Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5581 (Duffle and Drawstring Bags)

Reviewed by:laurac281

About laurac281star
Member since: 7/17/11
Posted on:12/12/12 1:22 AM
Last Updated:12/12/12 1:33 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories
Hilary said... (2/9/14 6:08 PM) Reply
What a pretty bag!! Love the color choices (and I can see why your DD wanted one, too!
laurac281 said... (12/20/12 9:04 PM) Reply
Thanks again! I just wanted to add that I've done a few refinements to the bag since making it. I feel like the lining on this bag was simply too droopy inside, and needed to be tacked down more than just where it was slip-stitched along the zipper. I went back and covered another cardboard with batting and fabric, and put it inside the bag (this is in addition to the cardboard that was inserted before the lining was added. This makes much more sense to me, and helps hold the lining in place better. I also hand-tacked all four upper corners of the bag (attaching the lining and outside quilted fabric together), and then stitched across the straps in 4 places (where the stitching went across the strap where attached). This has made such a difference, and the bag is now more professional looking and usable. Hope these tips help someone else. Now I'm making 2 more bags, same View B, but the smaller size.
PattiinATL said... (12/13/12 6:37 AM) Reply
That is adorable! Great fabric choice. Thanks for the review--
laurac281 said... (12/12/12 11:16 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone!
Elemenopeo said... (12/12/12 1:35 PM) Reply
really nice
Bestyears said... (12/12/12 7:26 AM) Reply
LOVE your bag! I made a duffle bag recenly too (Simplicity 2600) for myself. But now need to make another as my daughter has taken over this one! I found it was easier just to use my rotary cutter and cut the pieces per the measurement. I agree about adding pockets to the inside -how can a pattern not include that?!?! You did a gorgeous job selecting your fabrics.
Lori V said... (12/12/12 7:13 AM) Reply
Your bag is gorgeous, I can see why your daughter liked it so.

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress