Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4068 (Threads Perfect Fit Pants)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02
Posted on:11/30/06 10:23 AM
Last Updated:12/29/06 3:13 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 42 people
Nancy K said... (3/5/07 10:51 PM) Reply
Very nice Debbie. YOur blog is a great resource and congrats on sewing pants that fit.
Nancy Peters said... (1/8/07 1:57 PM) Reply
I too decided to sew a pair of jeans over the holidays. After doing a Google search on jeans sewing, I gave up. Too bad I didn't find your blog. Google has gone downhill. And didn't you take apart a pair of Walmart RTW jeans and make a pattern. What happened? Did they go the way of the never-ending-search-for-the-PERFECT-pant-pattern. AND I would LOVE to see how you incorporate SB zipper installation with fly facings. I use it but know there has to be an easier way than my cut, fiddle, sew, cut, fiddle technique. I am sure you have found it.
Miss Fairchild said... (1/5/07 9:09 AM) Reply
Debbie, absolutely perfect...again! Your hard work and determination show! You're a great teacher and take lots of pictures (my favorite way of learning)
cecelia said... (12/30/06 11:38 AM) Reply
Debbie, thanks so much for all your work and especially for sharing it with us all--awesome fit and wonderful photos.
Sherril Miller said... (12/30/06 10:27 AM) Reply
Debbie, I'm green with envy with the way you can just whip out a pair of jeans. I think I'm just too oddly shaped for pants. Yours look fantastic. Keep those reviews coming.
dreamdesigner said... (12/30/06 0:54 AM) Reply
Great fit, execution as always. I have ask about the 'Magic Wardrobe" also.
Athene said... (12/30/06 0:23 AM) Reply
Dear Debbie, thank you so much for the detailed FED explanation and diagrams on your blog - I wish I was taking a pant workshop in person from you - you are a Master indeed, I'm going to give this FED a try in the new year. Once again thank you so much.
Debbie Cook said... (12/29/06 11:12 PM) Reply
Sewbehind, the "Magic Wardrobe" is a fun nickname given to just setting aside a garment for a few days after completion. A bit of time and distance seem to work "Magic" on garments that may have frustrated or underwhelmed during the construction process.
carolynw said... (12/29/06 10:48 PM) Reply
Very nice Debbie and I love the pretty little touches with the pocket lining and so on. Great fit.
Heatherrique said... (12/29/06 10:31 PM) Reply
Debbie, looks great! Your top and pants are exceptional knock offs of the sky high priced Neimy Marky outfit!
sewbehind said... (12/29/06 5:10 PM) Reply
Those are so flattering on you, Debbie. Jazzy pocket bags too. May I ask what the Magic Wardrobe is? Curious....
Nancy K said... (12/29/06 4:49 PM) Reply
I do admire your perserverence or should I say obsession? Congratulations on your success and I hope that you wear your pants proudly.
Jane S said... (12/8/06 9:35 AM) Reply
Debbie, Wow, your detailed instructions are jst what I needf since I have exactly the same issues in pants. Thank you, thank you, these area great Christmas present. And yes, I'm in Florida for the winter so I would gladly come for any fitting workshop from you!
AnneM said... (12/6/06 4:47 PM) Reply
It's nice when a plus pattern has a plus model! Those look great on you. You really have this pants thing down. I'm following Leslie down for the fitting workshop. :)
2BSewing said... (12/3/06 4:54 AM) Reply
Wow!!! Great looking pants. Thanks for sharing your tips on fitting. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Very informative. Hint, hint, hint: I think if you have a fitting class...people will come. :)
Stacy Sews said... (12/2/06 9:08 AM) Reply
Fantastic looking fit! You look great. Thanks for all the great information.
Evatgirl73 said... (12/1/06 10:00 PM) Reply
Wow Debbie, what an awesome fit you have acheived!!!
LauraM62 said... (12/1/06 10:00 PM) Reply
Those pants look great Debbie! You amaze me at the determination - you are motivation for me!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (12/1/06 6:41 PM) Reply
Well, you've just invented 'jean slacks'. I really like the look! Beautiful fit and beautiful construction details.
hongkongshopper said... (12/1/06 5:35 PM) Reply
Debbie, the "slacks" look great! You have really perfected the fit. With all the trials and tribulations you and Belinda go through, I think I will stick to skirts ;)
ACB said... (12/1/06 3:23 PM) Reply
Great review and a nice fit.
sideseams said... (12/1/06 3:05 PM) Reply
Debbi, I think Vonnevo has summed this review up perfectly. I agree 100%. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge with us. The pants fit you so well!
