Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1208 (Tom & Linda Platt bias dress)

Reviewed by:jenleeC

Last Updated:9/12/11 10:22 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 31 people
JennyAnne said... (9/15/14 2:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Much better than the one I just finished. Ha! This settles it that it must be my fabric choice that didn't live up to the pattern.
PrincessLeah1 said... (2/15/14 2:03 PM) Reply
This is one time I didn't make a muslin, cuz I didn't want to go out an buy more fabric. I am working with a very slippery lovely silk Charmuse - so yes, a lot of seam ripping ensues. One thing I am happy to see on your dress as well, the neck line in front ends up a little asymmetrical - nothing like what the pattern shows. Also, I like your two versions of hems, I prefer the machine one - since that ripply hem (and the bow) are what attracted me to the pattern in the first place, will post my own review soon
knovak said... (8/24/12 2:50 AM) Reply
You look adorable in your dress!
velosewer said... (8/3/12 0:35 AM) Reply
I've just cut my version out and your review is already very handy in getting this dress to work. The fabric I'm using might be a cheaper silk so I'm not being that precious about the construction aspect of this dress. I will pay attention to the shaping at the waist.
Skittl1321 said... (2/9/12 2:47 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Did you ever make another with your special fabric?
sew4pidi said... (1/22/12 0:24 AM) Reply
You did an awesome job. You inspired me to go ahead with making this. I like the PJ pants too. Thank you!
Alison RSA said... (11/30/11 3:50 PM) Reply
Looks stunning!
GoodbyeValntino said... (9/20/11 7:22 AM) Reply
You made a beautiful dress and wrote a very helpful review. Thank you so much!
jenleeC said... (9/19/11 10:04 PM) Reply
Spool64, I guess this just comes from experience and finding out the hard way what sizing seems to suit your particular body the best. I always check the finished garment measurements as well as assessing the general look of the garment (loose, fitted etc). I have learned that for a fitted garment I need to sew to my size and even add extra in at the hip/thigh area, but for a loose garment a smaller size fits me better around the neck & shoulders provided there is enough ease in the hip & butt, LOL! Being petite I can't wear garments with as much ease as a taller person can so going down a size seems to work well for me. Hope this helps...mostly it is just learning about your particular body shape and also assessing the pattern style.
Spool64 said... (9/18/11 5:20 PM) Reply
Your "muslim" turned out great! I really like the hemline-the proportion looks just right. I do not understand how you came to choosing to cut out a size 8 when your measurements were telling you otherwise. Looks like the right decision, but how did you know to forego the sizes applicable to your measurements?
NC Carol said... (9/17/11 11:48 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for the review. Good to know about the waist measurement. I bought this pattern last fall to make a Christmas party dress but never made it. (well, maybe this year, eh?) Your kittie is adorable. I get similar help here from my cat, Smidgen. :)
Bonnie123 said... (9/16/11 9:24 AM) Reply
Cute dress. Nice work!
jenleeC said... (9/16/11 0:02 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. I am glad the review was helpful, even if it turned out a bit long. It is always a bit nerve wracking to try a pattern that has had a poor review. Lakaribane, NJcowgirl, RayeAnn, Deepika and Jodieth, I am looking forward to seeing your versions on PR. And yes, there will be some silk PJ's, but this time for me instead of DD! Cranky puss is happy now I have finished sewing and can devote all my attention to her!
JodieT said... (9/15/11 6:27 PM) Reply
Great review, thank you. I have this pattern and I am tall and slim. I am also afraid of bias and cutting expensive fabric. I really like your machine hem. It give the dress more character. You look beautiful in this!
Deepika said... (9/15/11 10:41 AM) Reply
I was so excited to see your review and the dress. This pattern is currently on my table! I don't make any muslins either, so I can relate to your experience. I can only wish my wearable muslin looked as beautiful as your dress. Love the fabric too! So pretty!
