Pattern Reviews> Islander Sewing Systems> 104 (Waterfall Pattern)

Reviewed by:marec

About marecstarstarstarstar
AZ United States
Member since: 5/11/08
Posted on:11/28/11 5:33 PM
Last Updated:11/28/11 5:43 PM
QueenZ said... (12/15/11 8:35 AM) Reply
I get what you’ve said. I know if I wear something and it doesn’t feel right on me no matter how many compliments I get, the item is rarely worn (as a matter of fact, sometimes given to the person giving the compliment and they love it …worked for them). Feeling good is important, however, in this ensemble, you are stunning!
sfshaza said... (12/1/11 10:12 AM) Reply
I had the same reaction as Annette. When I saw the small thumbnail, next to the "it didn't work for me", I was surprised. When I looked at the picture in its larger format, I can see what you are talking about. It's a cute design with lots of potential, but needs refinement. Personally, I would remove the pleats from the paper pattern and try again, but there may be other ways to improve it for you. I also have to agree with others. You are ROCKING your look! Fabulous!!
JillyBe said... (11/30/11 10:18 PM) Reply
Wow - this entire look is SO stunning, from head to toe! I think the basic lines of this top are great, & with as much work as you've put in to the alterations, I really really think you should try it again. I like the ideas of a drapier fabric, & a smaller cut in the areas you took in might do the trick. Seriously, you look GAWjuss!
Annette1 said... (11/30/11 1:05 AM) Reply
If I SQUINT? :o))) Ha! Well, I must admit I was surprised when I read that this didn't work for you, because when I looked at your picture, I thought, "COOL OUTFIT," from your HAIR to the TOP to the PANTS to the BOOTS! I know what you mean about feeling like something is just "too much," but while it may FEEL that way to you, I think it LOOKS great. :o)
MNBarb said... (11/29/11 9:56 PM) Reply
This is so "you" in a great way. It sounds like a nightmare to fit but it's good you didn't give up. Really? You don't like it? Look at the photos again. BTW, I didn't notice you had 3 stars. Congrats!
treefrog said... (11/29/11 4:56 PM) Reply
I think it looks great! And a lovely colour too. 5 yds of fabric - wow!!
marthamyers said... (11/29/11 12:23 PM) Reply
What interesting sewing projects you are working on! I too think this looks good on you. Love your new hair style too!
marec said... (11/29/11 11:38 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone-I appreciate the feedback and comments. I can see the proportion of width and length more clearly after reading what you have to say. In addition, a lighter fabric might help. Thanks again!!
Catherine Goetz said... (11/29/11 8:33 AM) Reply
Looks fabulous!
Margaret said... (11/29/11 4:43 AM) Reply
I think it's a nice, interesting style and maybe it's the (a) lack of any waist shaping and (b) length vs. width proportions that are making it seem too boxy. I wonder if some tucks or darts at the waist would help, and/or making it slightly longer. But I definitely notice the interesting cut and drape more than the boxiness.
Aroura said... (11/28/11 10:24 PM) Reply
I honestly think it looks really lovely on you, it doesn't look huge a all, and you certainly don't look like Ms. Potato head! :) I think it is very flattering, very unique, not huge and ugly. I hope on you? Well, you know what I mean. :D
renren said... (11/28/11 10:02 PM) Reply
I think it looks good! Maybe you usually wear closer fitting things and that is making this feel a bit off regarding the fit? If I saw you out and about, I would think, "Cool top."
jannw said... (11/28/11 9:30 PM) Reply
Maybe an inch or two longer...other than that, I really like it!
lcdrbetty said... (11/28/11 8:50 PM) Reply
Love the overall look...maybe a little too "boxy" in the chest area. Great color!
thirteenstitches said... (11/28/11 7:18 PM) Reply
I LOVE it!!!
JEF said... (11/28/11 6:14 PM) Reply
Your end result is really interesting looking. I wonder if now that you've made the pattern quite a bit smaller, if you used a SUPER drapey thin (maybe sheer) fabric this would work as a topper over a cami or something. I really like the gracefulness of it.