Pattern Reviews> Japanese Pattern Books> Pattern Magic (Pinafore with Kakurenbo)

Reviewed by:jenleeC

About jenleeCstarstar
WA Australia
Member since: 6/4/11
Posted on:8/3/11 10:27 PM
Last Updated:8/28/11 8:18 AM
Claverie said... (8/28/11 11:32 AM) Reply
Wow, so glad you made the effort to try this out! Great design, and your dress hangs so nicely. But, what accounts for the emphasis in the original design? And I think you're right, top stitching probably would be a good move -- on your next one :). Hope you make another ... :D
VtMartha said... (8/28/11 10:17 AM) Reply
Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing.
Sue Parrott said... (8/28/11 9:25 AM) Reply
Wow, the curved bodice is quite impressive. I am so glad you showed a close up of that detail. This is very cool and cute! I love it!
becca a said... (8/9/11 8:52 PM) Reply
What an amazing dress! I love those curved lines where the skirt and bodice join. Wow! It looks gorgeous on you. I am afraid of these Japanese pattern drafting books, but one day when I feel ready to tackle this challenge, I will refer to your review.
DorothyK said... (8/8/11 10:11 AM) Reply
Wow. This is wonderful - and so inspiring. I have put off buying this book but now I don't think I will be able to resist. Thanks for your review.
21wale said... (8/5/11 9:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I'm glad to see this make up. Your softer fabric makes your version more wearable, I think, than the original version. Nice work!
jenleeC said... (8/5/11 5:27 AM) Reply
AuntieShel, yes I sewed the bodice and skirt right sides together, and yes, it was hard! I must have unpicked & re-sewed some sections 4 or 5 times! Next time I would try sewing from the right side of the fabric as I think this may be easier and it would also make more of a feature of the curve. Judging from the photos I think this is the construction method used on the PM sample. Thanks for your lovely comments!
Karine said... (8/4/11 11:38 AM) Reply
A masterpiece! That bodice seam is crazy! Great job.
sfshaza said... (8/4/11 11:24 AM) Reply
This is so fabulous! It is so flattering on you. You really should make it again!! :D
a life in stitches said... (8/4/11 9:59 AM) Reply
A further thought - would you like to review the book? There are 2 reviews already, and although helpful, neither reviewer has actually drafted anything from it, so I think your insight would be valuable. I have been intrigued by this book and PM2, but only had a brief look at them in a bookshop, and would welcome comments that might help me make up my mind whether to buy it.
AuntieShel said... (8/4/11 9:49 AM) Reply
Although I cannot enlarge your pic (problems with my computer) your thumbnail is gorgeous. I have this book and am so inspired by yours to give it a try. Are the bodice and skirt sections sewn right sides together? That must have been difficult. And you understitched as well? Wow!! Beautiful job and thanks so much for sharing this inspiring project.
Sewiing Sue said... (8/4/11 9:35 AM) Reply
You did a gorgeous job.
Fran G said... (8/4/11 6:23 AM) Reply
Absolutely chic! Gorgeous the neutral tones. Thank you for posting the photo from PM where those front seams can clearly be seen..stunning! Carolyn S...I saw your comment and had to tell you that as I read jenlee's review I thought of you and how this dress would so fit your style! Will be expecting your version in the coming months!! Thanks Jenlee..great review!
a life in stitches said... (8/4/11 5:44 AM) Reply
Absolutely lovely dress and thank you for sharing your experience of the pattern drafting and making-up.
Carolyn.S said... (8/4/11 1:17 AM) Reply
This turned out just beautiful!! I have this book and you have inspired me to have a go at this pattern too... (and are you in Perth too??!)
marec said... (8/4/11 1:15 AM) Reply
What a wonderful dress both in its concept and reality. I love your version, and am intrigued yet again by this book. But no, not for me...thanks for sharing with those of us who are not yet ready for drafting.
gsp1066 said... (8/4/11 0:27 AM) Reply
Wow! I saw the pattern in the book, but couldn't imagine how it would work in real life. IMHO, yours looks nicer than the one in the book--and much more wearable. Kudos!
mm said... (8/3/11 11:20 PM) Reply
This is wonderful and it was very brave of you to attempt it. Enjoy it!
peachfuzz said... (8/3/11 10:56 PM) Reply
this is fabulous and inspiring...making a project from Pattern Magic is like the pinnacle of my sewing dreams.

by: ssssdeb