Raye Ann said... (9/13/11 11:30 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the review. I bought this pattern and have been on the fence due to poor/ few reviews. I love yours! I am going to give it a try in a fabric similar to yours before I cut the " best" stuff to see if the style will suit me.
Karine said... (9/13/11 8:26 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Aren't you glad you did a finished garment instead of a toile! Looking forward to seeing your silk version. You've got a winner here.
VirginiasDghter said... (9/13/11 7:41 PM) Reply
Very cute! Love your fabric choice. This is a great review and turned out to be a great project! Nice job!
gatorgirl4325 said... (9/13/11 1:43 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress!
waltzqueen said... (9/13/11 1:09 PM) Reply
Thank you for the wonderful review! Your dress is beautiful and suits you very well. I like the drape the way it is. Simply and elegant.
sewbehind said... (9/13/11 11:13 AM) Reply
Very pretty and very flattering. Great job.
Oh2Sew2 said... (9/13/11 8:36 AM) Reply
Very flattering for such a simple design. I like the bow in the slightly smaller size...as for the shaping, that is a personal call regarding fit preference, it drapes wonderful. I do understand though, because I too like to have an "essence of waist" on my tops as well as my dresses.
NJcowgirl said... (9/13/11 8:26 AM) Reply
Beautifully done. Looks great. It's more than a trial dress. I think more shaping at the dress will change the great line you have now. I have the pattern and wasn't excited about the bow till I saw how well your bow turned out. Looks great--so do the shorts!
Fran G said... (9/13/11 7:32 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress..you look so cute ! The Kantenband tape that you used..it looks like a strip of fine fusible interfacing..is it similar to that? And did I understand correctly..you laid it in the seam allowance, just catching the edge in your stitching? Thanks for your review and with my questions.
zuzu_petal said... (9/13/11 6:39 AM) Reply
Fantastic review. Your ironing assistant looks a bit disgruntled if you don't mind me saying. Oh, I suppose I look a bit that way, too, when I iron.
margk said... (9/13/11 4:17 AM) Reply
What a fabulous review and gorgeous dress! I agree about the hem. It could be nice with more waist shaping, but doesn't NEEd it. Love the shorts too : )
renren said... (9/13/11 2:34 AM) Reply
Perfect. Love the fabric. Love the dress. Will be watching for the next one.
ChristmasHills said... (9/13/11 1:58 AM) Reply
I love it too. I don't think it needs any more shaping, looks great as is.
Christas said... (9/13/11 0:31 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Can't wait to see the emerald green one. This one turned out so nice.
SewWil said... (9/13/11 0:21 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Love the fabric for your toile.
JanineMck said... (9/12/11 11:26 PM) Reply
drop dead gorgeous . Will there be a pair of PJs pants in emerald silk as well ??
Sue Parrott said... (9/12/11 10:28 PM) Reply
Absoutely adorable! How cute and I agree that your fabric is perfect for the dress!
Camerio said... (9/12/11 7:28 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress in a very nice print.
MNBarb said... (9/12/11 11:26 AM) Reply
I'm so casual that I like the PJ shorts as well as the dress. This is such beautiful fabric and perfectly matched pattern for it. Your bow looks professionally done. I think it stands alone without waist shaping.
kkkkaty said... (9/12/11 10:36 AM) Reply
gosh, so pretty!
lakaribane said... (9/12/11 9:26 AM) Reply
I love it! Thanks for making this pattern. I'm Petite too and a 10 or 12 in Big 4 patterns so I think I'm going to do like you and cut out the 8. I vote for more shaping at the waist, btw. Can't wait for the silk version but this one is a winner...for a calico!
Aroura said... (9/12/11 1:52 AM) Reply
This is so pretty! A very wearable "muslin" The fabric is SO great. I hope your silk dress turns out just as well or better.
mm said... (9/12/11 1:28 AM) Reply
Great fit and lovely dress.
Vonnevo said... (9/12/11 0:37 AM) Reply
Totally Fabulous !!! Thanks so much for your VH review :)
Flying Seamstress said... (9/12/11 0:14 AM) Reply
Simply fabulous dress, suits you perfectly! Love the PJ shorts too.

by: katlew03