Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1220 (misses dress and belt)

Reviewed by:Barbara V

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar

Best Patterns of 2011
Posted on:4/12/11 10:12 AM
Last Updated:4/19/11 6:44 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 30 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Accessories

denese said... (1/2/12 5:07 AM) Reply
ps. do you think a wide leather belt would. work
denese said... (1/2/12 5:03 AM) Reply
hi barbara, as usual so so nice , your reviews are so detailed. I would love to try this pattern, but no sure about size 18 (16) off the hook. has any one else made this with my shape
JodieT said... (9/15/11 5:03 PM) Reply
Thank you for both reviews. I am not sure which dress I like better. I have a tendency to want to cover up my skinny 50 year old arms. So I like the sleeves and color on first one. The bias cut looks GREAT on you. That's a lot of time for me. I barely get to sew for myself with two daughters, two step daughters and 3 grandchildren. I am going to get my pattern out now. I think this would be great fall dress in the south.
kias2 said... (8/16/11 1:15 PM) Reply
I have to say I have nothing but admiration for all you out there that not only sew quite complicated patterns, but also find the time to photo and review them!! I am myself struggling along with this pattern ( it has it all -pivots, pleats, set in sleeves, buttonholes), but seeing all these great reviews keeps me going. Both dresses look great on you.
Annette1 said... (7/17/11 4:32 AM) Reply
Don't you ever get tired of being a GORGEOUSLY CLASSY LADY? I think I need to bring you down to my level just for a change of pace! :o) BOTH of these dresses are SO nice, and I ESPECIALLY like the bias-cut version with the muted stripes. Truly SUPERB! I never even NOTICED this pattern until NOW. :o)
jewelea said... (5/19/11 10:03 AM) Reply
I haven't made/worn dresses much since I stopped working, but have been thinking about doing so again. I doubt that I would have considered this pattern, but seeing how great it looks on you, especially the grey version, I may do so. Isn't is wonderful to be able to sew and make something so special! An informative review also.
TMathews said... (4/24/11 1:53 PM) Reply
Wow, I am so inspired! I literally ran to the store to buy this pattern when it came out, but that bias conversion you hit on is amazing!! I can't wait to try it. This is one of the greatest reviews ever. Thank you
cmarie12 said... (4/22/11 6:47 PM) Reply
It was so much fun to read through your review of both dresses. They are how you took the 2nd dress to the next level! Totally stunning!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (4/21/11 1:34 AM) Reply
Wow thank you for sharing the results of your experiment with us, the result is wonderful and very inspiring.
VirginiasDghter said... (4/20/11 2:11 PM) Reply
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barbara V said... (4/20/11 1:57 PM) Reply
Wow, my goodness! THANK YOU for the many lovely comments! Karenino, I purchased 3 1/2 yards of 48" wide fabric. The additional length was used for the basic tie, not the larger/longer bow tie from the pattern. Depending on the width of the fabric, you may be able to fit the pieces on the diagonal with the tie placed along the side edge. In that case 3 yds. should be enough. If you plan to cut out sleeves, then you would need the extra 1/2 yd. length. And if you plan to cut the original bow tie, then it will require quite a bit more because that bow tie is quite long and cut on the fold. With these variables and not knowing the width of your fabric, I think it would be best to lay out the pattern pieces to obtain a better idea of how much is needed. Hope this is helpful. Probably the best thing I could suggest is when in doubt, buy a little more for assurance.
Karenino said... (4/20/11 10:39 AM) Reply
Barbara: The idea to cut on the bias is so very clever! I have a bunch of burnt-orange silk dupioni and, inspired by your grey version, I might try it this way. Did you find that you used about the same amount of fabric for the grey bias cut (minus the sleeves, of course)? Thank you for your wonderful reviews!
optimistic said... (4/20/11 10:18 AM) Reply
Love both versions. Great work on the version 2 changes especially!
MamaSewing said... (4/20/11 10:12 AM) Reply
Another Fabulous dress! I need this pattern now - because of you!
