Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8285 (Dress & Jacket)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

About Kay Ystarstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 11/21/04
Posted on:4/15/05 9:19 PM
Last Updated:4/15/05 9:20 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Coat/Jacket
Margaret said... (3/12/10 5:21 PM) Reply
Kay, I'd be interested to know if you ever found the type of buckle the pattern wants. I don't think I've seen anything like it, so I ended up using two thin metal rings instead. The dress looks great -- I love it in that print!
Vintage Joan said... (1/29/08 12:05 PM) Reply
(Lorna, Kay reviewed Burda 8285, but the "Burda pattern info." incorrectly shows 8286. Both apparently now out of print, unfortunately.)
Lorna C. Newman said... (9/4/06 2:36 PM) Reply
Kay, I think Burda changed the pattern numbers on you. This number is now a zip front blouse! Any chance of showing a shot of the pattern envelope?
Danvillegirl said... (4/18/05 5:01 PM) Reply
Really like the look of this pattern. Your dress turned out nice.
rosa said... (4/16/05 7:14 PM) Reply
HI Kay, Your dress looks fabulous. I have just bought this pattern - like you for the jacket and just like you I cannot find the buckle! However, while I'm searching I'll do the dress which looks so much better in your picture than on pattern packet. Thanks so much. Rose in Sydney
CatherineN said... (4/16/05 4:11 PM) Reply
If preshrunk, bemberg is washable.
Kay Y said... (4/16/05 10:32 AM) Reply
In answer to Irina's question, it does not "pooch" out, despite the fabric in the midriff area. The fabric is pleated there, you can press it quite flat, and the effect is to shape the front rather than bulk it up at all. Thanks all for the nice feedback, and for the tips on the buckle - on with the search!
Tiner W said... (4/16/05 8:38 AM) Reply
Awesome! I've been eyeing this pattern; now I'm convinced I need it! Your dress is so beautiful and unusual!
JoleneF said... (4/16/05 7:42 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress!
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/16/05 7:38 AM) Reply
Kay that dress is stunning! I agree with Lisette - try M&J. You might also try Daytona Trims in New York. Their phone number is (212) 354-1713. -Ann
Lisette said... (4/16/05 6:59 AM) Reply
Lovely dress. Have you checked www.mjtrim.com, I know they carry a lot of buckles.
CarolynGM said... (4/16/05 6:06 AM) Reply
Nice print and a very interesting style. How does it look on? Is there any "pooching" where the gathering is?
els said... (4/16/05 4:01 AM) Reply
love the design details of your dress,about the circulair buckle there was a thread last year on the message boards.
Jan B. said... (4/15/05 9:38 PM) Reply
I had a RTW dress like this years ago and loved it. Unfortunately, it was rayon and I washed it--shrunk incredibly. Thanks for the review, think I'll try this one. You do such a nice job of sewing and reviewing.

by: EmeraldEri...