Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5633 (Easy)

Reviewed by:FreyaStark

About FreyaStarkstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/12/08
Posted on:12/9/11 7:28 AM
Last Updated:12/20/11 10:40 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite
McCall's: 5633 by FreyaStark McCall's: 5633 by FreyaStark
See other patterns in this category: Pants
zoe said... (2/8/12 9:53 PM) Reply
Cute pants. How very amusing and interesting that you have patterned your profile and on ine persona off of the great Freya Stark ( my fav travel writer of the 1930's). I do believe you quote from her book Valley of the Assassins ( re: the pleasures of waking up in a strange town). Or maybe it was 'The Southern Gates of Arabia' ( published in 1986 to coincide with her 90th birthday); since she died there has been no one like her. You must be an admirer of hers.
FreyaStark said... (12/25/11 6:44 AM) Reply
Thank you all for those warm and encouraging remarks. The problem with the front fly is that it is not reinforced yet it takes quite a bit of strain from me and from the button. Some heavy-weight interfacing would have helped. Unfortunately I didn't think of it at the right time.
marthamyers said... (12/23/11 8:53 PM) Reply
Great looking travel pants. Really like the tab holding rolled cuffs up. Curious about the postscript describing the fastening as not sturdy enough. Is there another closure that would be better? I would have thought a fly front would be just right. Thanks for the interesting review.
Annette1 said... (12/22/11 1:45 PM) Reply
I don't even remember seeing this pattern, but I really like your pants. And, boy, can I relate on the inconsistent siznig with ready-to-wear. :o( Seems like I just haven't had ANY time to sew in the past few months, so I've been on a mission to find some jeans with a decent fit THAT ARE LONG ENOUGH (that being the key component). Anyway, even within the SAME MANUFACTURER, the sizes vary WILDLY. I'm going to look for this pattern. :o)
mssewcrazy said... (12/22/11 9:05 AM) Reply
I laways just love your reviews and the travel commentary since I go pretty much nowhere out of daily driving range. Lol! I love the cool look of the button tabs and the chino. Having a roll or two of this type stuff I will attempt some of these next summer and sigh buy yet another pattern for the stash. Nice work!
jenleeC said... (12/22/11 8:59 AM) Reply
Great looking chinos!
jannw said... (12/22/11 3:51 AM) Reply
Nice pants!! Have fun in the bazaar!! the hotel doesn't look too faded, nicely polished brass door handles and great chairs! Have lots of fun!
DreinPA said... (12/21/11 10:32 PM) Reply
Have you found out if there is an actual dhobi ghatt? Turns out washing machines and microwaves are everywhere now. Any chance you are in southern India? The porch looks very familiar- though I suppose most colonial architecture in sweaty places does. I think these merit a repeat.
rivergum said... (12/21/11 5:36 PM) Reply
Great travel khakis! Enjoy your trip!
21wale said... (12/21/11 9:57 AM) Reply
Very nice! The details are great.
renren said... (12/10/11 5:51 PM) Reply
Oh, a faded colonial hotel and exotic bazaar will be the perfect backdrop for these pants. I hope your dhobi wallah treats them with due respect and I especially hope there's a beach with white sand and seashells! Happy travels to you!
Anne Cherry said... (12/10/11 4:53 PM) Reply
I like the no-waist-band look - comfy and stylish!
Margaret said... (12/10/11 9:03 AM) Reply
These look great! Very nice details.
mm said... (12/9/11 8:12 PM) Reply
I can only imagine how much fabric you are going to buy in the bazaar. Enjoy your travel wardrobe.
MNBarb said... (12/9/11 1:27 PM) Reply
I didn't realize this pattern had no waistband. You've done a nice job of finishing. Perfect khakis.
Mufffet said... (12/9/11 11:07 AM) Reply
:) I love the style - very nice job.
fourkid said... (12/9/11 11:03 AM) Reply
These look great - I hope they meet all expectations. Have a great trip!
marec said... (12/9/11 11:00 AM) Reply
I love these pants, especially the tab on the bottom. I like to add that feature to my longer shorts also. Enjoy your time at the "faded colonial hotel" :-)
BexInMD said... (12/9/11 8:57 AM) Reply
These look like great traveling pants. Enjoy your trip!

Patrones Magazine 292-33