Pattern Reviews> Onion> 1032: jacket (Jacket for felted wool and kni)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:10/11/06 2:04 PM
Last Updated:12/6/06 4:22 PM

Vesta Patterns

bunz said... (12/10/06 10:50 AM) Reply
GORGEOUS! - oh yee of tiny waist:-)
drsue said... (12/8/06 1:34 PM) Reply
dreamdesigner: I didn't go into the binding method specifically, but here's how it works. I folded the binding strips so you have two layers of organza. this cuts down the sheerness of the binding so you can't make out the raw edges of the coat. the raw edges of the binding are on the wrong side. The sa's on the tie do show through, but it doesn't look bad.
dreamdesigner said... (12/8/06 12:31 PM) Reply
dreamdesigner said... (12/8/06 12:25 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous. Would love to see a close-up of the organza binding, and obi wrap -- having a hard time imagining how SAs aren't showing. Also, how can wool/mohair possibly be washable?
PhyllisC said... (12/7/06 5:02 PM) Reply
That's a great jacket Susan. I love the contrast between the wool/mohair and the organza.
slanden99 said... (12/7/06 3:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Nice work on adjusting the hat too.
cindyann said... (12/7/06 10:28 AM) Reply
Another lovely version. This is such a great pattern. The obi style tie is terrific! I made the short version without a hood and wear it all the time.
cecelia said... (12/7/06 8:35 AM) Reply
This is very pretty and unusual, and I love white coats even if they are impractical. Good for you having the courage to try something new--the Hong Kong seams.
MissCelie said... (12/7/06 7:36 AM) Reply
I love love love the organza!
sandrasdaughter said... (12/6/06 11:25 PM) Reply
lmg said... (12/6/06 9:45 PM) Reply
Stunning indeed. The hood looks great and the obi belt is TDF. It's gorgeous!
christine A said... (12/6/06 9:27 PM) Reply
Wow, I really like your short version the best. Really cute!
mewiththree said... (12/6/06 8:46 PM) Reply
The tie definitely makes it! Gorgeous!! I wonder if you could fake the fancy bow? Like maybe have some sort of closure disguised under the bow. So you wouldn't have to keep retying the bow when you want to remove the jacket.
Marji said... (12/6/06 8:23 PM) Reply
Lovely. Isn't it always the case that some of our favorite things are totally impractacle? Love the white with the silk organza.
frame said... (12/6/06 8:22 PM) Reply
Really beautiful.
BeckyC said... (12/6/06 8:00 PM) Reply
I love it! I love it! I love it! Even as impractical as it seems, it would be a thrill to wear such a stunning jacket. The silk organza obi is just the finishing touch. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration.
Leslie in Austin said... (12/6/06 7:06 PM) Reply
So lovely, Susan! Neat idea to trim it with organza. Would love to see a photo of it on you.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (12/6/06 7:06 PM) Reply
Impractical - who cares, when a jacket looks like yours! Great job in downsizing the hood. Love the organza ties!
CarolynGM said... (12/6/06 6:51 PM) Reply
Your new jacket is adorable, and very elfin indeed! There's just something about hoods, in any shape or size, that I love. Your fabric looks beautiful, and how wonderful that it is washable!
carolynw said... (12/6/06 6:10 PM) Reply
Oh this is to die for!! It is beautiful
Lilibet said... (12/6/06 5:54 PM) Reply
Both versions are gorgeous.
Stacy Sews said... (12/6/06 5:31 PM) Reply
Wow - what a stunning jacket. This was one of the jackets I was looking at yesterday on the onion site....I may have to get one!
jnamcd said... (12/6/06 5:16 PM) Reply
Oh my gosh--I absolutely love this 2nd version!!! I don't care how unpractical it my be, it is lovely!!! The silk organza bow is I think what sets it off for me! Love it!!!!!!!!
Sew4Fun said... (12/6/06 5:12 PM) Reply
Nice jacket. The ties and hood may be impractical but I like the look.
hongkongshopper said... (12/6/06 5:09 PM) Reply
Another great rendition! It looks so comfy!
Schnauzer said... (12/6/06 4:58 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket drsue!
Cheryl Reeves said... (12/6/06 4:49 PM) Reply
Very elegant jacket, very well made.
Vonnevo said... (12/6/06 4:34 PM) Reply
Love your updated version too drsue ! Beautiful fabric and trim - perfect :))
carolynw said... (11/10/06 8:38 PM) Reply
Beautiful - what more can I say. The workmanship is just soooo professional and the result just wonderful. Congrats.
solosmocker said... (11/10/06 6:34 PM) Reply
BEautiful construction. You have left me inspired.
