Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7908 (Claire Shaeffer's Jacket)

Viewed 2066 times

Posted on:1/23/05 11:24 AM
Last Updated:1/23/05 2:59 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 22 people

CarolynGM said... (1/25/05 6:52 PM) Reply
Wow! Great job on the jacket and fabulous review. Tailored jackets are my favorite thing to make, and I do want to make this pattern. Your review will really help me when I do.
StitchQueen101 said... (1/25/05 5:13 PM) Reply
I LOVE IT! You really did do a nice job! Your review was really helpful,too. Even if I might not be ready to make a jacket like this,(yet), I definitely want to try using that fabric. I always enjoy a fabric savvy tip!! Thanks!
Koushite said... (1/25/05 10:57 AM) Reply
Please, please let me someday be able to sew like you! I love tailoring jackets, or shall I say the finished product -- it makes all that tediousness worthwhile. I absolutely love the hang of the sleeves on your jacket. And thanks for that info regarding the extra fabric in the sleeve cap -- I'll take it out before I even begin. Thanks again, great review and great jacket.
MickeyFan said... (1/25/05 6:36 AM) Reply
Ryan's mom, your comment made me chuckle. I too have a latent notched collar phobia that started with a bad experience in Home Ec. The way they were typically done then (25 years ago), you were guaranteed to have not only uneven notches, but lumps, bumps, and bubbles to boot! Petra, I am guessing this project took between 15 to 20 hours including cutting. I did take my time with though - slower than my usual pace. You might be able to move through it more quickly.
petra said... (1/24/05 9:04 PM) Reply
Oh boy, I hope that my present jacket project turns out half as good. What a terrific looking jacket - love the effect on the collar. How long did it take you?
ryan's mom said... (1/24/05 7:18 PM) Reply
Wow! This is one beautiful jacket. I admire that nice notched collar too. Something I always shy away from because of bad notched collar experiences in high school many years ago. Great job!
marjenann said... (1/24/05 2:10 PM) Reply
What a terrific looking jacket. Completely upscale. Your write up was extremely helpful. I have this pattern in my stash and will definitely try it now!
Dobedowawa said... (1/24/05 11:31 AM) Reply
Thanx for a very helpful review .. I may get this pattern just for the constr techniques. I am about to embark on my first "properly constructed" jacket .... I shall print your review and keep it handy!
Nancy Anne said... (1/24/05 8:20 AM) Reply
What a terrific pattern, garment and review! I'll have to put this one on my wish list.
lilhoney57 said... (1/24/05 8:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!
Snowblossom said... (1/23/05 11:25 PM) Reply
Wow, wonderful job! Quite an ambitious project. I know the fabric you mean; I bought some in a different color. Its actually really cool looking.
PVA said... (1/23/05 11:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review -- your jacket is absolutely beautiful! I have looked at this pattern in the book many times, but my life-style just doesn't call for anything like this! But, I can certainly admire a beautiful design, beautifully executed!
Deepika said... (1/23/05 10:21 PM) Reply
What a helpful review and what a great jacket. I just want to keep looking at it!!!
mamakooz said... (1/23/05 8:17 PM) Reply
B E A U tiful!!!
MickeyFan said... (1/23/05 5:25 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. AnneM, this jacket took somewhere between 15 to 20 hours from cutting to sewing on buttons. However, the sleeves really slowed me down. I probably spent 4 hours there. had I interfaced the cap before working on them, I might have saved myself a couple of hours of basting and re-setting.
jlg said... (1/23/05 5:06 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Some day I'm going to try this. I bought it as soon as it came out but haven't committed yet.
Danvillegirl said... (1/23/05 3:45 PM) Reply

Danvillegirl said... (1/23/05 3:43 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. I am sure it was a long running project but results were good.
AnneM said... (1/23/05 3:39 PM) Reply
So, how long term was "a long term project"? You got great results. Thanks for the information in your review.
drsue said... (1/23/05 3:24 PM) Reply
Really wonderful jacket. I love the collar contrast.
KathleenS said... (1/23/05 2:46 PM) Reply
Nice jacket. I particularly like the contrast patterning on the collar, and the waist shaping. Thanks for the tip about not using the couture instructions - I have one of the Shaeffer coats and was thinking that I couldn't face the couture instructions and you've confirmed me in that decision.
sewkal said... (1/23/05 2:29 PM) Reply
Wow! Your jacket is stunning. Your hard work here really paid off.
kellyt said... (1/23/05 2:20 PM) Reply
Wow!! That jacket is beautiful. You did an excellant job. I just purchased this pattern and I have been trying to decide what type of fabric to use. Thanks for the tips on the sleeve too.
gabrielle said... (1/23/05 2:12 PM) Reply
Oh, wonderful job! I have this pattern, too. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try it.
Eli said... (1/23/05 1:44 PM) Reply
Gorgeous.... I bought this pattern for the directions only actually. I love how yours turned out and the different texture on the collar. Very smooth professional result.
sailonsilvergirl said... (1/23/05 1:28 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Very nice!! I'll have to get this pattern for when my sewing skills are ready, as I could use some jackets for work.
LisaLS said... (1/23/05 12:56 PM) Reply
What a great jacket!! Sounds like it took a lot of work, but it was well worth it.
Nickle said... (1/23/05 12:53 PM) Reply
I love browns and the contrast you did for your collar facing. At first I thought it was a wool. I bet it looks wonderful on. Very gorgeous jacket. Penny
Modiste Madness said... (1/23/05 12:48 PM) Reply
This jacket is a wonderful reward for all your hard work. It look great.
ChrisK said... (1/23/05 12:25 PM) Reply
You have made a fantastic job of this jacket. I'm sure you will receive lots of complements when you wear it.
VtMartha said... (1/23/05 12:21 PM) Reply
MickeyFan, this is absolutely gorgeous! I have this pattern as well as the Nancy Erickson jacket to try. I haven't sewn a jacket in years!

Understanding Sheer Fabrics