Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Japanese Pattern Books> Stylish Dress Book 1 (Dress E)

Review submitted in Pattern Stash 2012 Contest

Posted on:7/6/12 3:00 PM
Last Updated:7/8/12 3:58 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
pointdepatou said... (7/2/15 3:57 PM) Reply
I like the fabric, but for some reason paired with pattern on you it does look like a house dress. Maybe something more structured like linen would work. If I use a soft cotton I'm going to underline it to give it more crispness.
testbunny said... (7/21/13 4:26 PM) Reply
It's a lovely dress. You have a similar figure to me, I would just have made it lots longer. Have you tried wearing it over a slightly longer skirt?- bet it will suit you just fine then!That's what I do with too short dresses.
Margaret said... (7/17/12 10:38 AM) Reply
I've decided I have the same problem with anything that doesn't fit into the waist at all, especially in back. Sometimes adding a self-fabric belt helps some (if you have fabric left). I like pammysarry's neckline idea too, and the fabric may also start to soften up more to give it some more drape. Looks like a nice cool dress, though.
dawn so cal said... (7/9/12 10:52 AM) Reply
That´s a great idea to turn in into a tunic! I never would have thought to lower the neckline. Great idea!!
pammysarry said... (7/9/12 6:52 AM) Reply
Love your fabric choice but agree the dress has the mumu look! In fairness, the models picture is side-on so I am thinking even on her it would have that sack like quality. Had similar issue with mumu-ness from simplicity 2174 – it took a lot of reworking to get it to suit my pear shape. Agree with QuikSew – great round the house type of dress for summer. To reduce the mumu-ness, think with this dress - if you are comfortable with doing so - I would recommend lowering the neckline (high necklines are generally not a friend to a fuller bust) to reduce amount of fabric up top. A hint of curve when everything else is hidden. Another option, take the hem up to more mid/upper thigh and wear as tunic over leggings. Really like the deep pockets - look to be at the perfect height!
renren said... (7/8/12 9:46 AM) Reply
This looks like the kind of dress that, although it might not at first be my favorite, I would find myself reaching for again and again because of the comfort. I don't know about the sleeves (if they are too tight or if they pull--a definite turn off for me) but I consider dresses like this to be "low demand"--you can wear them in comfort without having to constantly be reminded you have something on. I bet you find you will enjoy wearing this dress.
mm said... (7/8/12 4:08 AM) Reply
It looks fine.
Renata said... (7/8/12 4:07 AM) Reply
I bought the book because of the dress on the cover and it is a pity you don't like it. Maybe with a softer fabric you would like the style. It might soften up after a few washes and you may grow to like it. I do like it without the belt.
dawn so cal said... (7/8/12 2:55 AM) Reply
Thanks! The book is called Stylish Dress Book.
QuikSew said... (7/7/12 6:16 PM) Reply
I agree with duck bucket. I actually like the light summery look as a dress without the belt. It's not a church dress, but I would wear it around the house and on short trips to the store. Especially in TX when it's 100 degrees.
QuikSew said... (7/7/12 6:16 PM) Reply
FreyaStark said... (7/7/12 4:28 PM) Reply
I like it as it is, without the belt, but then I like the muumuu look and not everyone does. Just wear it around the house! It's too good to waste.
sew4grands said... (7/7/12 9:10 AM) Reply
Like the dress without the belt too. I am looking for a pattern like this, cool for summer, what is the title of the book?
cerulean said... (7/6/12 5:28 PM) Reply
I like the print! It's too bad that it seems too loose to you!
dawn so cal said... (7/6/12 5:16 PM) Reply
Really? You all are too kind! I just hate it! I think it looks like a mumu!
katlew03 said... (7/6/12 4:56 PM) Reply
Very cute and comfortable looking.
loti said... (7/6/12 4:36 PM) Reply
I think it's cute, I also like it better without the belt.
Mufffet said... (7/6/12 3:50 PM) Reply
Soooo cute - both ways, and I like the without the belt best! Because more comfy!
duckbucket said... (7/6/12 3:18 PM) Reply
I actually think it's cute on you without the belt. A nice light summer dress.

by: acmena