Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2010-119 (jumpsuit)

Reviewed by:Elizabeth made this

More Info provided by Elizabeth made this

Pattern Rating:Recommend, with Modifications
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
Fabric:Rayon Challis  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description: from French Burda: "Gazelle on patrol"
A flawless combination of elegance with this cotton sateen sand, cut loose, in large elastic loops at the waist and ankles by a half-siding.
The top features the classic details of the Saharan shirt collar, flap pockets and sleeves retained by flanges.

In reality I think jumpsuits are frightening devices, but I was looking for an elastic waist pants pattern and realized that this one would fit the bill without the top. There are actually two other patterns in this issue that use this pattern as the base--model 120 (capri length), and 121 (short shorts). The only difference is the finished lengths. I only review this pattern and not the others because I think it's funny to recommend a jumpsuit pattern.

Pattern Sizing:34-42. I cut a straight 34.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?no. I eliminated the shirt part of this pattern and the ankle ruching (who does that look good on?).

Were the instructions easy to follow?There's not much to follow here. Elastic pants come together very simply, but Burda's directions are entirely adequate.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I found myself in need of a basic elastic waist pants pattern for pajamas and didn't want to buy another pattern. After studying the line drawing, I realized that this would work perfectly for such a purpose.

I will say that the cut is more slim than typical pajama sorts of pants which is what I wanted. I have too many pairs of pants that are sort of one-size-fits-all (and by that I mean I've worn them not pregnant and all the way to 40 weeks and back again), and I'm a bit tired of that look.

I can't speak to whether or not the shirt portion of this garment is useful because I didn't use it, but I can't imagine why you would want to make a jumpsuit either.
Fabric Used:rayon challis version 1 (blue)
Organic cotton flannel from Cloud 9 for version 2 (peach foxes)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I eliminated the ankle ruching and did my usual pants alterations (length shortening, flat seat, cutting the back inseam smaller to the knee).

back view
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This will definitely be my TNT elastic waist pants pattern. It fits great, does not consume tons of fabric, and comes together quickly.
Conclusion:

This is a diamond in the rough sort of pants pattern that's worth a second look provided you ditch the shirt elements. More on my blog.
~E Made This

And here

Flying Seamstress said... (1/27/12 1:43 AM) Reply
Cute jammies! & I love your entertaining review & blog post. I'm with you on the jumpsuit = frightening device. :)

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2010-118