Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8741 (handbags)

Reviewed by:sfshaza

About sfshazastar
Member since: 9/12/07
Posted on:6/7/11 1:10 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories
GardenGal7 said... (8/31/15 4:16 PM) Reply
Thank you for the pictorial and your comments, they help me understand the construction of this bag somewhat better. To make sure I understand correctly - I'm planning on making View D. Trying to decipher the fabric requirements: ---> Outer fabric: I need either 1 1/2 or 1/14 yard of fabric for the outermost fabric (depending on the fabric width). ---> Contrast 1 fabric: this is the lining for the MAIN bag (lining within the outermost fabric) AND for the outer portion of the inset (inset is the bag in a bag), and this fabric is also used for binding, tabs and ties. In other words, the interior "pockets" after this is sewn together will have the same fabrics facing eachother, because Contrast 1 lining and inset fabric are facing eachother. ---> Contrast 2 fabric: this fabric is for the lining of the INSET only, the interior most part of the bag. In other words, whatever fabric I use for Contrast 2 should be the fabric I want to see on the OUTSIDE if I choose to use this as a reversible bag. Also, this is where the zipper should coordinate in case I plan to use it reversed. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Seems I am flexible in terms of the contrast 1 inset fabric - I can either match this to my contrast 1 lining fabric or match it to the contrast 2 inset lining. Either way, the contrast 2 inset lining fabric seems most crucial if you plan to use as a reversible bag.
P.Kay.King said... (6/23/13 10:19 PM) Reply
After literally hours and hours of trying to decipher the directions and cutting out muslin pieces, I gave up trying to make the reversible bag. The directions were hopelessly confusing! I made bag A/B which was huge enough to put my 10 month old granddaughter in with all her diapers, bottles and toys! My daughter is using it as a school bookbag as she is a teacher and carries lots of stuff to and from work everyday! All in all, it's HUGE, difficult to understand the directions, and not worth the effort.
xereta said... (6/22/12 11:19 AM) Reply
I just received my pattern in the mail and told my daughter I was in big trouble, because I couldn't even understand the fabric requirements for view D. I decided to look for pattern reviews and came across yours. Thanks so much for the pictures, it really shows the size of the bag, I thought it was much smaller. Thanks so much for the instructions on your blog, they will help me immensely when I go to make the bag
janet said... (6/12/11 11:39 AM) Reply
LOVE your bag!
CallMeSu said... (6/8/11 12:31 PM) Reply
beautiful bag!!! I love your top-stitching and you fabric choice!
mssewcrazy said... (6/8/11 7:21 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful! I like this the most of any purse pattern I have seen made up. I think this would be beautiful in a fashion color as well. The slouch of the pattern styling is just so expensive looking.
olgarosita said... (6/8/11 3:47 AM) Reply
I bought this pattern and I was surprised to see that it didn't have any review, so thank you for reviewing it! I also thought the bag was smaller!
pegsewer said... (6/7/11 8:25 PM) Reply
Elegant looking---and so well made. I too like your whole look!
DorothyK said... (6/7/11 6:38 PM) Reply
This bag is gorgeous inside and out. You did a fantastic job. I love your entire look from top to bottom.
Deborah L said... (6/7/11 4:43 PM) Reply
Gorgeous bag. Love your fabric!
JillyBe said... (6/7/11 3:24 PM) Reply
Your version looks like a million bucks - LOVE it!

No Pattern Used Dress Reconstruction