Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

Member since: 4/12/05
Posted on:12/27/12 7:46 PM
Last Updated:12/27/12 8:38 PM

Learn To Sew said... (1/2/13 8:36 PM) Reply
I know I can't do a french seam with the serger. I was not thinking that far ahead. Mainly the first few seams and then finish with a french seam on my Bernina. I was trying to think of a way to reduce some of the bulk where the header joins the body of the case. On the final french seam it is 10 layers thick in that spot.
SouthernStitch said... (1/2/13 2:21 PM) Reply
I don't think you can do a french seam properly with a serger. But, this is the way I have learned to do pillowcases. The instructions are on the Crafty Gemini's You Tube channel in case anyone needs to know how to do it. Our Joann's is teaching a pillowcase class, and has one on display. I was really disappointed to see how it was sewn and they used pinking shears to finish the inside!! Yuck! But, yours are very lovely, and done right!
Learn To Sew said... (12/30/12 11:36 AM) Reply
I am thinking of changing not only the layout on the next set, but of using the serger as well. Not sure how this will work yet. The idea was to make the layers flatter and eliminate one step somewhere. I still want the cases to be french seamed, so nothing shows. Just not sure how to do it with the serger and the sewing machine. I really love the Bernina, as it just plows though those 10 layers like nothing.
Mufffet said... (12/29/12 8:19 PM) Reply
VERY pretty LTS! Thanks for the complete review!
Sonoma33 said... (12/29/12 1:11 AM) Reply
These are really nice. Makes me want to make some too. And don't you just love how easily the Bernina's sew though all those layers! I love that too!
PattyGee said... (12/28/12 0:11 AM) Reply
Wow those are beautiful pillowcases. I can't wait to see your next set. Thanks for the information on the fabric, the black floral is lovely.

by: STARG