Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2908 (Women's Stretch Jeans)

Reviewed by:Jstarr4250

About Jstarr4250starstarstarstar
SC United States
Member since: 4/11/12

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:10/23/12 11:34 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants

JUNIPERJUNE said... (4/30/13 5:31 PM) Reply
awesome results!
SewWil said... (11/7/12 0:55 AM) Reply
Wow! I can't believe these are your first pair of jeans. I am getting closer to having the courage to make these. I would be thrilled if mine wind up looking as great as yours.
GoodbyeValntino said... (10/29/12 9:43 AM) Reply
Wow! I'd never know this was your first pair of jeans. Just think how much easier your next pair will be :) Great job!!
Legal.Dealer said... (10/25/12 3:55 PM) Reply
Muslin? How high are your standards!? These jeans look like they fit great and your topstitching looks great. You may want to try hammering the thick layers before topstitching. Sallieoh.blogspot.com is the site that taught me the rtw right hand fly. Wear with pride cuz you made great jeans!
JEF said... (10/24/12 8:22 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jeans. I echo what everyone else says - they are wonderful on you!
Jstarr4250 said... (10/24/12 3:56 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for the kind comments and helpful feedback. The credit really must go to Jalie. After wearing them last night I'm even more impressed with the comfort and cut of them. I have printed the Stitches and Seams fly tutorial for my next pair. Cleverkitty; thanks for the great information on Vikings. Last month I bought a Singer with a zillion fancy stitches that I probably would never use. After two days it was returned because the stitch quality was nowhere close to my old Viking and I couldn't see what I was sewing - the needle was so far back under the arm and the lighting was so poor I would not consider keeping it. I just bought a combo serger/coverstitch machine and love that so far, so I'll just hang on to my Viking for a while.
Mahogany Stylist said... (10/24/12 9:30 AM) Reply
JStarr - Excellent job on the jeans. They are superb. Great fit and great style.
Levone said... (10/24/12 9:21 AM) Reply
Amazing job on these jeans!
cleverkitty said... (10/24/12 8:40 AM) Reply
Don't think for one minute your machine is less powerful then any new machine today. I use to sell Viking sewing machines and those 900 series are sought after, in fact I look on Craigslist all the time for them. You have me baffled was to why you had trouble top-stitching you seem to have done everything right. I use stitchesand seams method for my zippers too along with Sandra Betzina video http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3831/video-an-easy-flat-fly-front-zipper. Success all the time. Yes I agree the pocket lining print would look nice facing out. Overall you did a beautiful job sewing these :)
hme75 said... (10/23/12 10:57 PM) Reply
Great jeans! Fantastic fit!
Jrhee said... (10/23/12 9:02 PM) Reply
These look great and I can't wait until you make your khaki pair!
meggipeg said... (10/23/12 6:42 PM) Reply
Your jeans look lovely on you. I have made a few pairs of these and I was terrified the first time. I used a zip tutorial (http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com.au/2001/04/techniques-jeans-fly.html) which was really helpful and now I always do it this way. Great job!
bluenines said... (10/23/12 4:33 PM) Reply
great pair of jeans! congratulations
Raye Ann said... (10/23/12 4:18 PM) Reply
congratulations on jeans that fit and look great! I wish every project could turn out garments the way this pattern does!
blessedtosew said... (10/23/12 3:52 PM) Reply
Those are perfect!!
SavageCoco said... (10/23/12 3:24 PM) Reply
Absolutely outstanding. Your first pair of pants ever and you chose jeans?! A braver soul there isn't! Well done!
Amanda.Claire said... (10/23/12 1:50 PM) Reply
Love your Jalie Jeans! I have just made 3 Jalie Jeans and 2 J stern Jeans. I have a Viking SE that did pretty good over the thick areas. I accidentally made an exposed zipper on a pair too. I'm sure you will double check that area on the next pair like I did. I think it is just catching the edge of the zipper tape on the left side instead of sewing by the teeth (I would have to double check - haha).
sewbehind said... (10/23/12 1:37 PM) Reply
Beautiful jeans. I do hope more are in your future. First pair of pants??? Wow.
ssssdeb said... (10/23/12 1:29 PM) Reply
I had the same problem with the "exposed" zipper! We both need to make another pair. Your fit is fabulous!
MNBarb said... (10/23/12 12:59 PM) Reply
They fit you like a dream and make you look like a model. Yes, make more and keep learning. If you have the fit, you have everything. Maybe try a different method of fly. There are many tutuorials out there. If you aren't a jeans wearer, these also work well in stretch corduroy or twill. I don't know what to say about the topstitching woes. Did you use a jean-a-ma-jig for the lumpy areas? A new machine is always fun (and expensive).
Jstarr4250 said... (10/23/12 12:43 PM) Reply
Thanks! Making them certainly did increase my confidence level.
ArtAttack said... (10/23/12 11:57 AM) Reply
Super great job on your first pair of jeans, and pants, for that matter! I urge you to make another pair to reinforce what you learned and you will be surprised how easy jeans, pants and fly zippers will become. Congratulations on a great pair of jeans!!