Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

• Pressing Leather
    • Sewing Darts
    • Inserting Zipper
    • Finishing
  9. Bonus: A 29 page PDF document showing step by step photos of all the different types of darts and seams. ">Leather 101 Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> Decades of Style> 4004 (1940s Empire Waist Trousers)

Reviewed by:Sewin in the Rain

About Sewin in the Rainstar
NY USA
Member since: 5/1/10
Posted on:4/1/11 9:17 PM
Last Updated:4/1/11 9:21 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people
Annette1 said... (4/4/11 2:09 PM) Reply
FANTASTIC pants, so flattering and chic. Great review, too!
Christas said... (4/3/11 9:45 AM) Reply
These are lovely trousers; they look wonderful on you!
Schnauzer said... (4/3/11 5:44 AM) Reply
Fabulous pants!
Sewin in the Rain said... (4/2/11 11:36 PM) Reply
And 21wale, I think you're right. You have to be pretty confident to wear that empire waist. I feel like the natural waist is much more versatile for more daily wear.
Sewin in the Rain said... (4/2/11 11:34 PM) Reply
Thank you very much, ladies! I should've mentioned that these were made as part of a very informative sew-along by Sunni from www.cupcakegoddess.com. She used a different pattern, but her instruction was invaluable as I made these. Lee Ann, thanks for the comment about my Grandpa :) I'd like to think he'd be proud, too! MNBarb, how cool you have your dad's sailor pants! And thank you for sending me that tutorial.
JillyBe said... (4/2/11 3:30 PM) Reply
Your first pants pattern? What a great job! I'm always happy to see DOS patterns reviewed - love the styles :)
pammieh said... (4/2/11 12:44 PM) Reply
Wow! Thanks for the review - I'm going to add this pattern to my stash!
KensingtonCrab said... (4/2/11 9:56 AM) Reply
Beautifully done!
Patti B said... (4/2/11 9:33 AM) Reply
These look fabulous on you -- make more! I puzzled over the 'empire waist' until I read your changes.
Paris75008 said... (4/2/11 9:03 AM) Reply
Very cute. Successful alteration on the waistline. Looks much better than the high waist on the pattern cover. Congratulations on a really great first pair of pants
MNBarb said... (4/2/11 7:32 AM) Reply
I especially love the photo of you sitting on the porch with your sailor's cap. In high school I wore my dad's Navy-issued saior pants and they were so flattering. These do the same thing for you. I think you made the right decision to shorten the crotch length if your torso is short. This is a wonderful pair of pants, congratulations! I'll PM you a tutorial for the zipper that I found helpful.
sewpatty said... (4/2/11 4:51 AM) Reply
Very nice trousers and they look great on you. Congrats!!
FreyaStark said... (4/2/11 3:36 AM) Reply
They're fabulous pants and very smart, especially in that colour. Lowering the waist was a good idea.
Lee Ann Hawkins said... (4/2/11 2:02 AM) Reply
Congratulations! Loved the pics on your blog. Now you are off and running (maybe shashaying, not running) with making trousers. Your Grandpa would have burst with pride if he only could look into the future and see yours and his pictures side by side! Great review.
ChristmasHills said... (4/2/11 1:11 AM) Reply
I love your pants too. Well done.
Elona said... (4/1/11 11:38 PM) Reply
I looked at the line drawing and loved the way the base of the bum was lower than the front of the crotch curve. This is a TERRIFIC anatomical observation!
Jennifer shaw said... (4/1/11 10:52 PM) Reply
Your pants looks gorgeous!! Thanks for posting your review, it sounds like a wonderful pattern.
21wale said... (4/1/11 9:35 PM) Reply
These are adorable. I think the height of the waist looks good. I feel the same way about high waists, but it may be more of a comfort thing than proportions, I don't know.

StyleArc Dianne Skivvy