Erica B. said... (12/1/06 12:41 PM) Reply
Great looking pants Debbie... I read all of the details on your blog... great review!
Elaray said... (12/1/06 5:40 AM) Reply
Your work paid off! The fit is great. Thanks for all the detail in this review. It's very helpful.
Danvillegirl said... (12/1/06 5:22 AM) Reply
Great job! One day I want to visit you and work on fitting pants for me! Great and helpful review. Photos are soo helpful!
keelyb1 said... (12/1/06 4:48 AM) Reply
Oh Wow, Debbie! I've followed the tale on your blog as well. I'm in awe. Please come to NZ......please, please.....
keelyb1 said... (12/1/06 4:47 AM) Reply
mastdenman said... (11/30/06 11:00 PM) Reply
These are some great looking pants. You've nailed. it.
KarmenG said... (11/30/06 10:39 PM) Reply
That fit is awesome! Beautiful job - thank you so much for all the info and the time you spent giving us the detail.
KiwiWendy said... (11/30/06 10:20 PM) Reply
I'm bouncing at this review Debbie ... I completely missed this pattern before, and I'm after slacks not jeans patterns. My britches road is severely potholed as well.
drsue said... (11/30/06 10:13 PM) Reply
You are a fit master!!!
mClones said... (11/30/06 9:37 PM) Reply
You have got incredible patience and stick-to-it-tiveness. I wish my butt looked like yours--I mean my pants butt! ;) Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your process so meticulously. I have to go meditate on this...I'm going to soak in the bath.
OP Gal said... (11/30/06 7:23 PM) Reply
Love those pants. I'll have to study up on that tutorial you linked before I tackle a "master" pants pattern. Thanks for doing all the work for the rest of us. :-)
bunz said... (11/30/06 5:21 PM) Reply
You really nailed it on these, Debbie. They look great! Hope whatever jeans you try will be easier because of this journey:-)
Sew4Fun said... (11/30/06 5:05 PM) Reply
Awesome fit Debbie! Woohoooooo! It was worth all the emails and head scratching. :)
Vonnevo said... (11/30/06 5:00 PM) Reply
Debbie, your pants are fabulous. Your perseverence is to be admired and your kindness in sharing your pants fitting journey with us, is very much appreciated. Thank you :)))
BeckyC said... (11/30/06 4:36 PM) Reply
Great looking pants Debbie! Thanks for sharing all the helpful adjustments you made on these pants. You've helped out a lot of us today.
woggy said... (11/30/06 4:19 PM) Reply
Wow - terrific! Here is a thought. In viewing your blog, I noticed you cut down your front at the waistline. Could it be that you are a "petite" in the front and a regular size in the back. I am beginning to think that is my problem. On the "Petite Plus Patterns" webiste a satisfied customer of Pant Pattern 601 wrote that this pattern fit her petite front and regular back. Can hardly wait for the weekend so I can try your alterations on my pattern.
Marie_P. said... (11/30/06 3:56 PM) Reply
WOW! You look like such a skinny little twig in those. Your pants are an excellent example of how the proper fit in a garment can be so flattering to the wearer!!!!
Levone said... (11/30/06 3:37 PM) Reply
Debbie, great looking pants that look fabulous on you.
KristenI said... (11/30/06 3:19 PM) Reply
Wow, they look great! Thanks for all the detailed steps,explanation and photos. I'm learnin'!
mlt said... (11/30/06 2:44 PM) Reply
Your bum looks awesome! You've mastered that fisheye!
milwaukee_kelly said... (11/30/06 2:34 PM) Reply
Fabulous fit Debbie!
Donna H said... (11/30/06 2:32 PM) Reply
What's to add??? These are GREAT! Congratulations...You've done it!! They're not perfect...but then only Jesus was perfect. Great job, Debbie. Please post whenever you schedule that pants fitting workshop, ok?
