Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8280 (gored skirt)

Reviewed by:Deepika

About Deepikastarstarstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 11/28/01
Posted on:11/21/05 7:01 AM
Last Updated:9/19/04 11:32 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
Available for sale on PR: $6.71 $8.95 Pattern Details
Available for sale on PR: $6.71 $8.95 Pattern Details
mag said... (9/20/04 7:18 PM) Reply
Very pretty skirt and very simple with your time saving suggestions. You are lucky, with my wide hips I know I would have to put in the zipper. Still worth trying the pattern.
PVA said... (9/20/04 10:12 AM) Reply
Ditto all of the above! Thanks for the great review, love the bound waistline finish!
LiZ said... (9/20/04 3:27 AM) Reply
Your skirt looks great, I think that I will get this pattern and try it out. I would also not hem a skirt in microsuede.
D1Diva said... (9/20/04 0:52 AM) Reply
I was just looking at this microsuede today at Joanns. Now I have to go back! I would leave the bottom edge raw. I did that on a leopard print skirt I made from stretch twill last week and let it fringe in the wash. Very cute! I know the suede won't fringe, but I still like the look of the raw edge. Great skirt, great review as always!
Deepika said... (9/19/04 6:30 PM) Reply
Linda, if you look at the bound waistline photo again, I've replaced it with a new photo, showing the outside and inside of the finish. The one you see on top is the inside. Basically what you do is sew the band into a circle then sew it to the skirt RST and then wrap the excess over the SA and pin it to the inside. Then you stitch in the ditch. Hope this makes sense. Since this fabric is a knit, I did not finish the inside. In a woven I would first serge finish one end (the one which is inside).
Danvillegirl said... (9/19/04 3:56 PM) Reply
Very nice skirt. Could you show a picture of the inside waist with the binding showing? I am trying to visualize how this looks.
JDpenelope said... (9/19/04 3:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful! OK, that's it. I'm going to place an order for this and other dynamite Burda patterns reviewed by Deepika, Irina and others.
Leslie in Austin said... (9/19/04 3:06 PM) Reply
Great skirt, Deepika! Beware though: when wearing that microsuede, you'll find yourself endlessly petting it--it's so soft!
Gigi Louis said... (9/19/04 1:49 PM) Reply
What a great skirt! Yes, you can leave the bottom unhemmed - it probably hangs better that way in this type of skirt. Just be sure you have reinforced the seams if you had to cut anything off - otherwise they will open up during wear.
Deepika said... (9/19/04 1:09 PM) Reply
Gabrielle thanks! Irina I love your version so much more than mine. I am going to try the longer one next. Oh and if you are making yours in microsuded, you can eliminate the zipper like I did.
CarolynGM said... (9/19/04 12:01 PM) Reply
Wow Deepika -- this is really cute! I've already cut out my second version of this pattern in guess what, brown microsuede!
gabrielle said... (9/19/04 11:50 AM) Reply
You are the queen of cute skirts, I think. I would also leave it unhemmed--it looks perfectly fine in ultrasuede, and you eliminate the bulk. Nice job!

Folkwear 237