Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6860 (6 - 16 Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Leslie in Austin

About Leslie in Austinstarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/30/03
Posted on:10/22/06 2:00 AM
Last Updated:10/22/06 5:05 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Kids(boys & girls)

Other Projects by Leslie in Austin using this Pattern

olbiddy said... (10/24/06 7:32 PM) Reply
Your Jezabel, my Cali - they could be twins. Now only if I was as tall and slim as you.....
Karla Kizer said... (10/24/06 9:52 AM) Reply
Leslie, I'm so glad you had more of the fabric. The sarong is a great finishing touch. You're going to enjoy having this dress.
JaneH said... (10/23/06 5:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress!!
OP Gal said... (10/23/06 2:54 PM) Reply
Cute dress. Adorable cat, too.
Peggy L said... (10/23/06 10:52 AM) Reply
Great dress! It looks really nice with the new necklace. You'll be the best dressed person at the resort. Please tell me it is not in the path of the hurricane?? DD is going to the west coast of Mexico on her honeymoon so we are watching!
Harriet Rogers said... (10/23/06 10:37 AM) Reply
I like this very much Leslie, especially with the sarong worn both ways. This is the perfect outfit for your big 10th! Have a great time: for sure, you'll be the best looking and best dressed woman at the resort.
milwaukee_kelly said... (10/23/06 10:26 AM) Reply
L, what a cute dress. It's simple silhouette is nice, and it gussies up well with the additional wraps. Jezebel is quite adorable, too.
Danvillegirl said... (10/23/06 5:14 AM) Reply
Nice dress. Love the sarong idea. Enjoy your trip.
patsijean said... (10/23/06 1:04 AM) Reply
Straps are done that way all the time... Wear this great dress with a smile.
BeckyC said... (10/22/06 10:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful sundress! It doesn't scream like you think it does. Your outfit and accessories are put together to well to scream homemade! I love the different looks you get with the sarong. I can smell the salt in the air and feel the sand between my toes just looking at your outfits tonight!
JDpenelope said... (10/22/06 8:26 PM) Reply
Yes, the sarong kicks it up a notch. Great outfit. Does Jezebel have a foot fetish, along with that fashion sense?
CSM--Carla said... (10/22/06 8:00 PM) Reply
The saraong sure adds SIZZLE!!! Very nice! Great idea--is it just a rectangle of fabric--or did you use a pattern? Amazing how it adds to the look. Carla
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (10/22/06 7:09 PM) Reply
Jezebel loves you, there is not a doubt. Gorgeous dress, and it does in NO way say, "Hi, I'm Leslie, and I make these". :)
CSchiffgens said... (10/22/06 5:13 PM) Reply
Very cute and great necklace. Cute and good taste too - what a guy! I like all the links you added.
CSchiffgens said... (10/22/06 5:10 PM) Reply
Very cute dress and great necklace. Cute and good taste too - what a guy! I like all the links you added.
Leslie in Austin said... (10/22/06 3:37 PM) Reply
Wow everyone! Thanks for the overwhelming comments! I think what makes this dress seem "happy hands at home" is the straps. They're not cut on as part of the bodice, just tubes sewn into the bodice edge seam. Also, although it's a really luxurious rayon batik, when I look at the finished dress, it looks like clothing made from quilting fabric. All that said, after one umbrella-adorned adult beverage on the beach, I'm sure I'll love this dress. :-) I've added a few links to the review, including a closeup of the great necklace and another photo of the kitty who attended my mini fashion show.
Ann Smith said... (10/22/06 3:13 PM) Reply
It looks great to me (and I think the cat likes it too).
BjP said... (10/22/06 3:06 PM) Reply
I'm curious as to why you feel this is too "homemade" looking. I think we all don't see that so am wondering what you weren't pleased with. It looks great to me - and I am in envy of that waistline of yours! :)
CSM--Carla said... (10/22/06 2:55 PM) Reply
What a great fabric, jewelry combo. Sophisticated! I'll bet this is cute on you. Enjoy your anniversary trip, Leslie! Thank you for sharing. Carla
Deepika said... (10/22/06 12:55 PM) Reply
Lovely dress Leslie. Love the necklace too. Happy anniversary!
Lyera said... (10/22/06 12:27 PM) Reply
Classy and gorgeous - and the fabric is exquisite. I agree with others that there's nothing homemade about this dress, not to mention that your design changes are smart. BTW, it would really be worth the trip to Kerrville to pick up some fabrics there - thanks for the tip. (I'm also lost in Austin).
MelissaB in WA said... (10/22/06 12:18 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress!!! Defintely doesn't look like a "Made By Happy Hands at Home".
PegL said... (10/22/06 11:30 AM) Reply
Looks just like a classy high dollar boutique shop dress! Great review! You're going to look amazing in your new wardrobe on your trip! Have fun!
Stacy Sews said... (10/22/06 10:32 AM) Reply
It's beautiful - I love the color and the changes you've made. It doesn't look homemade at all!
Rhoda K said... (10/22/06 9:06 AM) Reply
Home-made? No way - it's beautiful.
carolynw said... (10/22/06 9:00 AM) Reply
Unbless there is something hidden in your picture I cannot understand why you think it looks home made. It is beautiful and I love the fabric - this is one to show off!!
blue mooney said... (10/22/06 8:51 AM) Reply
I don't detect the home-made look at all! You will look fabulous on your trip!
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (10/22/06 8:35 AM) Reply
Your cat seems to be absolutely bedazzled by your hot dress. Congrats on a well-done job and a super-clean house!
Mermie said... (10/22/06 7:38 AM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous and does not look home made to me at all. Great work Leslie!
GorgeousFabrics said... (10/22/06 7:23 AM) Reply
O just love your dress, and your necklace is faboo!
CarolynGM said... (10/22/06 6:53 AM) Reply
Very helpful details on the alterations and construction changes. I hope we'll get to see pictures of you wearing your creations when you get back. Love your bright-eyed friend in the background.
Sanibelle said... (10/22/06 6:00 AM) Reply
I agree with the others; absolutely nothing home-made looking about this dress. I'm in awe of your ability to look at a simple pattern and make it special. Your choice of fabric is perfect for your tropical destination. Have a wonderful trip!
Marie-Claude said... (10/22/06 4:25 AM) Reply
I LOVE your fabric! It's gorgeous!! (the dress too, of course ;-)) And no, it doesn't look homemade, if you ask me.
RuthieSews said... (10/22/06 3:18 AM) Reply
it looks lovely and not at all home-made looking.
All About Linings