Pattern Reviews> Onion> 2014 (knit wrap dress)

Viewed 2060 times

Posted on:10/29/06 11:38 AM
Last Updated:11/5/06 12:26 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
JDpenelope said... (11/6/06 7:41 PM) Reply
Your comments about the collar are interesting, because it looks so special in this photo. Thanks for your detailed instructions.
Sanibelle said... (11/6/06 8:18 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for such a detailed review and for showing us both versions. I love the black stitching on grey. A very elegant dress!
AnneM said... (11/5/06 8:07 PM) Reply
Good info, Susan! I like the subtlety of the grey dressn.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (11/5/06 7:08 PM) Reply
Gorgeous. The collar is just fantastic.
Erica B. said... (11/5/06 4:50 PM) Reply
What an adorable wrap dress!
lmg said... (11/5/06 4:12 PM) Reply
This new version is quite elegant. Another Onion pattern for my list
drsue said... (11/5/06 3:16 PM) Reply
dreamd: the fabric is rayon lycra (EOS). Yes, the "trim" is the underside of a coverstitch. So in this case the straight double needle look is on the inside of the dress. You could probably do somthing similar with a regular double needle if the bobbin tension is really low.
dreamdesigner said... (11/5/06 3:11 PM) Reply
I really like this Sue. What is the grey fabric? And the black "trim", is that the coverstitching? I'm not familiar with this, and considering I already have 3 SMs, 1 serger, and 1 EM (sort of), I'm definitely NOT in the market for a machine that only accomplishes what looks like double needle topstitching, but I DO like it!
CarolynGM said... (11/5/06 2:26 PM) Reply
The black coverstitching really makes the new version very special. The collar sounds tricky, but it looks very, very nice.
Ann Smith said... (11/5/06 2:03 PM) Reply
Your end result looks excellent. I love the black stitching that really sets this dress off.
MariaDenmark said... (11/5/06 12:35 PM) Reply
The grey dress is very elegant! I was going to try the collar on my next (winter) version - so thank you for the heads up!
milwaukee_kelly said... (10/30/06 11:36 AM) Reply
That back is really lovely
slanden99 said... (10/30/06 11:09 AM) Reply
Very pretty--I love the ribbon
SBanks said... (10/30/06 5:14 AM) Reply
Great dress and "bathrobe" did not come to mind when I first saw the picture. I've just got into Marfy patterns, and now I'm getting lured to the Onion patterns . . . . could be a worse addiction.
Danvillegirl said... (10/30/06 5:08 AM) Reply
Nice dress. I like the look of the ties in the back.
BeckyC said... (10/29/06 10:23 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and fabric! Can't wait to see it in the grey -- that will be a classic!
Lori Sews said... (10/29/06 8:12 PM) Reply
Very nice. I love the tie.
frame said... (10/29/06 7:53 PM) Reply
It's very pretty. Doesn't look like a bathrobe.
lmg said... (10/29/06 7:31 PM) Reply
Very pretty. This looks like another great Onion pattern. Thanks for all your tips on altering. They appear to be similar to mine.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (10/29/06 4:58 PM) Reply
It looks very nice. Great drape and great neckline.
JDpenelope said... (10/29/06 4:27 PM) Reply
Nice job. I'll bet it looks very pretty on you.
hongkongshopper said... (10/29/06 4:16 PM) Reply
Dr Sue, that is lovely. The X on the back is cute - must copy that on something :)
drsue said... (10/29/06 3:50 PM) Reply
Carolyndh: I'm calling this the Rhorshac (sp?) Inkblot Test dress. There really aren't faces in the pattern but you can "see" such things if you use your imagination. Thank you all for your nice comments. The dress actually looks better on me than it does on the dress form (something that's not always the case.)
Heatherrique said... (10/29/06 3:40 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! Chic and flattering!
Zaneta said... (10/29/06 3:36 PM) Reply
I love it, looks like a really nice comfortable style...
Carolyndh said... (10/29/06 3:18 PM) Reply
Drsue, Does the pattern of the fabric have a facial image? Couldn't tell for sure, but I really like the effect! For someone with the trim waist such as yourself, no doubt this will be a very flattering style with many compliments!
CarolynGM said... (10/29/06 3:00 PM) Reply
No way it looks like a bathrobe. Instead, it's very shapely and cute with its crossed ribbon belt and fitted torso. I just received my first order of Onion patterns and can't wait to try one.
sewbehind said... (10/29/06 1:06 PM) Reply
Great dress that doesn't look like a bathrobe! Looks very pretty and I like the crossed ties at the back.
Elona said... (10/29/06 11:55 AM) Reply
What a cute dress, drsue! It looks very trim and sleek, and the ribbon ties give it a nice little kick.
MelissaB in WA said... (10/29/06 11:50 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress Sue! It definitely looks nothing like a bathrobe. I really need to try an Onion pattern, but I've been so busy sewing lots of Ottobre patterns since the kids need clothng worse then me. Sounds like some "mommy" sewing is in order. Enjoy your beautiful new dress! :-)
Donna H said... (10/29/06 11:48 AM) Reply
WOW, It's really pretty. I am amazed at you ladies who don't need the instructions that much. It looks great for a wearable muslin. Thank you.

PerfectFuse Light White