Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> 1048 (Coco Twinset)

Reviewed by:MaryBeth

About MaryBethstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 1/1/03
Posted on:12/23/05 2:40 PM
Last Updated:12/24/05 11:54 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 45 people
bluesgirrl said... (1/19/09 0:22 AM) Reply
awesome review with great pics!
Chersews said... (12/11/08 7:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for your review. Just wish I had read it before I got the pattern. I was expecting an easy knit sewing experience. Thanks for your honesty in saying this is an advanced pattern. I'll put it in my "when my sewing skills grow up" bin. (LOL)
Nancy K said... (5/16/06 7:56 AM) Reply
I really enjoyed your review, seeing your process was educational and inspiring. The set looks wonderful on you, enjoy your complements
Agnes Bohl said... (2/11/06 10:02 AM) Reply
I did think this review was very helpful. I am thinking of trying this pattern & am glad I read it, I don't like surprises either !
TJSEWS said... (1/7/06 8:08 PM) Reply
It looks great! You have inspired me to purchase the pattern and give it a try. Thanks for your detailed review.
Asa Hagstrom said... (12/28/05 10:49 AM) Reply
What a flattering outfit! You look great in this color. Thank you for the detailed and helpful review!
SouthernStitch said... (12/27/05 8:37 AM) Reply
You look glowing in this - just perfect. What fun you had! You are just so creative and I'm glad you enjoyed this process!
melgosews said... (12/26/05 12:52 PM) Reply
Very lovely! Trim is so creative and stylish.
Harriet Rogers said... (12/26/05 10:57 AM) Reply
Fantastic outfit on you. Thanks for all the details: your work really paid off. This looks truly beautiful.
Liana said... (12/26/05 0:26 AM) Reply
MaryBeth, This is so darling, and your details really make it very special. Great job!
Modiste Madness said... (12/25/05 8:55 PM) Reply
Great job on you twin set, especially on the design details.
SansSouci572 said... (12/25/05 12:44 PM) Reply
I am on "private?" Now how did that happen? Yep. That is what I did to the hem too.
Sherril Miller said... (12/25/05 11:57 AM) Reply
MB, this is fabulous. I want one. I love the details. I was afraid of these patterns since I was taking a patternmaking class I didn't want to go in another direction. But now, I just HAVE to get this pattern. Thank you for this review! This is such a georgous set and you look wonderful!
sewlily said... (12/25/05 9:57 AM) Reply
You did a masterful job with the fit and the fabric. The hand finished detail is wonderful. Thanks for your review.
Deepika said... (12/25/05 9:42 AM) Reply
Marybeth I was just browsing the reviews today and saw your photo. I havent even read the whole review yet, but I just want to say that you look gorgeous!!!
artist1lisa said... (12/24/05 8:33 PM) Reply
You look great.I love seeing us "curvy girls"in stylish clothing.You did a wonderful job.Thanks for such a helpful review.
Cambric Tea said... (12/24/05 7:57 PM) Reply
You really did Hot Patterns proud! Your care and thought really shines through the end result. Great job!
Pam Z said... (12/24/05 4:28 PM) Reply
Gorgeous sweater set, MB. Your details make this set look expensive.
SewingSkater said... (12/24/05 3:32 PM) Reply
Oh how beautiful! I love this! Very very chic... wow. :)
CatherineN said... (12/24/05 1:55 PM) Reply
Choosing self fabric buttons was a wise choice. Your sewing skill sure helped you to make an unusually interesting outfit. PS, I always admire your pretty complexion.
