Pattern Reviews> Serendipity Studio> 117 (diane kimono dress)

Reviewed by:sew2little

About sew2littlestar
Member since: 1/12/04
Posted on:7/19/11 1:17 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people

carolynw said... (8/21/15 11:47 PM) Reply
So beautiful and wonderful work - as usual! Great review!
lalaB said... (8/21/15 11:36 PM) Reply
Excellent review and sewing. I'd love to know more of that old faithful 80s pattern you normally use for summer dressesthat you mention.
teri b said... (4/25/13 5:55 PM) Reply
Oh, and P.S. I figured out about enclosing the waist....and I love that SO much better than raw edges, even if serged. Way more professional looking.
teri b said... (4/25/13 5:54 PM) Reply
Your tip about the elastic in the casing and reversing the sleeve bands worked perfectly. Thanks so much!! Love this pattern!
teri b said... (4/23/13 2:04 PM) Reply
I know this is AGES too old, but am hoping to get a response. Exactly how did you enclose the waistband on the inside? I'm at that point right now on my first one, and would LOVE to make it all nice and enclosed. Thanks in advance, teri b
caper81 said... (6/10/12 8:40 AM) Reply
Wow, what a lovely dress you made! Looks great on you :)
Cultured Purl said... (5/21/12 6:07 AM) Reply
I can only link up to one dress but it is very pretty and compliments you well~ I have this pattern but I purchased it for a swim cover up or a tunic, never did I think it would work up so WELL for a pretty day dress! It looks like this would make a great tunic also~ have a few of her patterns ( her easy trench is the best) and some of her skirt patterns,,,,she is one talented young designer just coming into her own (, I made her " Betty June shirtdress) but used less fabric on the skirt, am in my early five ohs( was worried it was too ' young looking) and get compliments on her dress all the time~ ALL her patterns are drafted well, she is precise and is just an email away~ Now I have to make this one up for summer b/c it looks SO SO comfortable and flattering! good sewing to you! ( and THANK YOU for your review, wow, it opened my eyes to possibilities! Enjoy your new garments! ~ take a look at her whole line, very nice indeed! I would have used elastic also so it looked neat all the time,,,now that think about this,, white eyelet would be so pretty and so summery w a prettty sunhat for a picnic or for church! love it!
mary in FL said... (10/17/11 9:52 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, and now I think I will have to make it up!
bananaoil said... (7/21/11 10:06 AM) Reply
WOw. That is the dress I've been looking for. It looks so cool.
VivianZ said... (7/20/11 9:55 AM) Reply
What a fun summer dress pattern. I think they are both great and look like an anthropologie dress. I particularly like the second. I would have not paid an ounce of attention to this pattern, but I like yours, and might get it for my hot climate in Louisiana.
MarianS said... (7/20/11 8:50 AM) Reply
Both of these dresses look great on you. I love the fabrics!
Erin D said... (7/19/11 3:10 PM) Reply
I love both versions! Thanks so much for this review-I wasn't familiar with this pattern.
MNBarb said... (7/19/11 1:37 PM) Reply
You did such a nice job of using bright fabric and not getting a "little girl" look in your floral dress. I really like the texture of the subdued version. You were so smart to use elastic in the casing, a drawstring just doesn't work and causes one to spend too much time fiddling with clothing. I wondered about gaping, glad to see you came up with a solution. I might have to try this dress to wear during our 6 weeks of summer.
sewbehind said... (7/19/11 11:30 AM) Reply
Very pretty. The design is so simple, yet the result is stunning.
marec said... (7/19/11 11:20 AM) Reply
Wonderful dresses and your use of the fabrics makes them special. I love both and am drawn toward version #2.
OlindaM said... (7/19/11 10:28 AM) Reply
I love your dresses too! Isnt it amazing how different the same dress pattern can look with totally different fabrics? Well done.
pterion said... (7/19/11 10:20 AM) Reply
Both versions of this dress are lovely and I agree that such a versatile dress deserves to be made up multiple times!
VirginiasDghter said... (7/19/11 9:36 AM) Reply
This is just lovely! I love it! I am a magnet for printed fabrics but find myself getting quite overwhelmed whenever I venture into the quilting fabric section of a fabric store. There are just SO MANY options and possibilites! GOOD ONES!! And although they seem to group like matches together I still am just all over the place. Anyway, I admire those people that can make gorgeous garments using those fabrics as you did here. Great looking dress!
Barbara V said... (7/19/11 9:34 AM) Reply
Wonderful and easy summer dress pattern. Both versions look great on you! Version 1 is so summery and light and good coloring on you and I couldn't agree with you more about wearing dresses to stay cool in hot weather.
Amanda.Claire said... (7/19/11 8:21 AM) Reply
Your dresses look so fresh and pretty!
Lori V said... (7/19/11 7:12 AM) Reply
Two very pretty dresses, they look great on you.
CindyHa said... (7/19/11 5:41 AM) Reply
mm said... (7/19/11 2:51 AM) Reply
Great summer dresses.
sewsunny37 said... (7/19/11 1:51 AM) Reply
Both of the dresses look fabulous on you! Nice way to survive the heat and look wonderful while doing it! Thanks for the review. I love Kay Whitt's patterns.
Aroura said... (7/19/11 1:35 AM) Reply
Love this dress in both its versions. Version one is so vibrant and fun! In version two, I don't think you were overly zealous in avoiding flowers on the bodice or dress in general. The flowers heavily on the right sleeve and sort of diagonally across the skirt give a nice asymetric balance that looks very artfully done. Such a simple pattern, and you really made both versions stand out, excellent!

All About Linings