Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 2718 (Misses' Fitting Shell)

Reviewed by:ArtAttack

Upcycle sewing patterns

pinkli said... (4/16/14 3:30 PM) Reply
great review, thank you!
Gendun said... (12/26/12 8:12 PM) Reply
Great review - the detail will be extremely useful. I got hubby to agree to help me over the Xmas holidays. Score one for the girls! (hehe)
prostheticsgirl said... (10/30/12 4:25 PM) Reply
ArtAttack, I have a quick question as regards to choosing the pattern size based on the high bust. I assume you correlate your high bust to the closest "bust" measurement on the back of the pattern and not on the finished garment measures (which is how I typically decide which size to cut). If so, in my last dress I should have cut a 12 bodice which seems that it would be too big. Is this also the size I should purchase to make my sloper?
ArtAttack said... (6/18/12 1:52 PM) Reply
Gendun, I sent you a private email with fabric requirements. Thanks for the comment!
Gendun said... (6/17/12 4:00 PM) Reply
Ohhh... THANK YOU! I so badly wanted to do this, and a custom dressmaker here (who services the posh set matrons) told me McCalls had the best one. Apparently he makes one for each of his regular customers. Anyway, I ordered it last week, and your excellent & thorough review has really notched up my confidence. Can't wait! btw... my pattern has not arrived from McCalls yet. Do you have a rough ballpark idea on the yardage/meterage needed for the med sizes, please? Thanks again! :)
Kandita said... (10/4/11 10:10 AM) Reply
What an awsome fit! I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Should really help you in the future. I'm very interested in doing this also.
Re Becca said... (10/3/11 9:53 PM) Reply
Fabulous fit! You did a great job, I am sure it will be very helpful.
sewbehind said... (10/3/11 4:12 PM) Reply
This is something that I have always wanted to do. I even have the sloper patterns for Vogue, Butterick, Burda and New Look! Your review explains this process very clearly. I'm sure you will find that this benefits you immensely.
ArtAttack said... (10/3/11 12:28 PM) Reply
KathleenS...thanks. I did fit the sleeve and did not have any fitting issues there. Pati and Marta's advice was not to bother setting in the sleeve unless there were fitting issues. I took advantage of having permission not to do so!
jenleeC said... (10/3/11 10:05 AM) Reply
Very interesting! I am glad to hear you recommend this process as I have the Vogue fitting shell on my desk at the moment and have been trying to find the inspiration to spend a lot of time on an unwearable garment!! Now I am inspired, thanks!!
KathleenS said... (10/3/11 6:55 AM) Reply
It looks great. It might be worth putting the sleeves in - having got this far - just in case it reveals anything (I personally have problems with sleeved dresses that I don't notice in sleeveless garments.) I didn't realise this sloper pattern had cup sizes so thanks for mentioning that. I think when I bought a sloper pattern ages back it came with FBA instructions rather than cup sizes.
GoodbyeValntino said... (10/3/11 6:52 AM) Reply
I have never sewn one of these before and am so glad to read a review from someone who has. Thank you! The pencil skirt result alone is worth the investment.
MaryDB said... (10/3/11 2:36 AM) Reply
Thanks for the thorough review. I just bought this pattern and "Fit for Real People" with the intention of making a sloper. Your review is very helpful!

Sew Liberated 116