Pattern Reviews> Cynthia Guffey Patterns> 4007 (Princess seamline skirt)

Reviewed by:Patti B

About Patti Bstarstarstarstar
Member since: 9/29/02
Posted on:2/8/05 8:47 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
GorgeousFabrics said... (2/10/05 8:35 PM) Reply
Very pretty skirt. There was also an article in this month's Threads about sewing without instructions. Maybe combined with the pleats article that can take a lot of the frustration out of it. I really like the way the skirt and the sweater match. Nice job! -Ann
mjrsew said... (2/10/05 4:10 PM) Reply
Good review. I love that skirt. It is really a classic. Re: Cynthia's instructions---I agree that they are written for people who know how to sew. However, many of the techniques that go into her patterns are acutally quite clearly explained in her books. I have them all but don't remember if there is a section on pleating. I'll check it out and let you know. The cost of Cynthia's patterns (for any patterns in truth) is for the design and the drafting--not instructions or photos or any of the extras. I've made several of her patterns and find them so well drafdted that the pieces always fit together and alterations are realtively easy to make reagrdless of what methods you use. Great job!!!
mjrsew said... (2/10/05 4:07 PM) Reply
Good review. I love that skirt. It is really a classic. Re: Cynthia's instructions---I agree that they are written for people who know how to sew. However, many of the techniques that go into her patterns are actually quite clearly explained in her books. I have them all but don't remember if there is a section on pleating. I'll check it out and let you know. The cost of Cynthia's patterns (for any patterns in truth) is for the design and the drafting--not instructions or photos or any of the extras. I've made several of her patterns and find them so well drafted that the pieces always fit together and alterations are realtively easy to make regardless of what methods you use. Great job!!!
Danvillegirl said... (2/9/05 6:29 PM) Reply
Lovely outfit. I like the look of the skirt.
Phoebe said... (2/9/05 9:12 AM) Reply
You did a beautiful job with the skirt, the fit is perfect. My mom once told me a trick for pleats. If you iron them with a bit of vinegar-water, the pleats will last. I used a pressing cloth soaked in a bit of vinegar water and then use a clapper to hold in the steam. It looks like your method did a great job, I just wanted to give you yet another way to accomplish the task.
Campbell said... (2/9/05 8:40 AM) Reply
I have 2 Cynthia Guffey patterns and found the lack of instructions very discouraging. I probably could make them but I am in no rush.
Patti B said... (2/9/05 8:40 AM) Reply
Thanks for the kind words - I do like the skirt and it's fun to wear. It really wasn't difficult to sew even with the lack of instructions and is so well drafted that the fit is good. Nancy Anne, did you see the link to the pleat view at the end of the first paragraph?
Deepika said... (2/9/05 7:30 AM) Reply
Wow what a nice skirt. I've seen this pattern but never had the courage to make it up :)
Nancy Anne said... (2/9/05 6:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful skirt! Wish I could get a closer up pic of the pleats and the bottom of it. I am with Anne- I'd have to pass on this one with so little instructions.
AnneM said... (2/9/05 5:57 AM) Reply
Great looking outfit. I'll skip the pattern, though - I like instructions.
drsue said... (2/8/05 10:38 PM) Reply
Boy, you'd think you'd get more instructions for $18! Good job despite the lack of instruction.
marya said... (2/8/05 10:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for bringing attention to a classy pattern line.I guess I'll wait till I have more experience, or the patterns get more directions. Nice work on your skirt. It looks very graceful to wear and walk in.
Tina C said... (2/8/05 10:09 PM) Reply
Pattie, Very pretty skirt. And how clever using a foam paintbrush to daub water on the pleats!
Lisa Laree said... (2/8/05 9:10 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, too! It's the only CG pattern I have; I just couldn't resist it after I saw it on the model at last year's sewing expo...it moved so nicely. Just waiting for the right fabric...your paper template idea is great!
jlg said... (2/8/05 9:07 PM) Reply
Pretty skirt, and it looks good on you, but 6 sentences of instructions for a pleated skirt?

No Pattern Used No Pattern Used