Vonnevo said... (12/24/05 1:12 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous MaryBeth! Colour, fabric, extra detail and style suit beautifully.Thank you for a very comprehensive review :)
MaryBeth said... (12/24/05 11:58 AM) Reply
Christianne: I knew I forgot something!!! I added an edit above w/photo to address the hem...tried to send you a PM but you're private :)
SansSouci572 said... (12/24/05 11:25 AM) Reply
Mary Beth, I am so glad you were two steps ahead of me as I was sewing this too! Your trim, each puzzle, it worked!!! I love the chinese balls on your sleeves too. And how the understitching looks like the fabric. I never thought of zigzagging understitching! I better finish mine today! Sort of stuck on the hem now...weird thing happened I am trying to figure out!! (yeah, the hem, the most simple element of all!) Alot of "intuitive" sewing on this one, eh?
moushka said... (12/24/05 10:47 AM) Reply
Mary Beth, Your projects all look good but this is the greatest! Lovely style, beautiful colour, and very snazzy trim and buttons. Definitely 5 stars. Thanks for the detailed review.
Lisa Laree said... (12/24/05 10:31 AM) Reply
Beautiful, Mary Beth! What a delicious bit of sewing you've done here...thanks for sharing it and all the details!
Georgene said... (12/24/05 9:41 AM) Reply
Lovingly detailed, beautifully executed - your twinset is so flattering on you! Thanks for revealing your process. I do think you can still take out a bit of width on the cardigan body at the crosschest 5" down from the high point shoulder. Especially if you cut this in a slightly stretchier knit. All in all another great ensemble from the deft hands of Mary Beth.
Danvillegirl said... (12/24/05 9:36 AM) Reply
MaryBeth, this is so helpful! I purchased this pattern and have had some difficulty decided the right fabric to use. Your review helped with that. My first attempt at the Plain &Simple T has prepared me to make numerous adjustments. You have made a very lovely cardiagan and top. Thank you for all the detailed information.
Lori Sews said... (12/24/05 8:36 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous!
Demming said... (12/24/05 8:12 AM) Reply
Wow! I just joined and this is the first review I really not only enjoyed, but learned something. I would like to know more details on the the triple-zz facing and where it is placed...great pics but I need a closer view. Many thanks....you are my hero!!
pharmercoon said... (12/24/05 7:30 AM) Reply
Mary Beth-it looks awesome! I'm really envious...I haven't even laid eyes on my sewing machine in over a month! Kay
Gigi Louis said... (12/24/05 7:00 AM) Reply
Mary Beth, your sweater set turned out great! I love all the details you added. They make for a very special garment.
ClaireC said... (12/24/05 6:14 AM) Reply
I have been anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the finished product. Oh my..it is a fantastic twinset. I love the trim, the bows, the fabric, the color...well everything. Thank you for the very detailed review and for including the details from the HP Thread that I know I would not be able to find again. Wow!!
Lori V said... (12/23/05 10:56 PM) Reply
Fantastic job, thanks for the great review. Your trim and details really make the outfit.
Peggy L said... (12/23/05 9:50 PM) Reply
Mary Beth - great reveiw and this looks so pretty on you. Thanks for all the details.
Debbie Cook said... (12/23/05 9:03 PM) Reply
MB, this looks great! I don't think I'd shorten the cardigan -- I really like this length on you.
Lilibet said... (12/23/05 8:29 PM) Reply
What a brilliant job you've done to produce such a wonderful looking twinset.
drsue said... (12/23/05 7:53 PM) Reply
My goodness! What a wonderful job you did! Fab review also.
PVA said... (12/23/05 7:27 PM) Reply
Oh my, Mary Beth, this twin set is really lovely! I echo & endorse every good word that has been said here! Thanks so much for the truly informative review & all the great photos.
PhyllisC said... (12/23/05 7:21 PM) Reply
Mary Beth - this is awesomne! L-O-V-E the custom trim made from the fashion fabric. Great review.
Chanel said... (12/23/05 7:05 PM) Reply
That's really lovely. Thank you.
GorgeousFabrics said... (12/23/05 7:01 PM) Reply
MB, I love this twinset! You did such a fabulous job, and the details are simply scrumptious! -Ann
bunz said... (12/23/05 6:54 PM) Reply
MB - you look absolutely lovely in this! Taking the time and all your details really paid off. It's definitely one-of-a-kind.
Melody said... (12/23/05 6:45 PM) Reply
MaryBeth, I love, love, love it. I really enjoy those magnificent details that you've added. You look beautiful in your stylish new twinset.
