Pattern Reviews> Pamela's Patterns> The Perfect Tank Top (The Perfect Tank Top)

Reviewed by:renren

About renrenstarstarstarstar
Member since: 7/20/05
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:8/17/12 8:00 PM
Last Updated:8/17/12 8:27 PM

Margaret said... (8/29/12 5:02 PM) Reply
Looks like it would be a cute top, if the fit can be worked out. Some Kwik Sews use gathering/easing into the side seams instead of darts, and I wonder if that would help on this pattern, if it seems to need more shaping there to stop the gapping (though it doesn't sound like it needs more width....)
cerulean said... (8/24/12 11:23 PM) Reply
Great review, Ren! It's always good to hear about your efforts when fitting patterns like this! It could be a great top if it worked out better.
Julia C said... (8/18/12 8:42 PM) Reply
Very helpful review. I make a 42 upper bust/44 tummy in Ottobre Woman tees. That size range corresponds pretty closely to a small upper bodice/med body in Pamela's Perfect tee for me.
marec said... (8/18/12 4:11 PM) Reply
Fab review renren. I appreciate the work that went into this little tank and hope you continue to fine tune the fit.
Michele Lommasson said... (8/18/12 1:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for a fabulous review. I guess this pattern is as good a jumping off point as any. I don't think many tank top patterns ever really fit anyone perfectly right off the bat. You were wise to recycle for your first attempt. Love the little skirt!
Shae C said... (8/18/12 9:12 AM) Reply
I have three of Pamela's patterns(including this one) and love them. I consider myself an advanced beginner. They do run large, especially compared to sizing in most other patterns. I wear a 16 RTW and have found with her tops I have to cut a medium grading to a large for the waist and hip.
AndreaSews said... (8/18/12 8:44 AM) Reply
Thank you for the great review. I have yet to try this pattern, but it's on 'my list'. I am wondering if this was sewn in a knit with a more springy recovery than a cotton tee-shirt fabric, perhaps you would like the fit a little better? Like you, I am not crazy about darting a knit.
cocosloft said... (8/18/12 8:25 AM) Reply
You are so brave to sew a tank top! I appreciate your tips and that you are getting the kinks out of this pattern...so I can do one too. Love that you are using a recycled tshirt!
sewing for fun said... (8/17/12 11:15 PM) Reply
I, too, to play with my Pamelas tank for fit and found it too gapey at the front. After trial and error, I used the front facing for the next size down and also stabilized the front top edge seam to keep it from stretching and gaping. I had also planned the raised/curved neckline... but not tried yet. I found they run large, too, and had to go down a size from the stated measurements.

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-1013-130