Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> No Pattern Used> My Twin Dress Form (My Twin Dress Form)

Reviewed by:sewnotwork

About sewnotworkstar
CO USA
Member since: 7/19/11
Posted on:10/7/12 2:51 PM
Last Updated:10/7/12 3:08 PM
Pattern Size:Petite

sewnotwork said... (8/27/13 8:42 AM) Reply
A commenter on my blog said that she was able to contact someone using this email address info@mytwindressforms.com so give it a try. Good luck!
rossi_c said... (8/25/13 3:49 PM) Reply
The website is no longer available and I am looking for a kit or used copy of the book and video.
sewnotwork said... (11/24/12 6:40 PM) Reply
Purchased bandages from eBay supplier. Sorry don't remember who. I also got some from a surgery center that I work in. They tear off extra when they are making a splint, so I kept the discards. Took months. Still have left overs.
dreamdesigner said... (11/23/12 7:36 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! Thanks so much for all the info! Where did you buy the plaster bandages?
Judy Kski said... (10/9/12 10:51 PM) Reply
What an amazing undertaking this was. Thanks for explaining and photographing the entire process. It was very interesting to read about.
dimiko said... (10/9/12 3:18 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for the step by step illustrations. I have been thinking of ordering one of these and your post helped a lot.
prostheticsgirl said... (10/9/12 10:19 AM) Reply
We usually use food grade aersol silicone spray, mostly just due to the quantity we're spraying and to minimize any dangers of exposure for those not wearing respirators
sewnotwork said... (10/9/12 9:06 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the tips! What type of silicone spray? Is there are particular brand that is best?
prostheticsgirl said... (10/8/12 12:07 PM) Reply
I'm a resident prosthetist and this is nearly identical to the process we use when making custom molded body jackets and custom thoracolumbar orthosis. For a release agent I would recommend spray silicone. It's much faster and easier to get good coverage with the texture of the plaster. Also water temperature affects how fast your plaster sets off and there are different "speeds" of plaster available. Cold water makes for more working time; using warm or hot water further speeds the process. You may want to start with cool water and then switch to warm toward the end so the plaster starts reacting at about the same time. Also do not wait until it's full set to remove as it becomes quite stiff. Make sure you wear gloves for the entire process. Instead of stitching the mold back together (after cutting to remove from the body), we typically just use a staple gun to tack it in several places. Then apply more plaster bandages for a more accurate and faster closure of the cut sections, plus you won't have stitches to remove later. Polyurethane foam should be mixed in a well ventilated environment as the addition of any water releases cyanide gas (but greatly increases the volume of foam expansion). Wear old clothes during the foam process because it does not wash out (look at my lab coats and you'll understand). I like the half-round Surforms for smoothing the contours and wrap electrical tape around the ends. It's also a good idea to wear leather gloves (I use ladie's gardening gloves) when working with the surforms and foam because I've bloodied my fingers quite a few times without them!
gneebee said... (10/8/12 8:31 AM) Reply
This is wonderful! I'm inspired, but it still seems intimidating to me. I need a dress form and may give it a try.
Clareew said... (10/7/12 4:18 PM) Reply
Wow, that is amazing. I have bookmarked this for when I do mine - if I do half as well, I will be very pleased.
sewnotwork said... (10/7/12 3:34 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the encouragement! You all are the reason I wanted to improve my skills by having an actual dress form to work on!
Elona said... (10/7/12 3:17 PM) Reply
You did a beautiful job and your description of the process is the best I've ever seen. The thing I like best about this type of dressform is that it works for non-standard figures, reproducing shapes that an OTC dressform cannot, like unusual shoulder width or slope, and very slim hips like yours (lucky you!).
sewnotwork said... (9/5/12 9:21 PM) Reply
@Susi good for you! Nice thing about this form is if you lose more weight you can trim it down too. My mom saw it and said why didn't you make the bust higher? I just said it is what I am. Oh well, can't make me a perky 40 something that I'm not.
Susi said... (9/5/12 1:06 PM) Reply
this looks great and thank you for reviewing it here. I have the instructions at home for about a year now. I was waiting until I lost those extra few pounds and kept on adjusting my commercial dressform. I can't make it any smaller now and it's already too big so I eventually have to make one of these!
Mary Gillette said... (9/2/12 7:32 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for posting! That was a fascinating read and the video was interesting too.
Loualibar said... (8/30/12 5:04 PM) Reply
Thankyou for posting the process and your helpful hints. It's been very intersting.
miausiau said... (8/28/12 9:46 PM) Reply
Lucky you on that IV pole, that will make a great clothes hanger if it doesn't work for the form (it should).
Morisot said... (8/25/12 10:53 AM) Reply
That looks great! Congratulations.
Athene said... (8/25/12 0:06 AM) Reply
Congratulations on making such a great dress form for yourself.
sewnotwork said... (8/23/12 7:03 PM) Reply
It is pinnable and will be covered with rib knit. Go to mytwindressforms.com and it will show exactly what it looks like.
PattyE said... (8/23/12 6:33 PM) Reply
Interesting...do you cover it with something to make it pinnable?
sewnotwork said... (8/22/12 7:51 PM) Reply
I'm still working on it. Almost done. More pictures to come!
Morisot said... (8/22/12 7:34 PM) Reply
How did it work out?
lynne1nor said... (8/17/12 4:21 PM) Reply
This is quite exciting! Glad to see your new dress form is going to be perfect for you. What a helpful hubby you have!
SavageCoco said... (8/16/12 5:39 PM) Reply
Good luck! Little too House of Wax for me!
sewnotwork said... (8/16/12 3:09 PM) Reply
Yes I remember. Definitely not for people who have a tendency toward claustrophia or anxiety. Felt very confining at the end. Test your scissors on extra plaster. Ours could cut through six layers. The cast was cut partway up while the upper chest and neck were still setting up. So that helped.
miausiau said... (8/16/12 2:23 PM) Reply
Somewhere I read a review of this process and the gal involved passed out while wearing the plaster.
dimiko said... (8/16/12 11:37 AM) Reply
Wow, I've been debating whether to buy a dress form or try to make one. I'll have to look into this, thanks for the post!
blue mooney said... (8/16/12 7:42 AM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this process! Looking forward to the rest.
zoe said... (8/15/12 11:37 AM) Reply
Wow. I've had instructions for this for some time, but haven't ventured to do it yet. What a great form you will have as a sewing aide.
Loualibar said... (8/15/12 7:21 AM) Reply
Thankyou for the link. I made one using brown paper tape but it wasn't a big success but this is worth looking at.
Elona said... (8/15/12 2:42 AM) Reply
Good for you! You will find your double a great help in fitting yourself.

Pin-up Girls 1230