Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5685 (Misses' Jacket and Coat)

Reviewed by:Trinity.

About Trinity.starstar
MA USA
Member since: 10/9/05
Posted on:11/5/11 3:54 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Outerwear
debberooni said... (3/4/12 10:21 AM) Reply
I am making this now and wish I had read the reviews before I started. I made it in two pieces. :( I am also very confused on the bottom part. They only show you attaching one piece 12 to one piece 13 and I have more pieces. Very confusing instructions! I am just going to use common sense to get this put together. Piece 13 is also quite a bit longer than piece 12 and I can't figure out why.
Phillis2 said... (12/27/11 11:52 AM) Reply
I'm in the midst of making this jacket/coat and am also making the mid-length. It was very helpful to read your sewing modifications so that when I get to the points you speak of I will compare your way against the instructions. I believe you've found a shortcut. I think you looik good in your short coat and the fabric you selection is attractive. I was especially glad to see this coat made in a print because the pattern envelope shows the 3 coats in solid colors. I'm making mine in a black on white print and hope it looks as wearable as yours. I agree with you that the shaw collar, although stylish, is a bit much. Good suggestion to try a different type of collor. Thanks.
Sue Parrott said... (11/26/11 10:31 PM) Reply
Very cute! I just picked up this pattern for my daughter and am glad you reviewed it!
sewinglouisa said... (11/24/11 9:26 AM) Reply
Great job. I have this in my to do pile, just got the fabric from fabric.com a beautiful beige wool mix with different colors and silver thread through it. Yum
hme75 said... (11/17/11 11:05 PM) Reply
I was thinking of picking this pattern up at Joann's current sale. Your version looks great, and so the pattern is being added to the list. Thanks!
hme75 said... (11/17/11 11:05 PM) Reply
fattyboomboom said... (11/16/11 8:08 PM) Reply
Wonderful fall jacket! Thanks for this thorough and helpful review. I'm planning to make this pattern soon.
jewelsew said... (11/11/11 1:46 PM) Reply
Thank you - I'm just starting this pattern and wondered about those crazy instructions. Nice look for you!
thimbledore said... (11/11/11 11:28 AM) Reply
Your coat looks SUPER super cute! Thanks so much for your thorough review! I'm currently slogging through a muslin of this and was really hoping someone with more experience would test it out before I get to the stage of *gulp* cutting my gorgeous, beloved, expensive fabric for the final version.
Leora said... (11/8/11 7:53 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the detailed review and heads up on the instructions. Lovely jacket!
aleah42 said... (11/8/11 6:56 PM) Reply
I have this in my queue as my first real coat... thanks so much for the advice about the instructions! I will definetely do it your way.
MNBarb said... (11/8/11 1:43 PM) Reply
This jacket looks great on you! I love your fabric choice. So glad you wrote this review since I thought the wide collar might be overwhelming on a smaller person but it's PERFECT!
pdiddly said... (11/6/11 11:53 AM) Reply
fantastic looking jacket
tsedai said... (11/5/11 11:31 PM) Reply
I got some fabric that I really wanted to use with the pattern - thanks for the info on the instructions. Those sound crazy! Your method is what I usually do with coats, so glad to know it will work and I should write up my own instructions before I start on this coat. And I agree - this pattern is appealing in all the lengths - it will be hard to choose which one to make! You should be super pleased with your finished coat, it looks great!
CAgirl said... (11/5/11 7:41 PM) Reply
I always admire a well constructed jacket and yours is perfect.
marec said... (11/5/11 4:51 PM) Reply
double post
marec said... (11/5/11 4:51 PM) Reply
That is just lovely! Thanks for the heads up on the instructions and sequencing of steps.

Understanding Interfacings