Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> Sewing for Toddlers Book (T-shirt)

Reviewed by:khurtdvm

About khurtdvmstarstar
Member since: 8/6/04
Posted on:10/11/06 8:04 PM
Last Updated:11/18/06 11:33 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Toddlers
slanden99 said... (10/13/06 6:13 PM) Reply
Cute shirt and cute little boy too. When I hem knits with a twin needle I use a plain straight stitch (3 length), stretching the fabric slightly as I sew. Whenever I use my sewing machine's stretch stitch, the seams and hems get stetched out and puckered.
joyousewing said... (10/12/06 4:59 PM) Reply
Great review. I like KS patterns. This will be on my wish list for my DD's. I make a KS shirt for myself and had the same effect with my double needle stitching. I 've read or seen a show that said you have to sew with only one needle and sew it twice to avoid the puckering. It's the knits. Thanks for the review. Cute shirt. Your DS seems happy with it.
pterion said... (10/12/06 10:49 AM) Reply
What a doll! Love his cute shirt - I'm just about to trace off some pants from this wonderful pattern book (the shorts were a staple for us this summer). I agree about adjusting the tension to avoid hem puckering. Very little tension and if you can find it, put Steam-A-Seam Lite inside the hem. That does the trick for me!
Hilary said... (10/12/06 8:55 AM) Reply
What a cutie pie :o) My kids all make goofy expressions (the oldest is 12 and he still does it sometimes, lol) Great job on the shirt! I love this book too-and recommend the childrens' book too! BTW, stich witchery for hems is wonderful to keep them from puckering. It does tend to make for a non-stretchy hem though. If you can, lowering the foot pressure a bit while hemming can reduce the wave as well.
Monica G said... (10/12/06 7:55 AM) Reply
Congratulations on a cute shirt. My tip for knits (caveat here--I am new at knits as well)--but I use fusible web (I think it is Dritz stitch witchery--I got it a JoAnne's). It does 2 things--eliminates needles while hemming and prevents the hem from stretching and puckering while sewing. I have been pleased with the way my knit hems come out using this method.
marycds said... (10/12/06 0:35 AM) Reply
He's cute as can be. I have this book as well as the baby one. You've inspired me to trace off some patterns for my granddaughter. With the twin needle you can try some stabilizer underneath, even paper to help.
MelissaB in WA said... (10/11/06 9:47 PM) Reply
What a sweetie your son is! He looks like he loves his new shirt and you should be proud, it's lovely! As for the twin needle stitching, practice my dear. It can sometimes be frustering. Also make sure your tension isn't too tight as that can cause some grief too.
AnneMarie60 said... (10/11/06 9:27 PM) Reply
Excellent job with the ribbing. Cute outfit--and such an adorable young man.
Lynngray said... (10/11/06 9:12 PM) Reply
He's so cute. Like shirt also.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (10/11/06 8:25 PM) Reply
Goofy expression?? He's darling!! (The shirt's cute, too.) Rhonda
christine A said... (10/11/06 8:18 PM) Reply
I think he is adorable! So cute! You did great!

StyleArc Lynne Skirt