Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6348 (Misses Dress)

Review submitted in Little Red Dress Contest

Posted on:2/27/12 9:57 AM
Last Updated:3/16/12 1:03 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

prostheticsgirl said... (1/9/15 9:24 PM) Reply
This is so beautiful! Gorgeous color and fit
Sew Good said... (9/8/13 11:53 PM) Reply
Awesome job!
norie creates said... (3/18/12 11:03 PM) Reply
Wow! This is a stunning dress! Kudos to you. It looks great on you too!
norie creates said... (3/18/12 11:03 PM) Reply
Wow! This is a stunning dress! Kudos to you. It looks great on you too!
fauxgetaboutit said... (3/17/12 2:35 PM) Reply
Great detailed review and I applaud your fearlessness in trying all those "firsts" together. It looks fabulous on you!
Vintage Joan said... (3/17/12 12:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for that helpful clarification about lap basting! :)
Barbara V said... (3/16/12 1:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and fit and informative review. I'm impressed that you dyed your fabric!
JenniferMM said... (3/16/12 12:57 PM) Reply
@Vintage Joan - I used Vogue 8449 as a guide for which techniques to use. (I was working on both of them sudo-simultaneously and the Vogue pattern has great hand-sewing details which I thought was appropriate for both silks.). I added a photo of the lap-basting instructions to my Picasa album just for you :). It's very easy and makes a huge difference!
Scheri said... (3/15/12 11:05 AM) Reply
Wondeful dress and great review
Vintage Joan said... (3/14/12 5:17 PM) Reply
GORGEOUS!! :) Very helpful review, too. Could you explain what you mean by a "lap-basting stitch"? I googled this but didn't find anything. Thanks!
StudioCherie said... (3/13/12 7:09 PM) Reply
Jennifer - love all of the firsts for you in this challenge. Great dress - I am a sucker for the bias cut skirt myself. Love your spy pose too. I hope you enjoy your satchel pattern prize!
pmac said... (3/4/12 11:32 PM) Reply
Elegant, classy dress and perfect fit. Congrats on a beautiful creation.
JenniferMM said... (3/4/12 7:13 PM) Reply
Thanks ladies! @cloudyhn the darker color is actually an illusion caused by the pieces being cut on a bias (possibly made more obvious by a shadow). At the side seam, the grainlines form an upside-down v so the light is hitting them differently.
cloudyhn said... (3/4/12 6:21 PM) Reply
Stunning... I love your dress very much and the bias cut. But I have 1 question that There are some photos shown the dress has 2 tones (darker in the back) I'm wondering if it's caused from the light that creates shadow or you did turn up side down fabric while cutting?
Margaret said... (3/4/12 2:25 PM) Reply
Stunning dress on you, excellent work!
ClaireEmily said... (3/4/12 6:09 AM) Reply
That is just a beautiful dress! You look stunning.
sew4real said... (3/3/12 9:09 PM) Reply
Your dress looks stunning. Love the deep red color. I am inspired.
JenniferMM said... (2/29/12 7:27 PM) Reply
Thanks so much everyone! I sincerely appreciate your encouragement! @karen n Technically, I did wash this fabric on hot in the washing machine when I finished dyeing it and not too much color came out. I have not washed it again though since finishing the dress and will update my review once I do :-). Great suggestion!
petro said... (2/29/12 6:25 AM) Reply
Terrific dress, simple but stunning.
Robin Denning said... (2/28/12 8:56 PM) Reply
You have every reason to be very proud of this dress- simple doesn't necessarily mean easy! And the color is just stunning.
Levone said... (2/28/12 1:44 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Great job on this project.
mtnbluebird said... (2/28/12 12:21 PM) Reply
What a sharp looking dress. The color is great on you and the fit is perfect. Great job.
annakeeton said... (2/28/12 6:09 AM) Reply
Lovely dress. Great job dying the fabrics and working with notoriously difficult charmeuse.
SewWil said... (2/27/12 10:24 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! Congratulations on all of your "firsts". Great job!
Jrhee said... (2/27/12 9:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous color, and gorgeous dress!
karen n said... (2/27/12 6:24 PM) Reply
You probably haven't washed it yet, but when you do, can you comment on how well the dye fixed/faded? It looks really evenly saturated in the photos.
karen n said... (2/27/12 6:23 PM) Reply
Gorgeous and great job with all your "firsts"! Hand sewing does help and even though it seems time consuming I find it reduces errors so worth it.
Sassy T said... (2/27/12 4:29 PM) Reply
Looks fab.
Nenewhis said... (2/27/12 11:41 AM) Reply
I love the simplicity of the design, it shows off the craftsmanship of your hard work! Simply Beautiful!
EleanorSews said... (2/27/12 10:28 AM) Reply
Stunning dress. Such a lot of work went into it ~ although one might not guess it, but that's the whole idea.
wordchick said... (2/27/12 10:05 AM) Reply
This dress looks amazing on you! Fantastic work! I love the fabric choice and color. It's stunning...and you did the K. Knightly inspiration photo proud!

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2005-101B