Here's another version of this great coat pattern that I previously reviewed. I made some changes to the design here to make it more to my liking. I had plenty of this faux melton I got on sale at Joann. It's not a high end fabric but I like working with it for pattern trials and design ideas. I have learned the hard way not to get into the "good stuff" too soon. Actually this stuff wears pretty well and is washable.
The lower "bulges" on the body of the coat have been gently reduced here. They are an interesting design feature but maybe a little too extreme when I'm not in the mood to make a statement. I eliminated the double breasted front...what a lot of extra fabric there...it just overwhelmed me and created extra weight. The collar has been reduced as well...the one on the pattern was swabbing across my face and removing my concealer and lipstick!
The giant snaps are 'doubled' up so they are supported by the other side...if that makes any sense! I did not want just threads showing and now we are all matching even when the coat is open. You have to buy twice as many and the are not cheap but I haven't mastered my bound buttonholes. They are a modern design feature anyway.
I love the cut and construction of this coat...I highly recommend it for a quick and fashionable coat. The bulgy parts would probably look really chic with a softer fabric. The sleeves really please me...they are big but don't get in the way because the cuff is close fitting. Do yourself a favor and make the cuffs just a hint larger...they'll slide over your freearm machine better and most people have larger wrists than me.