dvazz said... (10/13/06 8:57 AM) Reply
And here I thought you had gotten too busy for the coat sew along...turns out you went and sewed the whole thing while the rest of us were still mulling over our directions. :) Beautiful coat!
SBanks said... (10/13/06 5:08 AM) Reply
What a unique coat! You've done a fabulous job making it your own. The short jacket with the obi tie would not be weird! I can see it, go for it.
drsue said... (10/12/06 2:05 PM) Reply
franatic: click on the merchant tap on the top of this page and find the ShopONION ad. this will take you the the Onion patterns webite.
milwaukee_kelly said... (10/12/06 1:15 PM) Reply
The back darts are really great. Your contrasting thread really brings them out nicely.
AuntieShel said... (10/12/06 12:17 PM) Reply
Wonderful, of these days I will make a jacket--and hope it comes out as good as yours. Thank you for the link to the fabric. Where does one buy Onion patterns?
OP Gal said... (10/12/06 10:45 AM) Reply
Fabulous coat. Very chic.
cindyann said... (10/12/06 10:06 AM) Reply
I just had to come back and say that I just ordered this pattern. Karla is right about it appealing to us "balmy" weather girls. What's with that? ;)
Danvillegirl said... (10/12/06 5:13 AM) Reply
Love your deconstructed look with this coat. I actually like the pattern very much. When seeing the back, I thought I might want to try this one as us swayback people need flattering back styles and this looks like it would be.
MariaDenmark said... (10/12/06 2:12 AM) Reply
Sue - it's brilliant! I had no idea how to make lapped seams - thank you for the great explenation!
Now, if only it wasn't so cold here, I would make this coat too - maybe in spring :-)
Karla Kizer said... (10/11/06 8:27 PM) Reply
Why does this jacket have so much appeal for those of us in balmy climates? I bought the pattern, too. It's obvious thatl you really enjoyed making this one. The result is fabulous.
hongkongshopper said... (10/11/06 8:22 PM) Reply
Yes, it is bery high end boutique looking! Very nice indeed!
frame said... (10/11/06 6:42 PM) Reply
Very nice. The fabric is beautiful. Great review.
CarolynGM said... (10/11/06 6:35 PM) Reply
Fabulous coat -- very distinctive in style, details, and color scheme. It sounds like it was a really fun project too. You and Img probably helped sell a boatload of these patterns.
jemgirlca said... (10/11/06 5:55 PM) Reply
Love the jacket and fabric choice!
Vonnevo said... (10/11/06 5:13 PM) Reply
Fabulous drsue! The coat pattern is a winner and you definitely have a very high end looking coat. Just love the fabric, colour, trim and techniques. Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Leslie Bonner said... (10/11/06 4:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat! I just ordered this pattern. I am using a double faced wool. It would be reversible except the darts would show if I wore it inside out. I like your idea about sewing the dart, then placing your ribbon.
drsue said... (10/11/06 4:21 PM) Reply
Img: I just ordered fabric to make the jacket! I think it could be lined easily. also you could do buttons if you wanted. It just has so many possiblities. Lining would require drafting some facingings.
lmg said... (10/11/06 4:07 PM) Reply
Wowzie! Beautiful coat with the lapped seams and topstitching detail!! The back is great too. I just ordered more fabric to make the long version LOL. I think your idea with the obi like version would be stunning. What do you think about lining it?
Izzie said... (10/11/06 3:44 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I just re-read a Threads article about lapped seams (#103 pg 58). What a great idea to use SAS and your coverstitch machine.
Ann Smith said... (10/11/06 3:20 PM) Reply
Very beautiful. I really like the brown top-stitching detailing.
Sanibelle said... (10/11/06 3:05 PM) Reply
Beautiful! Love the color and the deconstructed seams. I bet the printing presses in Denmark will be humming round the clock to meet the run on this pattern that you and lmg must have started. It's on my list :)
bunz said... (10/11/06 2:59 PM) Reply
Love the lapped seams - great-looking coat!
Sew it seams said... (10/11/06 2:58 PM) Reply
Love it! The wool is wonderful and the seam technique you used is really nice.
cindyann said... (10/11/06 2:20 PM) Reply
That is "Very high end boutique looking". Lovely combination of technique and color. I hadn't taken notice of that pattern before and I'm really intrigued. Lots of design options. I think your idea of an organza silk tie is fabulous.

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2013-112