Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3098 (Misses' skirts)

Reviewed by:Oziroo

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Sew it seams said... (2/10/05 11:39 AM) Reply
Your skirt is so cute. I bought this pattern quite a while ago, but have yet to try it. I'm going to pull it out today. Thanks for the warning on the pockets. I like the detail of the topstitched pockets, so maybe a "faux pocket" with the same detail would work. I ahve many customers who have me stitch their pockets closed on RTW for just the same reason.
Oziroo said... (1/8/05 4:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for the helpful comments everyone. Maybe I will try the pocket stay when I do this style of pocket with a non stretch fabric. You make a very good point, Gigi, about omitting the pockets - I am quite certainly going to be wearing tops over the skirt and am not going to put anything in the pockets! I think I wanted to do them mainly out of curiosity.
Jennifer shaw said... (1/7/05 6:16 PM) Reply
I really like your sharp looking skirt. It is a great color and is very flattering on you. Thanks for the review. Linen is supposed to be wrinkled. Wrinkles are almost always airbrushed out of photos.
Katharine in BXL said... (1/7/05 1:20 PM) Reply
Oziroo, I always look forward to your reviews. You turn out such quality stuff, and this is no exception. The linen blend is perfect for summer, an comfy with a Lycra blend. Good color choice too--light denim blue is so versatile. We must be tuned in now because I just finished my knee-length version this week... but my photo editor is on the blink, so review is pending.
PVA said... (1/7/05 10:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review -- your skirt looks like you achieved a great fit! I think when we work with linen or a linen blend we just have to let linen be linen. So we let the wrinkles happen unless we decide not to do any sitting at all! (LOL) As was pointed out, what's the point of using linen if you then have to underline?!? I am going to try this pattern in denim, one of my favorite fabrics, & just let denim be denim. (8^D)
Gigi Louis said... (1/7/05 9:54 AM) Reply
One of my favorite skirt patterns! Yours turned out great. I think it's probably difficult to avoid the pocket rippling with stretch wovens. You might try making a pocket stay that goes from one side seam to the other, one piece across the tummy. But, again, with a stretch woven you might find that it will pull from the back if you do that. I always omit the pockets since I like to wear my tops out anyway.
cindyann said... (1/7/05 9:01 AM) Reply
So glad you reviewed this skirt. I was looking at this pattern yesterday. The drawing does seem to indicate that it is wider at the bottom than the finished skirts is. That's great as that was why I hesitated to get the pattern. Since the pockets do not gape, my thoughts would be that it's just the nature of linen.
jlg said... (1/7/05 8:21 AM) Reply
Nice looking skirt. I keep meaning to try this pattern. I have no hints for wrinkling fabric beyond underlining which I would think would help some, but who wants to underline a linen? The point is coolness. I'm curious to see what others would say.

Understanding Knit Fabrics