Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 06-2005-111 (Top)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02
Posted on:11/6/06 2:41 PM
Last Updated:12/29/06 3:22 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 28 people
Katharine in BXL said... (12/30/06 6:25 PM) Reply
I love it! You did a great job bring this to 'life' in a knit.
cmarie12 said... (12/30/06 5:59 PM) Reply
Debbie ~ can I just add my gushing comments to the rest! It is an absolutely stunning top! I saw it on your blog and thought how cool. You did a great job interpreting it and made me look twice at this pattern.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (12/30/06 12:11 PM) Reply
I LOVE these tops! I was wondering how the "drawstring tie" detail worked. Thanks so much for your great informative review. fabulous style. can't wait to make some too out of knits. Contrast knit binding looks so cool. AND the beads.
JDpenelope said... (12/30/06 9:52 AM) Reply
Sewing fast doesn't "slow down" your professional results. This top is simply amazing.
34state said... (12/30/06 8:28 AM) Reply
I love this pattern! How do you obtain the pattern now if you don't have that issue?
Debbie Cook said... (12/30/06 0:31 AM) Reply
dreamdesigner, I use the glue stick to "baste" the two fabrics together in the seam allowance area, with a line of glue dots. This works great for washable fabrics/garments since the glue stick is water soluable. It dries quickly and doesn't gum up the needle because it's dry and it's in the seam allowance, not the seam.
Heatherrique said... (12/29/06 10:36 PM) Reply
Very pretty top! I also enjoyed your blog, Debbie! ~ Louella
dreamdesigner said... (12/29/06 8:32 PM) Reply
Debbie, once again lovely. You create such professional looking things, and I LOVE the combo of the sheer fabric over the fleshtone knit. I've often thought about doing this, but was unsure about how to go about it. I'm curious as to HOW you used the glue stick. I've seen some fabric very similiar to this at Hancocks and everytime I see it, I'm intrigued, but unsure about what to do with it. Off to look at you jeans review.
Lori V said... (12/29/06 6:58 PM) Reply
Another great new top, Debbie.
Nancy K said... (12/29/06 5:47 PM) Reply
This top is nice too. I have to get around to making one Since you obviously have a lot of fabric, (The background of your photo} I am assuming you buy because it looks wonderful and you can't resist it, not necessarily for a specific project. Do you have specific amounts that you order for tops?
Vonnevo said... (12/29/06 5:29 PM) Reply
Debbie, love your "mad dash" top. The colour is perfect for you, coordinates beautifully with your new jeans amd looks fabulous.
sewbehind said... (12/29/06 5:19 PM) Reply
Looks good...again! You have wonderful tutorials and reviews. So helpful.
Seaspur said... (12/29/06 3:59 PM) Reply
Wow! another winner. Love the fabric.
Sherril Miller said... (11/12/06 12:30 PM) Reply
Debbie, this is my new favorite top too. Too bad I don't have that issue. (Now I'm feeling sorry for myself, boohoo) You did a great job and thanks for all the pics. I love that fabric too.
lmg said... (11/7/06 4:45 PM) Reply
I agree. This is a VERY flattering top for you. I have always wanted to see this top made up. Excellent helpful tips too.
slanden99 said... (11/7/06 1:13 PM) Reply
milwaukee_kelly said... (11/7/06 12:15 PM) Reply
Very nice!
ACB said... (11/7/06 11:40 AM) Reply
You look great!
Carolyndh said... (11/7/06 11:16 AM) Reply
I just echo what everyone else has said--totally awesome top. Did you say somewhere which BWOF this pattern came from?
AndreaP said... (11/7/06 10:20 AM) Reply
I love your top. It's so flattering! It's my new favorite, too.
Debbie Cook said... (11/7/06 9:57 AM) Reply
Wow! Thanks so much everyone! I can see that I must make more of these.

christine A, the pattern software drafts to my measurements so no manual FBA is needed. There is no "size" except custom for my measurements. HTH

Lorna, The trim is a lightweight/silky rayon/Lycra knit. It's very slippery and gave me a bit of a fit in my binder so I cut the strips a bit wider for a little more "beef" as it fed through.

