/11 6:07 PM) Reply
Hey Peter, I REALLY love it !! Men's fashion can be so tedious, it's great to see a bloke in a shirt other than the ubiquitous front buttoned job. I love unusual styles, keep 'em coming.
Rhoda K said... (1/28/11 3:58 PM) Reply
What a beautiful job on the shirt and agree that your work is outstanding! I always enjoy seeing what comes next!
Vintage Joan said... (1/28/11 3:47 PM) Reply
Oh my, that is one cool, unique shirt. I love it! (And I'm not just biased because of the date it was issued, lol.) Top-notch work and review, as usual. P.S. re my opinion of the shirt, since you asked. I don't think my 27-yr.-old son is likely to beg me to make this shirt any time soon; the style probably wouldn't appeal to the majority of men. It's more an artist's shirt, in a way. But if I were a man I would totally wear this. And can't you just picture this worn in a classy British film set in the 1950's? (Ha -- pipe photo -- it seems you get this same sort of vibe from the shirt, lol.)
JillyBe said... (1/28/11 3:01 PM) Reply
I read your blog posting (& most of the comments) about this shirt, & I have to say I'm in the "not a big fan of the design" camp. It just looks like a mis-match between the collar & the sleeves w/ cuffs. That said, your work, as always, is impeccable! And of course your vintage 'research' is invaluable, & your humour & story-telling unparalleled!

by: JayG