Girl's Dress - View C Pattern Sizing:
I made a size 5 - Butterick does not offer finished sizes on their patterns that I can find. The circumference of the skirt is 122 inches which you have to gather into about 20 inches. Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did for the most part. Shape of the dress was the same as it was in the picture. I added tulle over the skirt portion and no seams on the midsection of the bodice in mine. Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions are horrible trying to read through them. (2/1/13) The instructions really didn't help me at all. It was easy to put together, as any basic gathered skirt dress, but the instructions over-analyzed everything and made it seem more complicated than it should be. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pattern itself had the wrong pieces printed on them. It printed 17 through 19 as Side front skirt. Some of the edges of the pattern on all of my sheets had faded out and missing lines that you had to follow to cut. For some reason the bodice lining was a tight fit to the skirt and it took hours of hand sewing and ripping out seams to get it right. Fabric Used:
cotton, posh lining, tulle Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I used two different fabric designs for the top portion and skirt. I also sewed together the 4 front and 4 back bodice pattern pieces before cutting them out. I also added 5 layers of tulle over the skirt to give it a more princess look. Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
On the day I am cutting it out, NO. It's a pain but we'll see how I like the finished project. (2/1/13) I have no plans to sew it again any time time. As cute as it is, I do not want to deal with it again. It frustrated me at every turn. Conclusion:
The dress is really cute but trying to get it done was a pain. I put the tulle on the wrong side of the lining so the seams are now facing in. The skirt was hard to gather because of so many layers, I know it's my fault, but it is also a lot to gather. I couldn't see a reason why the skirt is made up of 5 pieces of fabric when the fabric is wide enough to make it out of less pieces. The bodice lining is cut out of the same pieces as the bodice but did not meet up with the bottom of the skirt seam to cover it so it had to be sewn to the very top of the skirt seam to meet it instead of cover it up like the vintage dresses I like to make. I would make it longer in the future and will mark my pattern as so.