Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6254 (Misses Tops)

Reviewed by:tigger

About tiggerstar
AE USA
Member since: 1/8/05
Posted on:5/28/06 2:07 PM
Last Updated:5/28/06 2:07 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
AnneM said... (6/18/06 3:53 PM) Reply
Yes, it does look like a maternity top. Which is actually one of the current styles, it seems. I can't wear empire-waist garments either, unless perhaps it is fitted through the waist.
fuzzygalore said... (5/29/06 2:52 AM) Reply
I'm belly challenged too, and I agree completely with time2sew: keep the gathers above the seam line... Or use darts. Something, just don't make a maternity top :-).
Elemenopeo said... (5/28/06 6:36 PM) Reply
I guess you could finish it off and donate it to a shelter as a maternity top. The fabric is very pretty. Throw the pattern away. Ish.
frame said... (5/28/06 5:38 PM) Reply
Very pretty fabric, but you're right. It screams maternity. Sorry it didn't work for you.
Em's Summer said... (5/28/06 4:29 PM) Reply
Sorry it didn't work for you, and thank you for this great review! Maybe you could try an empire with a fitted bottom?
Linda F said... (5/28/06 3:04 PM) Reply
I'm belly challenged also and I own quite a few empire tops. The key is to get a top that is not gathered below the empire line. When I looked at the photo before I read the review, I thought it was a maternity top. I have been going to the store and trying on styles before I make them. While RTW falls off the shoulders, are too big or darts don't point where they should, I can still see if the style will work. Good luck.
Mary Stiefer said... (5/28/06 2:54 PM) Reply
Oh gosh - I'm so sorry this didn't work for you but I certainly do appreciate the warning on this one. thank you for that.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns