Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8513 (Hipster trousers/pants)

Reviewed by:Tonia Van Dyk

About Tonia Van Dykstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 8/14/02
Posted on:9/3/05 5:37 PM
Last Updated:9/3/05 5:37 PM

See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew    Pants
Tonia Van Dyk said... (9/8/05 5:32 PM) Reply
Deepika, I wore these pants all day today. (I had to wait for a cooler day, isn't it supposed to be fall?) They are extremely comfortable. The waistband was very slimming, because it was perfect all day, no slouching, curling or buckling at all. I think I may do this in the future pairs I make. I've got about four or five pairs from this pattern already.
Deepika said... (9/4/05 8:44 AM) Reply
Tonia, great pants. Love the top too. What a great idea to add boning. Is it uncomfortable though when you sit down? I've made 3 of these pants now and I interface all parts of the yoke (facing too) with medium weight interfacing and I find that its pretty stable. It doesnt curl.
jemgirlca said... (9/4/05 8:23 AM) Reply
Thanks Tonia, good idea!
Tonia Van Dyk said... (9/4/05 7:58 AM) Reply
Jemgirlca - I applied the boning (little, little strips of about 2 or 2-1/2" long) on the inside facing. The boning I used was the type with the separate casing. I snipped the actual boning a little shorter than the casing, folded the casing over the top and bottom of the boning to prevent it from moving, and then stitched the casing to the wrong side of the facing, after the facing was stitched together (side seam and centre back seam). I placed boning at the centre back, the side seam, and on each side of the zipper to add a little more support. I found that this way the facing doesn't curl or fold while I am wearing the pants. This way all you see in the finished trousers is the stitching lines (and in my case you can hardly see them at all as the fabric is tweed).
jemgirlca said... (9/3/05 10:47 PM) Reply
Love these pants! I have this pattern, too, but haven't perfected it yet. How and where did you apply the boning?
Tiner W said... (9/3/05 8:07 PM) Reply
Very pretty outfit! I like the fabric very much.

by: sewdc