Catbird said... (4/20/11 9:06 AM) Reply
Oh my goodness! You and this incredible grey linen dress belong on the cover of that pattern envelope, on the cover of Vogue Patterns magazine, on the cover of VOGUE itself! I absolutely love it and wish I owned it. Beautiful, beautiful work, conception and execution.
carolynw said... (4/20/11 8:34 AM) Reply
Beautiful - almost makes me want to get back into wearing dresses. Like this colour and it looks really nice on you
AuntieShel said... (4/20/11 8:20 AM) Reply
Whoa--52 comments!! I think that says it all. Absolutely beautiful, both of them!! You are so creative!!
Lili123 said... (4/20/11 7:36 AM) Reply
very beautiful dress, i love the way you changed it.
FreyaStark said... (4/20/11 6:29 AM) Reply
The grey version is an(other) original and elegant dress, and demonstrates the possibilities of this pattern.
SusiM said... (4/20/11 0:35 AM) Reply
Both dresses are spectacular! Everyone else has already said everything I would have. Thanks for the great review!
Raye Ann said... (4/19/11 11:24 PM) Reply
I love this dress on you; This linen diagonal striped version is perfection. So chic! I wish I could sew at your elbow and learn a few things from you. I am always inspired by your garments!
mm said... (4/19/11 10:30 PM) Reply
You are so creative. It looks marvelous.
Kat B. said... (4/19/11 9:16 PM) Reply
I agree! This pattern looks fabulous in the pin stripe. You have a lot of talent!
21wale said... (4/19/11 9:06 PM) Reply
Such a lovely dress - both version!
SewWil said... (4/19/11 8:24 PM) Reply
I love the sleeveless version. Great as a jumper or not.
JanElise said... (4/19/11 7:45 PM) Reply
This is such a nicely designed dress. This dress looks better on you than the one shown on the pattern front.
Christas said... (4/19/11 7:09 PM) Reply
How VERY cute! I loved it as a dress, and it also looks absolutely wonderful as a jumper. You really have an "eye" to visualize lovely garments and then sew them up in terrific fabrics.
CarolynGM said... (4/17/11 11:57 AM) Reply
I never even noticed this pattern until now. It looks very nice on you -- great lines and proportion.
VirginiasDghter said... (4/16/11 7:07 PM) Reply
Love, love, love this dress and the color. I am not crazy about this pattern but you made it FABULOUS! I like what you did with the tie belt! Very nice work!
Knitters Delight said... (4/15/11 1:56 PM) Reply
No wonder you have received so many compliments. It looks great on you. I think I will try a drapier fabric for this one. Picked up the pattern last night! Yay
optimistic said... (4/14/11 9:55 AM) Reply
Absolutely lovely! Is it as comfy as it looks?
Rhoda K said... (4/13/11 1:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and it looks so good on you. I like your changes - cumberbund vs. bow.
Sew Forth said... (4/13/11 11:15 AM) Reply
Incredibly chic! Love the color.. love the sash!
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/13/11 11:01 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress.
bunnysmith said... (4/13/11 10:55 AM) Reply
OK, that's it. I've had this pattern for a couple of weeks, and now you've inspired me to make it!
eugenia123 said... (4/13/11 9:52 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I love this interesting style and you have certainly done it justice, it looks wonderful on you.
mesewlot said... (4/13/11 8:39 AM) Reply
Wow, you did a fantastic job~ and the color is great on you!!
Fran G said... (4/13/11 7:46 AM) Reply
I have loved this dress from first glance ! Beautiful work..and color!..Looks super on you!
Allie in Hong Kong said... (4/13/11 1:58 AM) Reply
Gorgeous version of this pattern, which I fell in love with as soon as it came out. I have some fabric earmarked for this that is almost the same colour as yours so now I am impatient to get on with it!
pdiddly said... (4/13/11 1:20 AM) Reply
this is the 2nd time I have seen this dress made up and they both looked great - I like the cumberband look to yours - feel like a pattern purchase coming on.
SueV said... (4/13/11 0:19 AM) Reply
holy smokes, I love this dress! Looks great on you, the color is perfect. your tie looks so much better too
Nan Kay said... (4/12/11 11:18 PM) Reply
The cumber bund is so much better than the bow. Brilliant change! Really like how this looks on you and your construction is perfect, as usual.
Heatherrique said... (4/12/11 10:23 PM) Reply
Delectable color and sensational style on you, Barbara!
Sarsez said... (4/12/11 10:13 PM) Reply
Lovely. I can't wait to make this dress up.
