Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Ottobre Woman Magazine> 05-2009-19 (Soft Shell outdoorjacket)

Review submitted in Active Wear 2011 Contest

Last Updated:1/31/11 7:22 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
RachelStonebreaker said... (3/3/11 4:59 PM) Reply
I love your jacket! I, too, have a terrible time with zippers buckling. I've been looking up how to fix a particular problem I have with an invisible zipper on a fine mesh (one of those dance dresses with the see-through mesh above the bust and over the shoulders). It lays fine in the velvet bodice but buckles horribly in the upper bodice mesh. I haven't solved it yet, but it looks like, so far, the problem is because the zipper tape is heavier and less stretchy than the fashion fabric. Your zipper may have that problem as well. It looks like it's actually longer than the opening. I'm wondering if, contrary to what all sewing blogs talk about zipper tapes shrinking, yours and mine are actually too long? I love your jacket, regardless of the little wobble!
ElizabethDee said... (2/7/11 12:02 PM) Reply
It looks gorgeous to me -- very sporty and well fitted. The zippers look RTW, too. (Maybe put yourself to the 4 foot rule -- or whatever distance it is -- whereby if you can't see it from that distance, you are being overly perfectionistic?). Kudos.
Annette1 said... (2/5/11 0:42 AM) Reply
VERY, VERY nice and beautifully made. I love the color combination AND the snowflake label. :o)
lynnewill said... (2/4/11 11:12 PM) Reply
I like the color contrast as well as your color choices. The label is the perfect personal touch. I applaude you expanding your skills it sets a great example for us all to step outside of our comfort zone. Well done!
pmac said... (2/4/11 10:12 PM) Reply
Great looking jacket - I like your color choice and placement. Thanks for the detailed review with photos.
AnneM said... (2/4/11 8:48 PM) Reply
Let me tell you, I certainly didn't notice your 'wobbly zipper' in the picture of you wearing it. I think it looks great. I just love your snowflake label!
becca a said... (2/4/11 8:05 PM) Reply
I love your jacket! I think I may need to locate a copy of this issue of Ottobre. Your snowflake label is great as is your use of the 2 colors.
Sigrid. said... (2/2/11 4:28 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. I plan to make this, love to see it made up. It fits you well.
Sigrid. said... (2/2/11 4:28 AM) Reply
o3b said... (2/1/11 4:51 AM) Reply
Love your jacket! Thanks for reminding me of this pattern. I already have some MM fleece and was going to alter something else to come up with this one.
Sewliz said... (1/31/11 9:15 PM) Reply
It's beautiful! Now I want one! I have a theory (not tested) that zippers expand in length when zipped and relax when open. Maybe I'll find out for sure one day.
Ericaeli said... (1/31/11 7:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the idea annakeeton. I have lots of wonder tape, so I will try that on my next fleece jacket. I figured that using a stabilizer, and hand basting the zipper would do the trick!
annakeeton said... (1/31/11 6:23 PM) Reply
You created a great jacket and the use of the reverse green looks very sporty. I know what you mean about wavy zippers in fleece- have you tried 1/4" Wonder Tape? I find that helps.
Mufffet said... (1/31/11 4:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for an excellent review. Ottobre does such nice patterns.

Understanding Knit Fabrics