Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4531 (Laura Ashley office totes)

Reviewed by:KarmenG

About KarmenGstarstar
MA United States
Member since: 1/3/03
Posted on:9/26/05 11:28 PM
Last Updated:9/26/05 11:28 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 9 people
See other patterns in this category: Crafts

Other Projects by KarmenG using this Pattern

hat-and-bag-lady said... (5/29/08 3:21 PM) Reply
You used flannel-backed satin?! Impressive. I've never been able to use that without it unraveling all over the place on me! My Sewing Store Lady says I ought zigzag rather than straight stitch, but I haven't tried that yet. Your bag looks great by the way.
gloria said... (10/8/06 11:33 PM) Reply
me gusta mucho el contenido de esta pagina existe mucha creacion me gusta mucho las bolsas y carteras, gracias por existir pagina asi gloria
Hilary said... (9/29/05 12:36 PM) Reply
I am definitely going to have to get this out and try it-it sounds like a cool way to line the bag too. Thanks for the detailed review!
apple annie said... (9/28/05 4:35 PM) Reply
Looks like a winner, thanks for sharing all your construction tips. Very helpful and a most attractive tote.
Danvillegirl said... (9/28/05 7:22 AM) Reply
Wow! I am impressed with this bag. Your summary or outline of the process is interesting. I attempted bag with zipper and it came out terrible. So have shyed away but maybe this has potential. Truly appreciate your review of this pattern.
2BSewing said... (9/27/05 7:54 PM) Reply
The fabric you chose for the bag is beautiful. I have this pattern in my stash. Thanks for the review. Nice work.
Elemenopeo said... (9/27/05 2:16 PM) Reply
Impressive.
KarmenG said... (9/27/05 12:18 PM) Reply
Jennifer - I did not follow the pattern instructions for the straps. Mine are flat but I have a filler inside. I bought cotton belting at JoAnn's. It's about 1" wide, sort of looks like macrame - made from cotton string, braided together. I cut it in half to use 1/2" for each strap. Encased it with the ultrasuede using Steam-A-Seam2 to fuse it flat. Then I edgestitched both edges. As I fed it through the machine I tried to curve it towards the ceiling, behind and in front of the needle to sew a slight curve into the strap. It worked quite well.
Jennifer shaw said... (9/27/05 11:59 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for your review! The tote bag is gorgeous. I am planning to make a bag with ultrasuede straps. Did you fill the straps with "raw" piping or are the straps flat? Thank you again!
licarritc said... (9/27/05 9:09 AM) Reply
I have this pattern but had always put off trying it because the photos are so "cutesy" yours is sleek and professional. Now I have another pattern on the to do list.
Patti B said... (9/27/05 8:44 AM) Reply
What a gorgeous bag. Thanks for reviewing their lining method ... I think I 'need' this pattern.
els said... (9/27/05 2:09 AM) Reply
This bag is so elegant, due to the fabric you choose and of course your expertise.Thanks for the review.
gabrielle said... (9/27/05 1:10 AM) Reply
Thanks very much for the helpful review, and I like the bag very much. I've been looking for a totebag pattern, but not having made a bag before I had no idea which one to try. this one goes on my wishlist.:)

by: Roary