Jane S said... (4/12/11 10:11 PM) Reply
This dress was just made for you. It may feel a little stiff but it looks absolutely perfect. Great proportions and delightful details.
Scheri said... (4/12/11 10:07 PM) Reply
I love this pattern and hope to make this one day. Your choice of color looks so nice on you. The dress looks sharp and you look beautiful :)
mm said... (4/12/11 7:31 PM) Reply
Lovely dress and it suits you very well.
Sheseams said... (4/12/11 6:35 PM) Reply
FreyaStark said... (4/12/11 6:28 PM) Reply
A really stylish dress in a gorgeous colour. The extra length and knotted belt are improvements.
marec said... (4/12/11 6:03 PM) Reply
Wow, this dress is very flattering on you. You ALWAYS look stylish and lovely...but this is so "you". Make more.
Ann Smith said... (4/12/11 4:39 PM) Reply
I think it looks wonderful. You are noticing how it poofs out at the hips but I'm noticing how small it makes your waist look. I like the crispness.
birdmcfarland said... (4/12/11 4:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful! This color looks good on you.
becca a said... (4/12/11 3:07 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! I love it with the cummerbund.
Lori V said... (4/12/11 2:56 PM) Reply
Your dress is so gorgeous.
Marge99 said... (4/12/11 1:54 PM) Reply
That's really lovely. I have this pattern and want to lengthen it to below the knee as well - nice to see it like that on somebody else first.
Christas said... (4/12/11 1:38 PM) Reply
Barbara, this is such a pretty dress on you! Your changes look so nice too, as I think the cumber bund looks much better than the bow. Lovely work and review!
Kim12469 said... (4/12/11 1:25 PM) Reply
Very pretty! It looks wonderful on you.
DorothyK said... (4/12/11 12:27 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I think it looks great in the broadcloth. I like the nice, crisp look. However, I'm sure it will soften up after a few launderings, and then it may feel like a totally different dress - just as lovely, I'm sure.
SewWil said... (4/12/11 12:17 PM) Reply
Love your dress! It looks great on you. The pockets are wonderful. I agree with other reviewers, the bow was a bit much but the way you tied the belt is very nice.
Twinset said... (4/12/11 12:10 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! It really is your style and is so flattering!
lamstu said... (4/12/11 11:58 AM) Reply
What a beautiful color and style for you! I thought this design might overwhelm a small frame, but it looks really fantastic. The plain tie is much more stylish than the bow. Great dress! I bet it would be beautiful in dupioni silk, but I think almost everything looks great in that fabric :)
sergette said... (4/12/11 11:58 AM) Reply
Very nice! I like the way you tied the sash. I thought the bow on the Vogue pic was too fussy, but you styled it beautifully.
sergette said... (4/12/11 11:55 AM) Reply
Very nice! I like the way to tied the sash. I thought the bow on the Vogue pic was too fussy, but you styled it beautifully.
Riversinger said... (4/12/11 11:45 AM) Reply
I'm glad to see how yours looks with the cumberbund. I'm almost finished with one in a soft, lightweight denim. I was planning to make the belt with a buckle or snaps, rather than the big bow. Just can't see a bow like that fitting in my lifestyle. I like how yours looks, with the flatter front without that bow. I'm thinking about making another dress in a firm knit. I think the lines would hold, and it would be really comfortable. Maybe even long sleeves. It's a great dress, basic, but with wonderful lines.
callmeRuth said... (4/12/11 11:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, and you look fab. I love the lines of the dress---it's a lovely pattern.
MamaSewing said... (4/12/11 11:14 AM) Reply
Lovely dress, I like the color on you and the change from the bow. Your dress looks so much better tnan the pattern envelope to me!
GoSewGirl said... (4/12/11 10:32 AM) Reply
This is such a cute dress. I like the look of the fabric on you - it doesn't look too stiff - and the color is great. I have this pattern and look forward to making it up!
Mary D'Agostino said... (4/12/11 10:22 AM) Reply
What a great dress! Interesting about the stretch broadcloth being a bit too stiff. I don't need any extra poofing on this body.
Patti B said... (4/12/11 10:21 AM) Reply
Oh, I like this on you! I prefer the cumberbund to the bow; it's a little more sophisticated look. It must have been fun to sew with the seaming.
The Technique of Underlining Garments