Pattern Reviews> Silhouette Patterns> 1750 (Robin's Jacket)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people

Sweater knit fabrics

Lisa Laree said... (1/11/14 10:43 PM) Reply
note: I did make a royal blue jacket w/black trim, but it was after the red one...in 2008...
CherylStillSews said... (5/22/07 0:41 AM) Reply
Just stumbled across your review whilst researching Silhouette patterns - I like the pink but the red is stunning!
hongkongshopper said... (11/27/06 9:46 PM) Reply
I agree, the red looks great - and very festive! congratulations on getting the "job" done so quickly!
PegL said... (11/27/06 0:07 AM) Reply
The new jacket is great! You should wear red more often!
cecelia said... (11/26/06 6:58 PM) Reply
Your jacket is lovely, and I'm sure the matching black skirt will really set it off. The trim really adds to its style.
jlg said... (11/26/06 6:57 PM) Reply
I really like your red jacket; I think that the color is very becoming.
Mini said... (11/26/06 6:37 PM) Reply
When I looked at the pattern cover, I liked everything about the design except those big old "Dynasty" shoulders. It looked like it didn't fit the model at all. Yours looks so much better, and no one would ever guess that you had to fight with the fabric or binding to get that nice result:).
Elona said... (11/26/06 5:02 PM) Reply
I love the red one especially. It looks great on you, and is that a new hairdo?
LBJ said... (11/26/06 4:56 PM) Reply
Both jackets are gorgeous. Good job!
jo37 said... (11/26/06 4:41 PM) Reply
Great jacket. I have some of Peggy's patterns, but have not made any. Thanks for the info about the sizing.
moushka said... (11/26/06 4:24 PM) Reply
That red plaid is to die for! Both jackets look great. You'll look very festive in the red for Christmas. Great reveiw.
Lisa Laree said... (11/26/06 2:40 PM) Reply
Rhoda, I'm not sure what happened w/the photo link. I just made sure it linked to the correct album at Photoworks(click on 'view photos' in the photoworks welcome page to see both jackets in the album), although the thumbnail I uploaded is showing for the project photo. I made two jackets; The original jacket (Apr '05) was the pink cotton from JoAnn's, with black trim...I've no idea why it would show as light blue(?); the new (today's update) jacket is from a very nice red wool/lurex plaid.
trinicity said... (11/26/06 2:31 PM) Reply
very lovely
Rhoda K said... (11/26/06 2:01 PM) Reply
Lisa, I'm bumfuzzled . . . the jacket that comes up thru your photo is light blue w/black trim, a very nice looking jacket. In your review you mention Nancy E's fabric. I'm assuming you haven't made it out of that fabric yet as your description under the photo mentions fabric from Joann's. Then further down in the review you mentioned not using plain "poly/cotton bias tape on that beautiful fabric". From the caption under the photo, I get the impression that you weren't too crazy about the fabric from Joanns. Please help me get my brain cells in working order. Or, I'll figure it out after I post this!!
Gingersew said... (4/10/05 7:08 AM) Reply
Very pretty jacket ... you'd never guess you had any problems with it! Thanks for the thorough review ... makes me want to try the pattern!
Gigi Louis said... (4/5/05 4:12 PM) Reply
Your jacket is beautiful, Lisa! All your headaches with the binding were worth it. :-)
Lisa Laree said... (4/5/05 3:49 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for the comments, ladies! Linda, I think Peggy's patterns are just like anyone else's ... the trick is to get the right fit in the shoulders. If you can get that, then you can measure/pivot/slide to make the rest work. I did the same thing here I would've done to a Big 4 pattern, I just had to figure out what size to start with. Oh...I didn't have to lower the bust point, though ;). Rennie, the Expo was GREAT...I came away inspired, enlightened, exhausted, and over my planned fabric purchase allotment...all in all, a success! :)
Rennie Ashby said... (4/4/05 6:27 PM) Reply
Looks good despite being a pain in the neck. Thanks for the tips on the binding. So how was the Atlanta Expo?
Karla Kizer said... (4/3/05 8:36 PM) Reply
Lisa, I've been considering this pattern for a while; I've almost clicked on the "Add to Cart" button several times. Your version looks wonderful, but your warnings about the sizing has made me think that I'll save this one for a time when I have more patience. In addition to writing a review that's filled with helpful construction and style imformation, you've saved me from adding a another Procrastination Pattern to my current stash. Thank you, and enjoy the jacket; your work paid off.
Tiner W said... (4/3/05 7:55 PM) Reply
Very, very pretty jacket!
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/3/05 11:32 AM) Reply
Lisa, yours looks much better than the pattern photo. Great job! I wish she would re-design her fashions for smaller shoulders. I never make Silhouettes patterns because the shoulders look so dated, even when the styles are not. -Ann
drsue said... (4/3/05 11:04 AM) Reply
Very pretty. I've been scared away by the weird sizing on these patterns myself. I like many of their designs though.
Danvillegirl said... (4/3/05 10:25 AM) Reply
Lisa, great save on this jacket. I love the pink and black. I cannot get the Silhouette patterns to fit right for me and always jealous and happy for others who get them right. I love the fashion look of them, but I have so many variables in size that it becomes frustrating. I love the look of the pockets and the front binding. You did an excellent job with ravelly fabric and fitting concerns.
CarolynGM said... (4/3/05 9:13 AM) Reply
Very pretty jacket -- the shoulder pads help it hang very nicely. Even though the binding was pain, it looks great.
Nancy Anne said... (4/3/05 8:52 AM) Reply
That is absolutely beautiful- looks way better than the pattern drawing!
jlg said... (4/3/05 6:22 AM) Reply
Your jacket turned out great. Looks pretty on you.
annsew65 said... (4/3/05 1:58 AM) Reply
Lisa, even though you had such a struggle for what you thought was going to be so simple, it really looks nice! Great job! I may see that pattern in my future!
Schnauzer said... (4/3/05 0:19 AM) Reply
Very nice!
Kathryn said... (4/2/05 11:37 PM) Reply
Lisa, I always love reading your reviews, and this one is up to your usual excellent standards--fun to read and lots to learn in each one. The jacket is really cute, with the black contrast, and must be comfortable to wear. The alterations you made were interesting as well, since I have now learned, through you, that even though one size works in one of the Silhouettes patterns, it may not necessarily work in another one in the same line. Thanks for saving me from a fitting mistake in the future!
PVA said... (4/2/05 11:00 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, Lisa. I love your jacket. It is a great start for the contest!
Levone said... (4/2/05 10:43 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket. Love the colors.
Lisa Laree said... (4/2/05 9:27 PM) Reply
Yup. A black skirt is exactly what's next on the list... ;)
Sherril Miller said... (4/2/05 9:19 PM) Reply
Cute jacket. I can't wait to see what you make to go with it. Maybe a black skirt?

by: ButtonFait...