Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 09-2006-126 (Coat 126 A)

Reviewed by:LMH

About LMHstar
Member since: 7/5/06
Posted on:10/9/06 3:48 PM
Last Updated:2/23/07 4:35 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 28 people

cecelia said... (2/24/07 3:20 PM) Reply
It's a very pretty coat--sorry you had so many problems with it. You deserve a medal for "a good save." I feel your buttonhole pain--my DH has put a framed picture of a firebreathing dragon with the caption, "Beware, making buttonholes," on my sewing room door.
fuzzygalore said... (2/24/07 6:08 AM) Reply
Oh, such patience is absolutely awsome... I have to say I really like your idea of a fur belt between the princess seams though :-).
Tany said... (2/23/07 8:13 PM) Reply
I did rate this review before... There should be a "Even More Helpful" button but there isn't... ;)
Gold said... (2/23/07 7:01 PM) Reply
Love the coat!!!!
librarylady said... (2/23/07 6:42 PM) Reply
Wow! I'd be thrilled if I'd come close to your 'bad buttonhole' version. Beautiful.
MissCelie said... (2/23/07 4:14 PM) Reply
I cannot believe how fabulous this looks!!
JenniferBee said... (2/23/07 3:07 PM) Reply
Great save, love the snaps and lining bars.
valerie sews said... (12/30/06 0:55 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat. I've got this edition of burda, I've got the material. I wasn't going to do a muslin but I will now..thank you for a helpful review.
thaiyal said... (11/22/06 2:45 PM) Reply
Awesome!!!!
LMH said... (11/13/06 10:46 AM) Reply
mrspenguin: well, to put the pockets on, you could try what I did, which was to attach each lining piece to its respective coat piece, then stitch down the side seam to the pocket piece, around the pocket piece back to the side seam, then down to the hem. In practice, this isn't quite as easy and straightforward as it sounds, which is why I thought following the pocket instructions might be better. But apparently those are as kooky as they sound? As for the collar, I sewed the darts up first, then treated it like any notched lapel, so maybe try that instead? The dart complicates things, though. If I made this coat again, I would sew the undercollar to the coat, all the way to dart, joining the dart in one fell swoop. Then I would just join the points as per usual with a notched collar. It's much more clumsy to join the darts first and treat them as an inset corner & probably not really warranted, since that isn't a very sharply square corner at the top of the darts. I think, any way. Hope this helps & Good luck with your coat!
mrspenguin said... (11/12/06 1:01 PM) Reply
I'm making this coat now and cringed when you said to follow the pocket and collar instructions. Neither make sense to me. I have my muslin hanging and I fiddle with it here and there to see if I can make sense of it. I also find that I've got these extra wings at the top of the front princess line--have to take it up a bit. Your coat looks fabulous, btw. I hope I can get mine to look as well once I get past my confusion.
blue mooney said... (10/10/06 10:22 PM) Reply
looks great! well worth your labor.
Lynngray said... (10/10/06 9:22 AM) Reply
Beautiful job. Looks great on you also
Deborah L said... (10/10/06 8:52 AM) Reply
Very good job. Love the lining
ACB said... (10/10/06 7:44 AM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous, great job!
fuzzygalore said... (10/10/06 4:27 AM) Reply
You probably would have done well to watch Sandra Betzina's video on handwovens before making this... Very good advice on loose tweeds, like the fact that interfacing won't stay fused :-). Also, forget matching buttonhole threads in the future - coats should have bound buttonholes anyway. Looks way more professional, wears better, and in the end much easier to do ;-). But yes, rayon does creep. Even Ambience, which is rayon, does a bit. That's why you have all those techniques with the fussy little overhangs at the hem, it's just acknowledging that you can't lay wool and rayon together and have a hope of stability. And I hope you pre-washed that rayon brutally, or you'll have the Incredible Shrinking Lining! Dry clean absolutely if it's the case. But you know what? This looks really great. You should listen to your husband and just drop it about the buttons, they're fine. When nobody but yourself minds something, it's time to move on to the next project :-). You can meanwhile look gorgeous all winter...
Sanibelle said... (10/10/06 3:55 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for such a thorough review. Your coat turned out beautifully, very RTW, except that if fits much better!
martinanne said... (10/10/06 2:22 AM) Reply
Great review! I really learned a lot. And I think your coat looks fab!
ElsaD said... (10/10/06 0:09 AM) Reply
The coat looks really good.
Evatgirl73 said... (10/10/06 0:03 AM) Reply
THANK YOU for this wonderful, informative and funny review! This coat is on my short list, and I will print out your review to have as reference. Thanks again!! Your coat turned out lovely, great fabric for it!
LMH said... (10/9/06 11:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the comments! Rhoda & bunz: I put the tip url in the appropriate place above in the review. Vonnevo & Tonya: yep, bound buttonholes would have been perfect, but I didn't plan far enough ahead. I looked in my books last night to see if I could do them, but apparently you can only put them in before you've sewn the facings etc. on. If I put them in now, the turned-through bits would show on the back, right? Hmm. Next time, I'm sampling buttonholes as part of the preliminary fitting/adjusting stage. I definitely shouldn't have waited till the end to work out what I wanted to do. Everyone: make coats! It's not that hard; this was just one of those "everything goes wrong" projects. But I've certainly learned an incredible amount, that's for sure.
lmg said... (10/9/06 10:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat. Beautiful fit and fabric too. It turned out nicely despite all your issues.
CarolynGM said... (10/9/06 10:16 PM) Reply
What a fabulous review and coat. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about the buttons until you mentioned it. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would probably never have noticed at all! I'm with you on tissue fitting -- muslins rule.
milwaukee_kelly said... (10/9/06 9:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Despite all the glitches, your coat really looks fabulous. I have had the hardest time finding the "right" plum color thread too. There's only like 4 different purple shades out there. What's up with that?
Tonya said... (10/9/06 9:01 PM) Reply
Well there have been plenty of comments already, but I can't help but add to them. Great great job!

