Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1031 (Riviera Boulevard Cardigan-Jacket)

Reviewed by:Sew4Fun

About Sew4Funstarstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:4/29/12 7:35 PM
Last Updated:4/29/12 11:54 PM

Iloverowing said... (2/28/13 3:21 PM) Reply
Things are moving far slower for me than I'd hoped. Collar construction raises some questions for me. I've sewn the top and under collar together, but then wasn't sure whether to attach as one piece to the jacket & attach facing last OR should I stitch under collar to Jacket, Upper collar to facing & then attach the two units OR stitch upper & lower collar together, the stitch under collar edge to jacket & upper collar edge to facing. Sorry to sound so stupid & be so slow, but just wondering which method stands the best chance for a clean, smooth finished look.
Iloverowing said... (2/2/13 9:58 PM) Reply
For those needing the sort of help for the sleeve that I needed, Sherry's blog was p0erfect http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.com/2010/05/tricks-of-trade-jacket-sleeve-vents.html I'm very grateful for all the wonderful help available on line. I'm looking forward for completing this jacket this coming week & will post a photo. I'm eager to try Style Arc's "Maria" cardigan ... wish they were available in the states.
Sew4Fun said... (2/2/13 6:06 PM) Reply
Iloverowing, you are right the sleeve vent is a faux vent if you follow the instructions. That is it doesn't open, however it's easy to change it to a real vent, which is what I did on my jacket. As I mentioned I didn't follow the instructions but instead did my own thing. I drafted and cut an extra facing for the vent. No change to the sleeve itself is needed, just an extra facing. HTH
Iloverowing said... (1/23/13 3:30 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comprehensive review. I am about to construct this jacket, but right off the bat am baffled by how to construct the sleeve vent. Is it an open flap. the instruction makes me think the "vent" is not a vent at all, but with the fabric vents both on the inside of the sleeve & only outlines with top stitching on the outside. Is that correct?!
Barbara V said... (5/24/12 8:39 PM) Reply
Your cardigan jacket looks great on you and you worked out the bugs to create a super wardrobe piece. The color and fabric are wonderful!
Wianno Girl said... (5/2/12 10:04 PM) Reply
I too find the Hot Patterns inspirational but not so much functional to sew. Thanks for the road map...
grey ann said... (4/30/12 7:39 PM) Reply
Looks so gooooood on you. Too bad there are so many problems with this pattern.
ClaireEmily said... (4/30/12 5:17 PM) Reply
Such a cute jacket, that is possibly the most expensive looking jacket I have ever seen made out of sweatshirt fleece! Gorgeous :)
Sue Anfang said... (4/30/12 12:41 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, and I love the colour!
sewing addict said... (4/30/12 11:55 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacker and excellent review. Hot Patterns must be aware of the errors by now. I have never bought any for that reason. I admire your thoroughness to check the length of the front and back. I would have gone straight at it, presuming that would be fairly a basic thing to get right. They need you!
moushka said... (4/30/12 10:04 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks fabulous and your review is A++. Thank you.
Knitz said... (4/30/12 9:38 AM) Reply
Good, thorough review -- the jacket looks adorable. Glad you were able to work through the issues.
JOshiro said... (4/30/12 9:37 AM) Reply
I have read so many HP reviews that mention drafting errors, vague instructions, etc, that I simply don't trust them at all. I think you did a good job troubleshooting, but you're right that a pattern at that price point should not require that much work (outside of customizing the fit, anyway).
mrsbewley said... (4/30/12 9:01 AM) Reply
So cute! Thanks for all the tips - this pattern is on my to-do list.
Maree P said... (4/30/12 4:16 AM) Reply
Neat as a pin Belinda. Thanks for this articulate review.
Pollycotton said... (4/30/12 2:12 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Your jacket looks great. I have made this jacket too and have been surprised by the amount of wear I have had from it.
Pollycotton said... (4/30/12 2:12 AM) Reply
Jrhee said... (4/30/12 0:53 AM) Reply
Very cute, and amazingly sewn.
Blooms said... (4/29/12 11:05 PM) Reply
This is a great review. I have been so frustrated by the errors in the HotPatterns patterns that I just use them for style inspiration these days.
becca a said... (4/29/12 10:40 PM) Reply
Thank you for all the details in this review! Your jacket is beautifully sewn (as always) and such a cute style.
Sarsez said... (4/29/12 9:16 PM) Reply
Fantastic jacket and thank you very much for the comprhensive review. Much appreciated.
sugar88 said... (4/29/12 7:54 PM) Reply
The jacket is beautiful and you did an excellent job of construction. It will look wonderful on I am sure
Dilliander said... (4/29/12 7:53 PM) Reply
Wow, fabulous jacket and great review. Very clever tip about the pocket flap.

Victory Hazel Paper Pattern