Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2966

United States
Member since: 9/16/04
Posted on:3/21/07 2:52 PM

KateS said... (12/1/08 8:34 AM) Reply
Besides the dart issues I think this is a really beautiful top- I can understand why you wanted to use this fabric. Pity the fabric is not as lovely to sew as it is to look at. I will be keeping this in mind if I ever feel like coughing up the money for real silk....
AnneM said... (3/25/07 5:08 PM) Reply
Tuck this in the closet for a bit and you will suddenly find it very wearable. Charmeuse can be difficult to work with, and likes unstructured construction. I tend to agree w/ fuzzygalore - if a pattern requires too many alterations, you are better off using a different one as your base.
CarolynGM said... (3/22/07 8:37 AM) Reply
Really an excellent review. I've never sewn with silk charmeuse, but now I know to avoid anything with darts! Still, in spite of your troubles, the top is very pretty.
Jane S said... (3/22/07 7:24 AM) Reply
I'm sorry that this didn't work out as planned but I'm grateful for your review. I have this pattern on my to sew pile and now have to consider how much effort it may take to make it work.
Mary Stiefer said... (3/21/07 11:18 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful top.
Karen8320 said... (3/21/07 7:37 PM) Reply
Terri, I understand your frustration about having to address so many issues with this top. However, I think it looks quite lovely and I would even go so far as to say glamorous. Sometimes we are far more critical of our work than others ever are. Thanks for your review. I found it helpful.
carolynw said... (3/21/07 6:33 PM) Reply
Terri I have been in the process of making a silk charmeuse blouse and the dart thing was a real problem - I ended up extending the dart over my bust point to try and not look too whatever. The pattern I used is one I had made three blouses from so it was a TNT - I think this silk charmeuse must have a tendency to show off darts in a most unflattering way!! I hope you will stick with this and work it out - expensive material and you have already put a lot of effort into it - revisit after a few days.
fuzzygalore said... (3/21/07 5:35 PM) Reply
Yes, charmeuse was probably way too slippery, drapey, everything for this top. You might have been able to improve the darts by curving them a bit, or can't you press them better? Anyway, you should definitely give up when you start doing this many alterations :-)..
JenSews2 said... (3/21/07 5:19 PM) Reply
Looks pretty, despite your trouble!
Kay Y said... (3/21/07 4:34 PM) Reply
I think you achieved a really lovely-looking top, despite your trouble with it. Maybe a FBA would make a difference in the front, but I think the back looks like it fits well. Enjoy wearing it!
Gold said... (3/21/07 3:05 PM) Reply
You did a lot of hard work and it came out wonderful. Great job.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

No Pattern Used No Pattern Used

by: AmberSage

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Pattern (JC303PD)

Victory Hazel Paper Pattern