dvazz said... (11/7/06 8:55 AM) Reply
I love it! The fabric is really gorgeous, and the style and color look great on you!
KinDE said... (11/7/06 8:34 AM) Reply
Thank you for such a helpful and detailed review of this style and its construction.
Nancy K said... (11/7/06 8:31 AM) Reply
As usual a great and informative review. I love seeing your reviews because I too have to do an fba and seeing how you do it is a big incentive to tackle tops like this. I too can't buy off the rack tops like this either but it is extremely flattering on you and you encourage all of us with 'goddess bodies' to try new things too.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (11/7/06 6:12 AM) Reply
Very nice - perfect fit and fabric. Your ties are impeccable looking, and the beads on the ends are just fabulous.
PixieCat said... (11/7/06 5:22 AM) Reply
It's beautiful! I love the beads and style.
hongkongshopper said... (11/7/06 5:11 AM) Reply
Ooh, I really like this one! The combo of the fabric, beads and cuffs - very noice! I like what I see...
Helen near Sydney said... (11/7/06 1:57 AM) Reply
kremmer said... (11/7/06 0:30 AM) Reply
Thanks for a great review. Very inspiring.
PVA said... (11/6/06 10:35 PM) Reply
Wow, do I love that fabric! The top is absolutely beautiful & your construction techniques are awesome! The review is so detailed Burda should consider having you write their instructions. (If that ever happens I might decide to try some of their patterns!) (Fat chance!)
MelissaB in WA said... (11/6/06 10:25 PM) Reply
I have had my eye on the pattern in my Burda WOF magazine since it was published. I'm not sure why I have yet to make it, but you've inspired me. The top looks gorgeous on you and I adore your fabric choice. I'm also happy to know the knit fabric worked out so well. I appreciate the very helpful review!
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (11/6/06 9:56 PM) Reply
Fabulous top. You lok great in it. Thanks for terrific review!
OP Gal said... (11/6/06 9:49 PM) Reply
Adorable top, Debbie, and you look great in it. I'll rest easy knowing you won't ignite yourself with your cuffs. Great detailed review. Thanks.
BeckyW said... (11/6/06 9:43 PM) Reply
Debbie, your top is just beautiful. If it were me, I would make one in every color!
Lori V said... (11/6/06 9:06 PM) Reply
Fabulous, Debbie. Love the empire detailing, the tie and the beads. It is all just grand, I can see why this is your new favorite.
Danvillegirl said... (11/6/06 9:04 PM) Reply
Lovely top. Love the fabric, looks rather fallish and perfect for Florida.
christine A said... (11/6/06 8:41 PM) Reply
Deb, I love your tutorials and reviews for these styles especially. Did you do a FBA with you pattern software? Did you use you normal size?
Jacqui315 said... (11/6/06 8:03 PM) Reply
The top looks fab on you!!! Who are those mid boob seams made for anyway? I have the same problem.
moushka said... (11/6/06 7:46 PM) Reply
Debbie, you're a real inspiration to us +size sewists. The fit is impeccable and I just love the beads and contrast binding. Beautiful, beautiful work. Sue
tlmck3 said... (11/6/06 7:40 PM) Reply
That looks wonderful! That mid-boob seam thing makes me NUTS. I really think lots of women think that's the way it SHOULD be. Empire tops make me nervous because I am large busted, but you have made this one look very tempting. It's beau coups flattering!
JDpenelope said... (11/6/06 7:35 PM) Reply
I LOVE IT! (Sorry about shouting.)
Kay Y said... (11/6/06 6:59 PM) Reply
Wow - great timing for me as I just pulled this issue of WOF out with a view to tracing the same top. This looks wonderful. So nice of the sewing goddesses to cut you some slack.
CarolynGM said... (11/6/06 6:52 PM) Reply
This is one of my favorite tops that I've seen you make. It is extremely flattering on you -- make about 25 more.
Vonnevo said... (11/6/06 6:49 PM) Reply
Another fabulous top and excellent review. I wish there was a 5***** category and a VERY VERY helpful button for your reviews :) I love the sleeves too.. great inspiration from Belinda there.
Dale C said... (11/6/06 6:44 PM) Reply
I will have to come back to read this again! I saw this top and thought about making it too, but I don't have a nice woven. I'll try it in one of the nice knits I have too! Thanks for the review Debbie. Looks great.
Sew4Fun said... (11/6/06 6:22 PM) Reply
Love it, love, love it! The fit, fabric, style, beads and of course those cuffs. I recognised them instantly when I saw the pattern pieces. :)
Rhoda K said... (11/6/06 6:15 PM) Reply
As always, a great looking top and a great review. Your reviews are always so helpful. Thanks.
Donna H said... (11/6/06 6:00 PM) Reply
As usual, ALL your hard work/determination pays off. Looks great!
Lorna C. Newman said... (11/6/06 5:53 PM) Reply
Great top, Debbie! I love the fabric's colours. What did you use for the trim?
Moxie said... (11/6/06 5:40 PM) Reply
Another winner. The inside of your garments look as good as the outside. Thanks for the detailed review.
Ann Smith said... (11/6/06 5:39 PM) Reply
Looks great. I love that color and print on you.
vespabelle said... (11/6/06 5:28 PM) Reply
ooh I love it. I've been afraid of sewing an empire waist top but this gives me more confidence to do it. (I saw a slender small-breasted woman on the cover on a magazine and her empire waist top hit her across the breasts so it's not just a problem for the endowed! )
AngieC said... (11/6/06 4:24 PM) Reply
I love the style and the fabric!
Levone said... (11/6/06 4:21 PM) Reply
Lovely top!
Skymom said... (11/6/06 4:15 PM) Reply
Looks nice on the dress form, but so much better on you. Whatever steps you had to go through to get the fit right, it was worth it--this is really flattering!
mrspenguin said... (11/6/06 3:59 PM) Reply
I love that print fabric. And I am very jealous of the stash I saw in the background of one of your photos!
carolynw said... (11/6/06 3:55 PM) Reply
I just love the top and the fabric is gorgeous.and it looks wonderful on you. Don't wear this while cooking - wear it out on the town - that's where it belongs!!
Lynngray said... (11/6/06 3:44 PM) Reply
Look great on you. And wonderful review.
dreamdesigner said... (11/6/06 3:41 PM) Reply
Debbie that's just lovely. I was all prepared so see another muslin saga! Glad to see you didn't have to go thru that again. I see LOTS of women wearing RTW tops where the underbust seam hits them about mid-boob (definitely NOT a problem for me, but my dd has this problem) and I have to say I always think that if they could sew, they wouldn't have this problem, but again, I have just the opposite problem! Fortunately, I generally don't have to make any adjustments.
Leslie in Austin said... (11/6/06 3:21 PM) Reply
Super lovely!!
Seaspur said... (11/6/06 3:20 PM) Reply
So you've just insprired me to dig out this BWOF issue. Love the top, great review, thanks!
cindyann said... (11/6/06 2:51 PM) Reply