Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5977

Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people
Fabric:Silk Crepe  [See other projects in this fabric]
Pattern Description:
4 Great Looks, One Easy Pattern (Four ruffled tops)
Pattern Sizing:
Misses 14-20 (made the 18 with a Full Bust Adjustment)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Close, but I made a few small design changes. UPDATE: and eventually made a few big design changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very, although I didn't apply the neck and armhole bindings as directed.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that the shape is a basic shell style to which different ruffle types can be added. It's a great base for doing whatever you want! Takes design changes very well. Goes together easily, although my fabric made it a bit more difficult, so I went slow.
In fact, since I managed to get this pattern altered for my shape, and it's essentially the same shape and style as a Colette Sorbetto, instead of using the Sorbetto pattern to make a Sorbetto, I will simply "Sorbetto-ize" this pattern by adding a center pleat while cutting.

Fabric Used:
Silk crepe de chine, very lightweight.
UPDATE: Actually, now that I've worn it a few times, the fabrication is TOO lightweight to handle the ruffle. It pulls down at the neckline and forces the shoulder seams forward. It feels amazing, though, so I'm trying to salvage the situation (since I spent so much time and effort on the thing). I added thread-chain lingerie straps to help hold it in place at the shoulders.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Did a full bust adjustment, which I may have been able to do without if I'd just cut the size 20 and adjusted the shoulder/upper chest width instead. Since I have to shorten the shoulder-to-bust length anyway. It's less complicated than a FBA. But I also had to raise the bust point and therefore the bust darts.
I made View A, but instead of using a double-layer ruffle, I used a single-layer ruffle. I have enough volume on top and didn't want to add to it. Instead of simply basting the pleats in place, I topstitched them a few inches. I hand-stitched the ruffle's raw side edges.
Also, I created side hem vents.
I French-seamed the side seams and shoulder seams. I used a rolled-hem for the hem instead of the pattern's double-turned hem, because my fabric is so lightweight and airy.
I cut and applied the neck and armhole bindings as a normal bias binding, rather than how the pattern directed. It seemed unnecessarily complicated. But instead of machine-stitching in the ditch from the right side to finish the binding, I slip-stitched by hand on the wrong side.
On me (short-torsoed as I am), the top comes down to about crotch length, which I prefer, since I'm also broad-hipped. It makes it more like a tunic, and I really like that.
UPDATE: I thought about shortening the ruffle, but I think it would still be too heavy. So I cut it off altogether right at the seam line. Then I cut some leftover bias strips of the same fabric into 2-inch rhomboids or diamond shapes, pinked two edges on each to create a little leaf-like shape, fray-checked the upper points, and tacked them to the top's front in a "yoke" shape beginning at the neckline. Now there are lots of little fluttery, single-layer bits like I've seen on RTW tops.
For a little extra pinked action, I pinked one edge of another bias strip in the same fabric and sewed it inside the neckline, with the pinked edge rising above the neck binding. I'll post updated photos soon.
Altogether I'm satisfied with the changes made for this particular version of the top. I just wanted something that's actually wearable and cute and doesn't need to be constantly adjusted. In heavier fabrics, the heavy pleated ruffle probably wouldn't be such an issue.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Sure, it's a good basic with some design possibilities.

This is a fantastic wardrobe-builder, an easy experienced-beginner project, and all-around great pattern for a variety of cute work-worthy and casual tops. With or without ruffles!
It's so light and airy in silk. I think it'd be great in rayon, lightweight cottons like voile or lawn, and even possibly a cotton shirting.
Bigwheel179 said... (8/10/15 5:48 AM) Reply
Love your version! Great job! See me
SewOm said... (6/26/12 10:38 PM) Reply
I love the leaves! What a fantastic, creative way to save the top.
jenleeC said... (4/16/12 7:45 PM) Reply
Your single layer ruffle looks very good and sewing it down keeps it looking quite discrete. Very nice.
TJSEWS said... (4/16/12 3:44 PM) Reply
Very cute.

Butterick B4976

by: Sheila457

by: Ghainskom

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

Favorite Things Mama Mia Pattern