Leora said... (12/23/05 6:40 PM) Reply
MaryBeth, your twinset is gorgeous. Your knitted trim and chinese balls are the perfect touch to this style. Very nicely done!
joan said... (12/23/05 6:30 PM) Reply
Hi Mary Beth...love it, love it. Love all your very creative additions to the pattern.
Tailypo said... (12/23/05 5:30 PM) Reply
Really smashing. I think Hot Patterns is bringing a new level of stylishness and sophistication to many of our sewing rooms! Great looking twinset, and you look wonderful in it.
CarolynGM said... (12/23/05 5:20 PM) Reply
MaryBeth, this is truly a work of art. I enjoyed reading and viewing every detail about its creation.
Patti B said... (12/23/05 4:50 PM) Reply
My goodness, Mary Beth, you've written a sewing lesson -- thanks! Your details make this very special and it looks super on you. Enjoy wearing it!
AnneM said... (12/23/05 4:49 PM) Reply
You look all dolled up! Congrats on your outfit.
AliceB said... (12/23/05 4:48 PM) Reply
Love the buttons and pulled thread loop... I need to store these ideas away for future projects here. Thanks for the very thorough review.
Nickle said... (12/23/05 4:38 PM) Reply
Very beautiful. The color looks so nice on you. Love the buttons.
Leslie in Austin said... (12/23/05 4:33 PM) Reply
Lovely, MB! The color is really pretty on you and the chinese ball buttons are exceptionally cool.
shard said... (12/23/05 4:22 PM) Reply
really nice! inspiring, too!
Mary Stiefer said... (12/23/05 4:20 PM) Reply
This color is fabulous on your and the style is wonderful. Your additional embellishmens only make it more attractive.
Annie- oh said... (12/23/05 4:17 PM) Reply
Yes, you look soooo sophisticated and stylish in this, Mary Beth. We've been following some of these details on the HP thread, so it's especially nice that you finished it, and took photos for us - thanks - and where and when will you wear it first? Annie
Tiner W said... (12/23/05 4:04 PM) Reply
Beautiful details!
Queendom said... (12/23/05 3:59 PM) Reply
Great job! Like that you used this as an opportunity to try out different techniques (loved the idea of using pulled threads for the button loop).
els said... (12/23/05 3:49 PM) Reply
Mary Beth you look lovely, your creativity on the trims and adding the self made Chinese buttons results in a very nice elegant looking twinset. The added short sleeves are a plus too.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (12/23/05 3:36 PM) Reply
What a fabulous twinset MaryBeth, all your hard work sure paid off. Just love the chinese ball buttons and embellishments/trim. Great detail!
jlg said... (12/23/05 3:23 PM) Reply
What a fun, yet elegant, twin set. Great embellishing. You look wonderful in it Mary Beth.
Linda E. said... (12/23/05 3:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful sweater set. YOU really have a eye for the details. love them all
TarheelSewer said... (12/23/05 3:12 PM) Reply
MaryBeth, tres magnifique!!!!!! Since we're about the same size, would you FedEx it too me for my dinner tommorrow night, so I can forget the red one! When you scooped out the armholes did you also add to the sleeve? I tried scooping the armhole on the Fitted T, but ended up with diagonal lines on the sleeves. Nice idea to add sleeves to the tank; did you cut the cardigan sleeves larger to allow for this? Great twinset and review. Congratulations!
Trinity. said... (12/23/05 3:03 PM) Reply
Oh, it turned out sooooo beautiful. I love the keyhole back and the chinese ball buttons are perfect!
Teri said... (12/23/05 3:01 PM) Reply
MaryBeth your set is great! Very nicely done.
jemgirlca said... (12/23/05 2:54 PM) Reply
Very cute MaryBeth! I love all of the extra details you added, like the knitted trim and chinese ball buttons. Thanks for all of the detailed steps you added, too. That will help if I ever get around to making this one up. Oh yea, I like the cami with the added sleeves, too. I think I would do the same.

by: beanchor