Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2209 (Misses' Dresses)

Reviewed by:LJane

About LJanestar
Member since: 7/19/10
Posted on:5/25/11 10:40 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Coat/Jacket
LJane said... (8/7/11 10:21 PM) Reply
Oh, I'm sorry for the late response Liz in Cville-- It wasn't see through at all, so in that respect I don't think it has to have a lining. I just prefer another layer. It made the dress feel more substantial.
Liz in Cville said... (6/16/11 9:43 AM) Reply
That is beautiful! I was just looking at the print in a lighter color for a less fitted summer dress: I hope it's not a faux pas to say so here, but for anyone who is interested, the collection is on sale at fabric.com thru 6/20. Question: Does it really need to be lined? I'm ordering a swatch, but that doesn't always seem to answer the modesty question. LJane, thanks so much for posting this review!
Knitters Delight said... (6/12/11 12:06 PM) Reply
This is really nice.
LJane said... (6/11/11 11:55 PM) Reply
Thanks, everyone! SewingTate, Do you mean ready-to-wear size 8 or 10? If so, I usually wear an 8 or 10 when I buy a dress off the rack, but when I sew I always cut a size 14. I guess that's what they mean by "vanity sizing" :) I thought the pattern was true to size for what I usually sew.
SewingTate said... (5/28/11 8:20 AM) Reply
Your dress does look great! I just bought this pattern. My Joann Fabric store had Simplicity patterns on sale for $1 for the Memorial Day weekend! I haven't cut out the pieces yet because I'm surprised by the measurements. I normally wear a dress size 8 or 10. But this pattern looks like I'll need at least a 14. So I'm really confused. Did you find that the pattern runs this small?
mary in FL said... (5/26/11 9:08 PM) Reply
I love the happy print!
sew2little said... (5/26/11 7:03 PM) Reply
Your dress is great. You might look at the sewing diva's tutorial on invisible zips. I use it--but use my regular foot to hold the zipper coil down--with great success.
Claverie said... (5/26/11 10:01 AM) Reply
Very nice ensemble ;) I used a decorator fabric out of two large sample pieces found at a local thrift store and it turned out nice and crisp (granted, it'll have to be dry cleaned) ... Your dress is cute, particularly with those shoes!
JanieBee said... (5/26/11 9:07 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress. If you make it again, you might try a linen blend. I made it in cotton/linen, and it turned out great.
Picnicfan said... (5/26/11 9:03 AM) Reply
Your dress is a perfect fit and the fabric is very beautiful. The dress looks perfect on you. Well done!

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns