Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB021WT (Weekender Travel Bag)

Reviewed by:Leslie in Austin

About Leslie in Austinstarstarstarstar
TX USA
Member since: 1/30/03
Posted on:5/3/06 6:33 PM
Last Updated:5/3/06 6:55 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
JDpenelope said... (7/4/09 7:48 AM) Reply
Hi, again Leslie! (I posted as penelope, above) Just printed out your helpful (as usual) review and am almost ready (a-hem) to attempt this pattern. With your tips and the updated instructions from the AmyButler website, am hoping for the best!
nancy2001 said... (3/4/09 2:45 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern and will use your very helpful comments to guide me.
ColorMeHome said... (2/1/08 5:46 PM) Reply
Super cute! Thanks for the tips! I am making this bag in a class next month and will use be sure to bring a curved needle!
JDpenelope said... (9/15/07 8:54 PM) Reply
Dynamite bag. Question is -- Do I want to go to all the time and trouble that you did (and I don't have your skills!) to get a bag this professional. Not sure, yet. But I love what you did with this pattern. Thanks for the realistic, detailed review. It helps me decide.
AlexaNJ said... (6/12/07 10:06 AM) Reply
It looks wonderful! I had a fairly trying time just making the chelsea tote, so I can totally understand what you mean when you say it gave you a workout cause it was cumbersome! I can only imagine! Beautiful job!!
HenriettenDK said... (12/20/06 12:30 PM) Reply
I wanna be your niece...no seriously, you are such an inspiration - I need to make pretty much all of your reviewed items as well now....
sewkal said... (6/29/06 3:55 PM) Reply
Catching up on my reviews..your bag looks phenomenal! I have this pattern, but I've been too scared to cut it out. You've given me confidence!
Sew it seams said... (5/5/06 11:14 AM) Reply
Leslie that is a fabulous bag! I love the fabric combinations. It looks so fresh and summery. It makes me want to run out for new fabric to make bags. No fitting- Now that would be fun!!
Hilary said... (5/4/06 5:02 PM) Reply
This bag looks fantastic! I am so glad you reviewed this, I have been wanting get this and make it up for my Dsis (and then one for me too :o) ) I appreciate all the details about the process, and the curved sewing needle-I think I have one somewhere..wait first I need to get the pattern :D
Debbie Cook said... (5/4/06 3:55 PM) Reply
That looks good enough to eat! I LOVE those colors. Great job Leslie. You are the auntie that ROCKS!
MarilynB said... (5/4/06 10:55 AM) Reply
This bag is too cute!! Great fabric choices. Nieces make a great substitute when you don't have a daughter to sew for, don't they? Thanks for such a detailed review.
PhyllisC said... (5/4/06 9:58 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag Leslie! Gotta make sure DD never see this review. ;)
ryan's mom said... (5/4/06 9:34 AM) Reply
Such a terrific-looking bag! Thanks for the great review and helpful hints.
casken said... (5/4/06 9:14 AM) Reply
I love that bag! The combination of the fabric is bee-u-tee-ful! Thank you for your great review!
jen_e said... (5/4/06 9:10 AM) Reply
I want this bag!!!! I would pay $$$ for it ready made in a store. Great job.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (5/4/06 8:56 AM) Reply
Your niece is going to love carrying that bag. It looks very well made, and I really like the fabric choices!
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/4/06 8:50 AM) Reply
Very nice Leslie! Your niece must be so proud to carry this around! Thanks for all the tips on construction. Deepika is right; the craftsmanship looks like perfection.
Peggy L said... (5/4/06 8:07 AM) Reply
Leslie - what a great bag!! You did a wonderful job on this. Love the fabrics your niece chose.
ConnieBJ said... (5/4/06 7:35 AM) Reply
Wow Leslie - that looks sooooo good. I just got this pattern in the mail yesterday along with the Cabo halter and the shopper bag - now you have shoved me into the "I had better get my rear in gear" phase!
Danvillegirl said... (5/4/06 5:25 AM) Reply
Great purse!! Love the fabrics used.
Stephanie C. said... (5/4/06 2:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag!
Mary Stiefer said... (5/4/06 1:10 AM) Reply
I, too, along with all the others - love this bag. The fabric choices are really great. You have more patience than I do. I will admire this bag from afar. Thanks for the great, detailed review.
PegL said... (5/4/06 0:16 AM) Reply
Love the bag!!! You did an awesome job! It looks very professional!
elizajo said... (5/3/06 11:28 PM) Reply
Love it! I used these two fabrics for DD's apartment-- it's a young, cheerful combo.
cmarie12 said... (5/3/06 11:09 PM) Reply
Leslie ~ that is just the cutest bag! I am sure your niece will love it!
Deepika said... (5/3/06 10:51 PM) Reply
Leslie, that bag does look challenging to sew but my first thoughts were on seeing the photo were -- how neatly you've sewn it. So precise and so perfect. This is really a masterpiece! Your niece is lucky!
sewnbysf said... (5/3/06 10:46 PM) Reply
Your niece is so lucky...great bag!
SansSouci572 said... (5/3/06 10:21 PM) Reply
Its gorgeous, Fun AND elegant!
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/3/06 10:04 PM) Reply
The fabric! The piping! Everything!!! It's perfect! :) -Ann
Patti B said... (5/3/06 9:55 PM) Reply
Just a darling bag. Love your niece's choice of fabrics and your special touches. It sounds as if it was a bit of a challenge to sew but the final result is worth it.
Lori V said... (5/3/06 9:45 PM) Reply
Wonderful bag, I bet your dn was thrilled. What a great aunt you are.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/3/06 9:07 PM) Reply
Great job on the bag, Leslie!! I am sure that your niece will be the envy of her friends with such a wow of a bag.
MelissaB in WA said... (5/3/06 8:50 PM) Reply
Oh I love the bag - you have one lucky niece!!!
Em's Summer said... (5/3/06 8:03 PM) Reply
That is just too cute!
Vonnevo said... (5/3/06 7:55 PM) Reply
beautiful everything Leslie. You must be the favourite aunt in your family, always making beautiful gifts for everyone.
mirielgw said... (5/3/06 7:38 PM) Reply
cute bag!
redsquid said... (5/3/06 7:30 PM) Reply
Way cute - lucky niece! Love the way the piping looks in that print.
bunz said... (5/3/06 7:27 PM) Reply
That's a real beaut! Great review - thanks.
Sue Anfang said... (5/3/06 7:20 PM) Reply
Very nice, love the fabric choices. I had the same problem with the pattern, glad to know it wasn't me ;-)
jnamcd said... (5/3/06 7:16 PM) Reply
Cute! I've been admiring this pattern--and combined with your choice of fabrics, this is a sure winner! Great job!
touran said... (5/3/06 7:13 PM) Reply
That is such a fun bag. Very nice work!

Favorite Things Happy Feet Pattern