Pattern Reviews> Fashion Sewing Group> 1945 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:KarmenG

About KarmenGstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 1/3/03
Posted on:4/16/05 4:55 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 25 people
natural blue said... (4/20/05 4:15 PM) Reply
Oh Lois, What beautiful work! Congrats on a stunning addition to your wardrobe.
CarolynGM said... (4/17/05 8:42 PM) Reply
What a fun idea -- to collaborate with someone on a pattern! Your buttonholes and slash pockets look absolutely perfect. Congratulations on such a beautiful garment and for having the patience to master what sounds like a very difficult pattern.
Danvillegirl said... (4/17/05 7:24 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great. You and Kay Y did a great job with a trying pattern.
KarmenG said... (4/17/05 3:36 PM) Reply
Tricia - I'm glad you'll give it another try. Feel free to write if you have questions. I took the less traditional route of Speed Tailoring and fused the entire jacket which minimized raveling. Good luck and we'll be looking for your review! ; )
Tricia Plummer said... (4/17/05 2:46 PM) Reply
Karmeng, This review was very helpful to me. I subscribe to Nancy's newsletter and have all her patterns (not to mention her beautiful fabrics!) I tried this pattern once but the fabric from her newsletter raveled an awful lot and I probably lost a size and a half (before I decided to serge the edges!) Anyway, I've been afraid of the pattern ever since (although the raveling had nothing to do with the pattern) but after reading your review, I'm going to make a muslin and give it another shot. Thanks for the great info.
KarmenG said... (4/17/05 11:51 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the kind comments. Mary Beth the slit is 3" long. The photo makes the sides look uneven but they are the same length.
MaryBeth said... (4/17/05 10:47 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks great! I love the slits at the sleeves. Good save and I like the length of the slit: it's eyecatching and interesting.
MickeyFan said... (4/17/05 10:38 AM) Reply
Another excellent review and a lovely jacket. I'm certain you will get many compliments!
Sherril Miller said... (4/17/05 10:35 AM) Reply
Lois, I'm so impressed. Your jacket is fabulous. You got the fit perfect and have done such a professional job on those bound buttonholes and welt pockets.
Gigi Louis said... (4/17/05 8:52 AM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket! I love the change you made to the sleeve.
JoleneF said... (4/17/05 8:20 AM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket and a great review!
blue mooney said... (4/17/05 7:17 AM) Reply
another lovely jacket. Thanks for doing these side-by-side reviews. Very helpful, and it sounds like it was fun, too!
PixieCat said... (4/17/05 5:37 AM) Reply
Wow! This is what I aspire to be able to make some day. Gorgeous!
kathi s said... (4/17/05 0:10 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! I love your fabric. You and Karmeng have really got this pattern mastered. After reading both your comments, I think that I will have to leave this one for a time when I have better skills. Congratulations!
PVA said... (4/17/05 0:08 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket -- I love your design touches, as in the open sleeve vent topped with a button. (I like the buttons, too.) The great part about deciding to use this pattern in spite of its shortcomings is that now we all can refer back to the reviews that give us advance warnings about the trouble spots. (8^D)
MarilynB said... (4/16/05 10:41 PM) Reply
Your jacket is wonderful. I have made this jacket twice and love the look of it. Even with all the flaws in the pattern and instructions, it is a flattering jacket.
Liana said... (4/16/05 10:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Looks like you two had a great time doing a wonderful project.
Lori V said... (4/16/05 10:06 PM) Reply
very beautiful
Kay Y said... (4/16/05 8:15 PM) Reply
Great recovery on the sleeves!! I really like that look with the button above the opening. I may have to borrow the idea sometime....
jlg said... (4/16/05 6:36 PM) Reply
Lovely. The workmanship is impressive.
KarmenG said... (4/16/05 5:56 PM) Reply
Jennifer - I think an intermediate sewist would be fine. I opted for some speed tailoring touches which still produced a nice result. Peggy Sagers and Mary Rohr have both published videos/books on that stuff if you need input. Go for it!
els said... (4/16/05 5:45 PM) Reply
Another stunning jacket.
Patti B said... (4/16/05 5:44 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket, Lois!
Peggy L said... (4/16/05 5:15 PM) Reply
Beautiful job! I love bound buttonholes and yours look fantastic. Sounds like the two of you had a great time with this jacket. They are both stunning.
Jennifer shaw said... (4/16/05 5:04 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket!! Thanks for the tips about the button placement. Would you say that this would be better for an intermediate sewist?
Julia in NC said... (4/16/05 5:01 PM) Reply
your jacket is gorgeous. wow.

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2007-101