Pattern Reviews> Vintage Fashion Library> 130 (Draped Bodice Cocktail Dress)

Reviewed by:Paradoxigirl

About Paradoxigirl
Member since: 2/3/07
Sewing skills:Beginner

Posted on:3/11/11 8:08 AM

Paradoxigirl said... (12/23/12 3:37 AM) Reply
Hi sackmnn2, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I haven't been on PR in ages due to an insane workload! The pattern is still available at Vintage Fashion Library, though I do see that it's currently out of stock. If you don't need it urgently, it might be worth emailing Lisa at VFL and finding out when the pattern is due back in stock. I'd like to hang on to my copy as it's been fitted to me. Sorry!
sackmnn2 said... (12/1/12 4:46 PM) Reply
yowza! If you still have the pattern, would you like to re-sell it? I'm trying to find either the original or the remake with no luck...
helenkosings said... (11/19/11 9:39 PM) Reply
Simply wonderful!
Paradoxigirl said... (3/14/11 0:16 AM) Reply
Thank you. thank you, thank you everyone for all of your kind words! They are a huge confidence boost to this truly beginning sewist! I won't answer everyone individually (it'd be a massive comment!), but I thought I'd say: dbsewer: A less formal version would be lovely, you got me thinking that if I didn't make the overskirt, it could be a nice 'going out' dress. Maybe next season - it's beginning to cool down here in Australia. I also agree that taking the fitting out of my hands meant that I could concentrate on the sewing. The pattern was a dream to sew up, and the experience has really hammered home to me that fit and drafting are everything. I'm considering saving my pennies to try to do a proper patternmaking course! Cleverkitty: I'm going to send my fabulous grader a photo, thank you card and a little treat of spiced almonds (I made some for my colleague. her sister, and am informed that they went down a storm with the pattern grader!) rtrittel: While hiring someone else to do the grading was expensive, it was worth every penny! Again everyone, thank you for all of your wonderful comments, it swells my heart with pride and gratitude!
Heatherly said... (3/12/11 8:44 PM) Reply
What an inspiration! Congratulations.
rtrittel said... (3/12/11 4:03 PM) Reply
This dress is absolutely stunning - well done indeed! The idea of hiring a fashion design student was quite clever. I will have to do that whenever I plan on creating a dress on this scale. My hat is off to you - beautiful work.
ChristineBR said... (3/12/11 10:01 AM) Reply
Hard to believe you are new to sewing. This is just spectacular.
no7262 said... (3/12/11 8:38 AM) Reply
WOW WOW WOW! You did such an amazing job! This dress came out just beautiful! You should be so proud of yourself! Nora :)
Tarrbaby said... (3/12/11 7:14 AM) Reply
Wow, Fabulous, Gorgeous, Stunning, Perfect. You are not a beginner at all, sign up for Project Runway. This is so perfect for today's retro fashions and soooooo perfect on you. Well done.
Kay Y said... (3/11/11 7:29 PM) Reply
Wow! all the appropriate adjectives have already been used. The neckline drape is just stunning; the fabric is perfect, and it shows off your décolleté perfectly. Looking forward to seeing more of your (so-called) "beginner" projects :D
mad stash said... (3/11/11 6:17 PM) Reply
That dress is AMAZING! I'm especially impressed because 50's patterns are usually labeled "Advanced" skill level. Since this is what you can do as a beginner, I can't wait to see more! PS That's a sweet pic of you & BF!
lucylal said... (3/11/11 5:44 PM) Reply
Wow! What a gorgeous dress, and what a fantastic job you did. You ought to be very proud!
livelife said... (3/11/11 5:43 PM) Reply
Great job! I love the style and fabric of the dress!
Kat B. said... (3/11/11 5:07 PM) Reply
If you can accomplish this so beautifully as a beginner, the sky is the limit for you! I look forward to more reviews!
SewWil said... (3/11/11 3:51 PM) Reply
GORGEOUS!!! Great job on your dress. It looks fabulous on you.
EleanorSews said... (3/11/11 1:52 PM) Reply
Simply stunning! And yes, you have every right to commit the sin of pride. You worked hard, and the fit and superb crafting show. Kudos.
lacroise1 said... (3/11/11 12:53 PM) Reply
oh my gosh, that is breathtaking! You did an fantastic job.. Well done!... :)
birdmcfarland said... (3/11/11 12:38 PM) Reply
This is fabulous. I love the color. Excellent work!
MissyBelle said... (3/11/11 12:05 PM) Reply
I'm sure you were very impressive at the wedding. Definitely keep sewing. I'm sure we're all looking forward to what you come up with next!
Christas said... (3/11/11 9:48 AM) Reply
Oh, my! This is so gorgeous! With the help of your friend, you have been able to create a very beautiful and perfectly fitting dress.
Redsmum said... (3/11/11 9:46 AM) Reply
Bump up that skill level! This is no "beginner" project, and it's all kinds of awesome. Well done!
squirrellypoo said... (3/11/11 9:45 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress and it was TOTALLY worth the effort! Thanks for your first review, it's a doozy! :)
cleverkitty said... (3/11/11 9:03 AM) Reply
the first thing I thought was how did you get it to fit so perfect as a beginner sewer, the fact you had it sized made sewing the first challenge. I hope you told them you made it. It is so wonderful on you, style and fit. A+
lakaribane said... (3/11/11 9:03 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Fantastic colour! Congratulations, stunning output for a 3rd Finished Object, I'm seriously impressed!!!
Rhoda K said... (3/11/11 8:55 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! You did a beautiful job - love the style.
Andreahg said... (3/11/11 8:50 AM) Reply
You did a great job on such a difficult pattern. It looks beautiful on you!
dbsewer said... (3/11/11 8:32 AM) Reply
How cute is this dress on you? You look like a little doll. And what an extraordinary effort. Hard to believe you're a beginner. That dress is simply glorious and I hope you get a lot more wear from it, and now that you have the pattern, perhaps another in a less formal summery fabric? Way to go.
Paris75008 said... (3/11/11 8:27 AM) Reply
Wowee, that's gorgeous!
Paradoxigirl said... (3/11/11 8:17 AM) Reply
My goodness, a comment already as I was proofreading for anything that slipped past! Thank you, Ecrulace, for your wonderful words - I am suffering the sin of pride a bit on this one!
Ecrulace said... (3/11/11 8:14 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Love the colour and the sytle on you. It appears to be a complicated pattern and you mastered it wonderfully

Folkwear 240