I didn't notice the buttonholes until you talked about them, and I agree, they are a touch too far away from the overlap. However, I would imagine most observers wouldn't notice either. I completely understand how things like that can eat away at you until they just have to be fixed - I think your frog idea is a good one. I was thinking bound buttonholes like Vonnevo said - you could sew together one side of the buttonholes to make them look like a design element while moving the actual hole opening towards the center at the same time.

Anyway, you are inspiring. I was thinking about backing out of the coat sew-along on the boards because I haven't had time to even start, but yours looks so good that I just have to start on my own. Thanks for the excellent review!

bunz said... (10/9/06 8:53 PM) Reply
Would you pls add a link to your tip on lining corners? Thanks.
Vonnevo said... (10/9/06 7:59 PM) Reply
Totally fabulous !!! The fit is terrific and I love the lining albeit being problematic. Bound buttonholes work well in coats, specially when you can't get a thread match :) Thanks for sharing your coat with us.
Rhoda K said... (10/9/06 7:58 PM) Reply
Your coat looks great and a wonderful review - what patience!! I tried to find your tip on sewn lining corners, but can't locate it.
jewelsfashions said... (10/9/06 7:29 PM) Reply
Very nice! I think it looks great on you. Thank you for the very informative review!!! As I look at more rtw I realize we all are way too hard on ourselves. I have seen more mistakes on things I have bought lately.
candyo said... (10/9/06 7:10 PM) Reply
Love your coat, and the review!
Carolyndh said... (10/9/06 7:08 PM) Reply
For all the difficulty that making this coat held for you--WOW! The results are spectacular. Thanks for your information on preparing wool.
LBJ said... (10/9/06 6:49 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat, and I wouldn't have noticed anything about the buttons if you hadn't mentioned them and I still think they look nice. I love the lining, and yes Rayon does indeed grow. Thanks for the great review!
Susan M said... (10/9/06 6:43 PM) Reply
You did a wonderful job! Thanks for the details on how you conquered the pitfalls. They will be very useful for anyone making this coat. I love the lining! Rayon feels so good.
AliceB said... (10/9/06 6:38 PM) Reply
Fantastic coat. Bravo, Bravooo!! Very thorough review, thank you for this.
Ronda Rae said... (10/9/06 6:03 PM) Reply
Your coat is incredible. I love, love, love the lining! Beautiful work and great review.
Seamingly Simple said... (10/9/06 5:57 PM) Reply
A great coat enhanced by a fabulous lining. Wear it with pride. Kudos to you for not letting it get the better of you. Thanks for the helpful advice.
bunz said... (10/9/06 5:57 PM) Reply
It looks great! Cant' even see the buttonhole "problem". Thanks for reviewing this -- I'm serging my green nylon (fraying) raincoat pieces like crazy.
Janice C. said... (10/9/06 5:48 PM) Reply
Inspirational. (btw - interested in your comments on tissue fitting - some people have great success with this method, but I've never managed to get the hang of it - I too prefer muslins. )
Lori V said... (10/9/06 5:44 PM) Reply
Your coat is gorgeous
minieme said... (10/9/06 5:30 PM) Reply
It looks great for all your hard work.
PegL said... (10/9/06 5:25 PM) Reply
Your coat looks wonderful -- button placement and all! I wouldn't change a thing! Wear it with pride! You earned it!
sewingfordolls said... (10/9/06 5:09 PM) Reply
and it looks lovely on you...great looking coat.
Karen6790 said... (10/9/06 5:02 PM) Reply
I've never made a coat before, and this review has confirmed that my first one will not be from BWOF. You got a beautiful result, but I don't think I have your patience. No, I know I don't have your patience. Great coat, though, and you'll enjoy wearing it all the more knowing how much effort you you put into it.
Seaspur said... (10/9/06 4:46 PM) Reply
What an awesome coat! And your review is fantastic, thank-you. I have been thinking about making this one and the review will help me so much.
Mary Stiefer said... (10/9/06 4:38 PM) Reply
Great looking coat - very thorough review and the fact that it fits better than any RTW makes all the difference in the world.
jnamcd said... (10/9/06 4:38 PM) Reply
Wow--I think this coat looks great! I think the buttons look great, and I love the lining! Excellent review!
Stacy Sews said... (10/9/06 4:14 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this coat - I'm in the processing of making this one myself! I love your new coat, it turned out beautiful!.
SouthernStitch said... (10/9/06 4:01 PM) Reply
This coat looks totally RTW and your review is so helpful. You make me glad a coat is not on my menu though!

No Pattern Used Once Upon ASewing Machine