Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> Nairobi Bag (Nairobi Bag)

Reviewed by:els

Posted on:10/25/05 3:49 PM
Last Updated:10/25/05 5:55 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 35 people
els said... (10/31/05 6:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for all your flattering comments on my Nairobi Bag. The bag size and shape is definite a keeper but using this bag I mis a key holder strap to use, or a small zip pocket where I can keep my keys in. I will buy a key strap because thatís the easiest to attach now that the bag is finished already. On the next bag I will add and extra zippered pocket at the outside on the back of the bag too.
Asa Hagstrom said... (10/30/05 8:26 AM) Reply
Very nice bag, Els! I especially like your idea for making the shoulder strap less bulky, will have to remember that!
barbc said... (10/30/05 8:02 AM) Reply
Excellent review! I love the details you added. Makes me want to make one in leather. Or maybe felted wool.
Georgene said... (10/29/05 9:29 PM) Reply
Nice sewing, to say the least. It makes me remember that I don't really know how to sew. I like your changes, the boning idea is very smart.
Peggy L said... (10/27/05 7:48 AM) Reply
Beautiful! Great review and beautiful work.
JDpenelope said... (10/27/05 6:48 AM) Reply
There's nothing left to say! If there were PhD's for bagging making, you'd have one.
Katharine in BXL said... (10/26/05 9:53 PM) Reply
Fabulous! You make such great bags. Could this review have the highest "Very Helpful" rating of any review..? Wow :)
SewTabby said... (10/26/05 8:13 PM) Reply
Seriously gorgeous!
GorgeousFabrics said... (10/26/05 12:05 PM) Reply
Stunning, fabulous, amazing, wonderful, every superlative in the book! -Ann
McKavity said... (10/26/05 11:44 AM) Reply
Wow! Excellent job!
Susan R said... (10/26/05 10:57 AM) Reply
This is a gorgeous bag, as are the other Nairobi bags reviewed so far. Just for fun, I browsed the internet to see what the YSL Mombasa bags are like. The ones PR members have made are at least as nice as bags that are ON SALE on the internet for $500! Wow.
PhyllisC said... (10/26/05 10:50 AM) Reply
Els - I am lovin' that bag! And the lining is perfect. This is like a $300 bag at full retail.
licarritc said... (10/26/05 7:47 AM) Reply
You always do such fantastic work and this is no exception. I want to do an evening/pouchette version and will definitely be using some of your suggestions
SewVeryTall said... (10/26/05 6:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag, Els! Looks like real leather, and better than store-bought. I'd never heard of a "bag stop" before, is this something you purchased or is it cut from a special type of fabric?
Deepika said... (10/26/05 6:22 AM) Reply
Els what a helpful review. I too like the zippered closure in my bags and I might change the shape and add zipper following your instructions, but I guess the first step is joining these pieces together :)
Danvillegirl said... (10/26/05 5:44 AM) Reply
Very good review. Your bag looks great, very RTW. Faux leather looks like leather to me. Excellent job. This is inspiring.
Elisabetha said... (10/26/05 4:54 AM) Reply
Els It's absolutely stunning!!
Maychi said... (10/26/05 2:36 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! Very inspiring!
Lori Sews said... (10/25/05 10:45 PM) Reply
gorgeous bag! I am so impressed!
Sew4Fun said... (10/25/05 10:37 PM) Reply
Wow, great bag! Thanks for the wonderful review and sharing all your secrets. I love your improved version.
kathi s said... (10/25/05 10:03 PM) Reply
Absolutely wonderful! Your skills are awesome, Els!
Modiste Madness said... (10/25/05 9:29 PM) Reply
I feel like I got a free purse making lesson. Thanks. Love the bag.
SansSouci572 said... (10/25/05 9:21 PM) Reply
"Wearable Muslin!" You're so modest! Seriously, what a clever girl, using the boning!
Annika said... (10/25/05 9:08 PM) Reply
Holy Cow! This is one great bag!
sewlily said... (10/25/05 8:50 PM) Reply
Wow. These bags are so impressive. I love your design change. If you don't like it, I am sure you could sell it on EBAY!
MaryBeth said... (10/25/05 8:22 PM) Reply
Very professional, polished, well put together and thought out, excellent bag! Thanks for sharing it and your design changes/decisions, els!
Meguiar said... (10/25/05 8:22 PM) Reply
Gorgeous bag! And very helpful review -thanks!
BorderCollieMom said... (10/25/05 8:10 PM) Reply
Spectacular! Thanks for the tips in the review, too! It's been fun seeing the different fabrics/versions of this bag being posted by other reviewers, too.
Jennifer shaw said... (10/25/05 8:08 PM) Reply
This is one spectacular accessory! Thank you for all of your amazing tips to inspire making this.. gorgeous purse. If you ever get tired of this lovely muslin, it can have a really nice home out here in San Francisco!
Motorposus said... (10/25/05 7:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the shoulder strap seam and rigilene tips. Very useful ideas.
Hilary said... (10/25/05 7:18 PM) Reply
wonderful bag!! Thanks for such detailed tips-very helpful!
Gigi Louis said... (10/25/05 6:38 PM) Reply
Wow, Els, your bag is gorgeous!
Karla Kizer said... (10/25/05 6:38 PM) Reply
els, your bag looks exactly like the version I have in mind, right down to the zipper closing. How nice to see what I could wind up with if I do as great a job as you did. I'm recycling a leather coat, and I spent the afternoon looking for antique brass fittings. Now I'd better get busy....and with your review as a roadmap, life will be much, much easier. Thanks!
Lori V said... (10/25/05 6:20 PM) Reply
Wow, what a great bag for a "muslin" looks perfect. Thanks for the tips on adding a zipper.
Lisette said... (10/25/05 6:09 PM) Reply
Wonderful bag, I am also planning to make one out of some leftover faux leather. I will reference your review and I hope mine turns out as nice as yours!
Eli said... (10/25/05 5:38 PM) Reply
Doesn't look like a wearable muslin, Els! :) Very cool bag!
LisaLS said... (10/25/05 5:13 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! Your bag is amazing!
PegL said... (10/25/05 5:10 PM) Reply
Wow! This looks like a high dollar bag from a very high end shop! Very nice!
drsue said... (10/25/05 4:55 PM) Reply
That is one awesome bag!!! I wish I had some fabric like this to make one up for myself.
milwaukee_kelly said... (10/25/05 4:51 PM) Reply
WOW it RAWKS! I love the color.
Tailypo said... (10/25/05 4:21 PM) Reply
Wonderful bag! Thanks for the detailed review.
touran said... (10/25/05 4:18 PM) Reply
Thank you for such an instructional review. Your work is amazing and I learn every time from you.
Marita Kinnula said... (10/25/05 4:00 PM) Reply
What a great bag, and the color is just awesome, I'll adopt your rigilene trick to my bag, may I? Unless I figure out something else, like metal bones that can be removed for washing but I guess that might be too complicated though , just a thought.
KitnRose said... (10/25/05 3:58 PM) Reply
"wearable muslin" --- if only my finished products looked half so stunning! Lovely, professional, results! Thanks for the tips on changes you made and all the pictures - I'm a visual person so love those!
sew obsessed said... (10/25/05 3:55 PM) Reply