Donna H said... (11/30/06 2:32 PM) Reply
LBJ said... (11/30/06 2:25 PM) Reply
I'd make a million of those if I were you!
redsquid said... (11/30/06 2:14 PM) Reply
Thanks Debbie - I've been reading PP FFRP and tuning into the idea that a wedge may be the way to go for some "additive" alterations rather than just moving out beyond the seam allowance - your pattern pieces marked up for alterations and photos really show how well this can work. Thanks for figuring this out, now I need to get some "cat whisker" (rather than fish eye) pants going! ~Linda
Sewliz said... (11/30/06 2:12 PM) Reply
Wow, nice fit, Debbie! I have recently come to a similar pants fitting conclusion, interesting.
Sewshot said... (11/30/06 2:05 PM) Reply
Wow, what a wonderful review. I've book-marked your fisheye dart instructions for the day when I finally begin working on fitting pants for myself. Great pictures, wonderful markings for the pattern changes.
CarolynGM said... (11/30/06 1:43 PM) Reply
Your perseverence is very inspiring. I need to lock myself in the house and churn out muslins like you did until I figure out how to alter for bowlegs. Your pants are darn near perfect.
Mermie said... (11/30/06 1:10 PM) Reply
Your review is so helpful. I think the pants look great on you. You have inspired me to make myself a pair of pants that fit. Now I'm determined.
JudyP said... (11/30/06 12:42 PM) Reply
Debbie, Your jeans look great! Have you tried S. Betzina's jeans pattern? alos a great fit for us plus size girls!
Liane M said... (11/30/06 12:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for this great review. I have this laid out to make. I'm looking for slacks so maybe I'll have an easier time with the pattern. I agree that the model needs to "untuck"
blue mooney said... (11/30/06 12:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the details, Debbie! Your pants look great. I may need to purchase this, if only to read about the menswear waistband.
touran said... (11/30/06 12:06 PM) Reply
Debbie, I learn so much from you. And these pants fit *incredibly* well. I'm wowed.
sewbehind said... (11/30/06 11:56 AM) Reply
Wow, Debbie, those pants look good. I bet this will go in your tried and true bunch. I am going to read your blog. Thanks for the review.
Luckylibbet said... (11/30/06 11:43 AM) Reply
Thanks for the updated info on wedge alteration in your blog! I've done the FED and it didn't work for me - and I think the wedge isn't quite it either - but your statement to add fabric where it is needed has me going hmmmm. I'll take another look. As always, terrific, extremely helpful review!
PVA said... (11/30/06 11:30 AM) Reply
Debbie, thanks for another great review! I will have to try this pattern. I'm still not quite satisfied with the one I'm currently using as a "TNT". Your pants look awesome & if you're going to be doing a pants workshop I do want in!
RuthieSews said... (11/30/06 11:27 AM) Reply
Just had a read of your blog and it makes my head hurts, but I will give it a go with a muslin at some point.
Debbie Cook said... (11/30/06 11:19 AM) Reply
Lorna, good idea! I think I even have that pattern. If so, I'm definitely going to see how it compares.
Carolyndh said... (11/30/06 11:19 AM) Reply
Looks like your research and hard work on perfect-fitting pants paid off! Very nice! Yeah, I agree about the photos of the models on the pattern--I remember thinking that the aesthetic effect of the fitted and tucked in tops was not a pleasing one.
RuthieSews said... (11/30/06 11:18 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review. I shall go and read up further on your blog about the fitting alterations. I have bought this pattern but not yet tried it. I wanted it for a slacks pattern but would not wear it as tight as the model on the picture. I think the photos show the tops tucked in so you can see the man's style waistband.
Leslie in Austin said... (11/30/06 11:11 AM) Reply
Okay, that side view has me sold. I'm coming to Florida for a pants fitting workshop with you. Hope the Money Pit's guest room is ready!
Lorna C. Newman said... (11/30/06 10:57 AM) Reply
Debbie, I have followed your trip down this road and have learned a lot from your experience. Have you tried the Jalie jeans yet? Being a bit fluffy myself, I found them to fit well with few adjustments even though I made them a few years ago (before I started fine tuning my pants). There are lots of sizes in the pattern as well. These pants are very nice indeed!
Leslie in Austin said... (11/30/06 10:54 AM) Reply
Woo Hoo!! Look at the fit on the back of those pants!!! Congrats on your persistence and your success. Thanks for sharing the details of your fitting adventures. I've learned a lot from your trials. Hey, any chance you could post a side view photo too?

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2007-115