Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 01-2006-131 (Tee w/vertical seaming)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02

Posted on:12/15/06 8:50 AM
Last Updated:12/15/06 8:50 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 31 people
mClones said... (1/21/07 12:01 PM) Reply
Debbie, I just caught a glimpse of your T on the sidebar. Love it. Do you know how I can get this issue?
purpleseamstress said... (12/23/06 11:58 AM) Reply
Very flattering. I like the vertical lines going in at the mid-section. It's slenderinzing, but still shows off the feminine cuves of the bust.
Sherril Miller said... (12/18/06 6:48 PM) Reply
Cute T. I like the seaming with the bust shaping. Wish I had that pattern.
milwaukee_kelly said... (12/18/06 10:27 AM) Reply
This is a great top. Love the print, and now am lusting after a coverstitch machine!
KiwiWendy said... (12/17/06 5:17 PM) Reply
Lurv the fabric ... and thank goodness you had enough to recut the back. Now I'm going to have to hunt down a back issue of this issue. They're so fashion forward, that I counted on that when I got WoF every month.
candyo said... (12/17/06 7:52 AM) Reply
This is a great style! And no FBA- fabulous!
Helen near Sydney said... (12/16/06 4:21 PM) Reply
Debbie, do you think this pattern would lend itself to panels of different fabric? or even just the contrast side panels?
mrspenguin said... (12/16/06 12:58 PM) Reply
If that's your fabric stash in the background of your muslin, I am envious! I like how you "topstitched."
Debbie Cook said... (12/16/06 11:08 AM) Reply
Carolyndh, Burda WOF reviews follow a naming formula ... if you look at the top of this review, you'll see the pattern "number" is 01-2006-131. That means it's issue 01/2006 and design #131. HTH.

Phyllis, Burda uses CB seams in tees every now and then. This one doesn't have any shaping per se, but the seam would make it easy to incorporate a sway back adj if one needed it. I toyed with cutting it on the fold -- and after the print layout mishap cursed myself for not doing so -- but I do like the seam for the extra bit of detail it adds.

Carolyndh said... (12/16/06 10:14 AM) Reply
Debbie, Fantastic top! What BWOF magazine did this top come from? I would like to find a copy of this issue. This is a great top and you look wonderful in it.
PhyllisC said... (12/16/06 9:35 AM) Reply
Debbie. the coverstich is a great detail. Also - I'm just curious - why is there a center back seam? Is there shaping on that seam? I can't recall ever seeing a center back seam on a t-shirt.
Marji said... (12/16/06 9:25 AM) Reply
Great top and excellent info in your review. Love what you did with the topstitching.
AnneM said... (12/16/06 8:56 AM) Reply
Great job, really nice top. The seaming shows perfectly. Makes me wonder if I should get BWOF.
Nancy K said... (12/16/06 8:29 AM) Reply
Great review as usual. Lovely top.
cathy45 said... (12/16/06 8:12 AM) Reply
Another great top--this one is really flattering to you. Love the coverstitching.
Deb Fox said... (12/16/06 7:02 AM) Reply
Deb, as always, you are the sewing Goddess! What a wonderful top. I always look forward to your reviews. I am always so inspired by your willingness to share so much information, and your work is always superb. I am just on the edge of plus size, but I absolutely love the lines of this T and will try it myself. Ditto on the thoughts about Burda. I have magazines from 2000 that I still use because the styles are just so fashion forward.
Danvillegirl said... (12/16/06 6:55 AM) Reply
Love the top. Great suggestion on checking the paisley print layout, second back photo really shows this. As always great job on the pattern and review.
Elaray said... (12/16/06 5:52 AM) Reply
Great review. This style is on my "To Sew" list. I'm going to make sure it gets moved closer to the lop of my list. Your results look great.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (12/16/06 5:40 AM) Reply
Debbie, this is a fantastic review. I love hearing now only what you did, but WHY. Thanks for sharing your 'process'!
AnneMarie60 said... (12/15/06 11:06 PM) Reply
It's not "just" a T. Very stylish. I learned great tips from your excellently written review. Great pics also.
Lori V said... (12/15/06 10:49 PM) Reply
Very pretty, Debbie.
Izzie said... (12/15/06 7:50 PM) Reply
Great top! I love the fabric and the coverstitch detail.
slanden99 said... (12/15/06 7:36 PM) Reply
Beautiful t-shirt! I really like the "topstitching"
Erica B. said... (12/15/06 7:25 PM) Reply
an adorable top. I heart the seaming!
artist1lisa said... (12/15/06 7:12 PM) Reply
Very nice.Flattering fit.I must try it.
Sew4Fun said... (12/15/06 6:05 PM) Reply
Pretty top. I like how you did the decorative coverstitching over the seams.
OP Gal said... (12/15/06 3:57 PM) Reply
Great looking top and I love the creative topstitching. Makes me wish I could lay my hands on a copy of that magazine. Also, I love it when you show your finished garment in front of your stash, so I can show the picture to DH and say, "See? I told you my stash is pitiful!"
hongkongshopper said... (12/15/06 3:54 PM) Reply
Debbie, I really like this top, particularly what you did with the seaming. Very noice touch!
Liane M said... (12/15/06 2:09 PM) Reply
Fabulous, just fabulous!! I love reading your reviews. I have this magazine and I never even gave this tee a sceond thought until I read your blog! Now I HAVE to make this. I'm thinking about using a wonder cotton lycra from Timmel with a little contrasting coverstitching for the topstitch embellishment. I can think of so many variations to use with this pattern. Thanks again for bringing to my attention and working out all the bugs! Edited to correct my typos
Vonnevo said... (12/15/06 1:46 PM) Reply
Fabulous everything Debbie ! ! ! ! The variations for this top are endless. I have always admired it and plan on tweaking it for me some day..but as you mentioned, the To Sew List for BWOF gets very long.
Rhoda K said... (12/15/06 1:41 PM) Reply
Good looking top as I love paisley, too. Ditto all comments above on your stash!!
Christen said... (12/15/06 11:54 AM) Reply
Debbie, I always enjoy reading your reviews. However, this time I'm totally envying your stash! My dresser pales in comparison to your closet.
CarolynGM said... (12/15/06 11:44 AM) Reply
Once again, you've taken a simple style and made it very, very special. Well done.
Cheryl Reeves said... (12/15/06 11:00 AM) Reply
Debbie, you look beautiful in this top. It fits great.
PVA said... (12/15/06 10:56 AM) Reply
Oh, Debbie, that fabric is beautiful -- I love paisleys! Thanks for yet another detailed review. That pattern is great! The reversed coverstitch on the seams is a wonderful touch!
Lorna C. Newman said... (12/15/06 10:27 AM) Reply
Debbie, I love this top! The seamlines are very flattering indeed! I can see this in a plain colour with contrast coverstitch for a very sporty look or even some piping on the outside seams. I've been following on your blog but have been unable to leave a comment since you changed to beta.
cecelia said... (12/15/06 10:19 AM) Reply
Debbie, I really like the pattern and your changes to it came out so well. I'm also jealous at how organized your stash is!
Loreli said... (12/15/06 9:45 AM) Reply
Wow, I like it. Its on my list to do.
moss said... (12/15/06 9:09 AM) Reply
the shirt is beautiful but HOLY COW look at all that fabric in your closet! :)
kmouse said... (12/15/06 9:03 AM) Reply
It's a super t-shirt and the seaming is really sharp. As always, your reviews are great. I learn something every time I read your posts. Thanks.

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern